View Poll Results: The milking is...

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome! Shiny new unitzzz! CA take my money!

36 12.16%
  • Disgusting. At least, the DLC gave me some ideas about how should we treat CA.

260 87.84%
Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "Beast of War" DLC Discussion

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Default Official "Beast of War" DLC Discussion

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...43#post1056343

CraigTW:

We are delighted to announce the next forthcoming DLC for Total War: ROME II – the Beasts of War unit pack, which will be available to buy next week.

Marshall your savagery, and strike primal fear into the hearts of your enemies. Comprising seven new battlefield units, Beasts of War brings further variety to ROME II’s already diverse unit roster.

Terrorise your enemies and slow their progress with beehive, scorpion and snake-pot ballistas, or crush them under the weight of heavily-armoured Cataphract Camels and Mercenary Syrian Armoured Elephants. And when their will is broken and they flee the field, run them down with two new breeds of ferocious war-dogs.

• Molossian Dogs

Can be recruited by: Epirus

A heavily muscled beast from western Greece, the now-extinct Molossian is considered to be the predecessor of many of today’s larger breeds, such as the Rottweiler and Great Dane. Used as both a guard dog and in battle, Virgil remarked “never, with them on guard, need you fear for your stalls a midnight thief, or onslaught of wolves, or Iberian brigands at your back.” These vicious dogs do not tire easily, and never lose the scent of an enemy.

• Beehive Onager

Can be recruited by: Rome, Athens, Epirus, Macedon, Sparta, and Syracuse

Whilst large-scale beekeeping for agricultural purposes was a later innovation, the humble honeybee nevertheless held an important place in ancient Greek culture. A trio of mythical nymphs, the Thriae or ‘bee maidens’, were loved by Apollo and Poseidon, bearing their children. Bees also have a practical application in battle, as a swarm of angry bees will always cause troops to stall and panic.

• Scorpion Pot Ballista

Can be recruited by: Pontus, Parthia

Home to the most lethal scorpions in the known world, whose sting can paralyse and kill a man within an hour, it was only a matter of time before a wily Middle Eastern general used them against his enemies. Spare a thought, then, for the Roman emperor Severus; whilst besieging the Parthian city of Hatra, his army was showered with pots of scorpions from atop the city walls. Like Trajan before him, Severus failed to breach the defences, even after two attempts.

• Snake Pot Ballista

Can be recruited by: Carthage

Perhaps the most famous use of potted animals was Hannibal Barca’s tactic against the fleets of Eumenes II of Pergamon. Hurling large clay pots full of venomous snakes onto the decks of Eumenes’ ships; he panicked the enemy fleet and won the day. Any unit struck by writhing, venomous snakes will pause to consider the wisdom of marching onwards!

• Camel Cataphracts

Can be recruited by: Parthia

The Roman general Macrinus was not noted for his experience, although had another fought the Battle of Nisbis in 217 AD, it’s hard to imagine he’d be any less stunned by the Parthian cataphract camels fielded that day. Wearing coats of tough, yet flexible, scale-mail, they made an awesome and terrifying sight as they punched through the frontlines and spooked the Roman horses with their camels’ earthy stench.

• Celtic Warhounds

Can be recruited by: Iceni, Cantiaci, Caledones, Demetae, Dumnonii, Brigantes, and Ebdani

Dogs have always been useful for guard, patrol and scout work. With skilled handlers they can also be used effectively on the battlefield. Attack dogs were specifically bred and trained to ignore the noise and chaos of combat. The Celtic tribes of the late Iron Age put them to great use. Their speed and ferocity made them ideal shock-troops, and perfect for running down fleeing stragglers.

• Mercenary Syrian Armoured Elephants

Can be hired as mercenaries in: Dura, Antioch, Tyros, and Palmeira

Indian elephants first came to the Middle East when Seleucus, one of Alexander the Great’s Successors, invaded India in 305 BC. 500 war elephants were handed over as part of the peace treaty between the Seleucid dynasty and the Mauryans of India, and the Seleucids went on to breed many more from this initial stock. War elephants remained an important part of the Seleucid army until their defeat by the Romans at Magnesia in 190 BC, following which they were forbidden from breeding more.
    Someone must be running out of innovative revenue techniques these days... At least the picture is cool.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; February 12, 2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Title
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Tiro

Default Re: Quite Possibly the Least Impressive DLC so far (Announced)

yep..

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

errrrr...another shameless cash grab while the game is still not fully functional...this getting ultra annoying

Warhounds, Camel Cataphracts, Onagers, Warelephants, Whats all that crap,guys ? How about you posted the people to join the fix the siege AI team ? "............." What ? "..............." Oh,you say that doesnt make money and you would need to stop patching then ? "............" Oh,yeah,I see...my bad.
    Last edited by chris10; February 12, 2014 at 12:08 PM.

LewisVee's Avatar Semisalis

Terrible. Just terrible

Indefinitely Banned

Default CA in the Zoo!

It's official, boys and girls.
    Beasts of War are on their way!
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ack-announced!

It's a good thing to know that CA continues the honourable tradition of DLC (Disc Locked Content), as this thread and video proove.
    Any thoughts about the milking, gentlemen?

EDIT: It's worth to be mentioned that Rome Total War had Camel Cataphracts from the start, while Medieval II had the option to switch your ammunition to rotten... cows. A bit cleverer, more practical and much more honourable, I think.

Last edited by Prince Regent George; February 12, 2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Jafar!

*insert futurama " i dont want to live on this planet anymore" meme*
    "Antifa Against Fascism!" - Well, obviously.......

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

someone with information about the estimated price ?

It is at least clear now... its not the AI programmers, or animators or other people working on this game, that are to blame for this... This is solely on TW Project Leader. He set goals for after launch development incorrectly, therefore teams are working on nonessential things instead of working on things players want to have... i don't remember seeing any post here or at TotalWar.com asking for bee hive throwers and similar... yet, what players wants, is ignored.

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Already has a thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...f-War-quot-DLC

This DLC had better cost next to nothing, Ł8 for the amount of content in CiG was just about reasonable, but this is really about 50p worth of new stuff. If they charge over Ł2 that'll really take the biscuit.
    Last edited by GussieFinkNottle; February 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

People have been complaining about the lacking roster of Carthage and some other factions, and this helps to fix it. It will probably not cost much, plus it will probably be free for a week or so.

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post
    Well you know how we are here mate

I just wanted to thread up the confirmation that yes, in fact CA will be making you pay more for artillery that their own AI can't functionally use during a siege battle.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Pontic Pontus View Post
    People have been complaining about the lacking roster of Carthage and some other factions, and this helps to fix it. It will probably not cost much, plus it will probably be free for a week or so.
    You gotta be kidding...how will add one unit to some unit rosters fix anything ? Some people are never short of an excuse...as hilarious and absurd as it may sound...rrrrrrrrrrr

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Only syrian elephant, camel cataphracts and maybe molossian war hounds sound good, rest... not interested. My worry is only about price of dlc.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

so does this mean if we already had camel cataphracts moded into our games(they've been there since release, I bought the bloody game so I reserve the right to mod them in myself) they will now become illegal and contraband? Will the cyber police come to my house(by cyber police I mean Craig and Will) and demand 4.99?

Campidoctor

How about flaming scorpions.. the bees could be on fire too.

There's nothing quite as terrifying as seeing a burning bee.
    Last edited by SirRobin; February 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM.
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Lord Baratheon's Avatar Decanus

Wat.

CA.. I don't even..

Ive tried to get back into the game and cut CA some slack recently, but what on earth are they doing. Beasts of War. Seriously? Just what is that going to bring to the game? Nevermind patching, or political system or heck, even a faction pack, Nope they are proud to annouce the beasts of war.

I can understand this may have been pre-planned but couldn't they have cancelled it. Truly, the phrase "fiddled while rome burned" has never been more fitting.

Remember, remember, the third of september, the Rome II treason and plot. I know of no reason why pre-order treason should ever be forgot.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

the question everyone wants to know now is.... Scorpion and snake venom javelins special ability? please CA please!!

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

"Home to the most lethal scorpions in the known world, whose sting can paralyse and kill a man within an hour"

But... but... The battles last just minutes

Were there somekind of outcry for missing bee-hives and snake-pots I missed?

Ok, in all seriousness, this is DLC? I'm not sure how to feel about this. I guess you can see it as positive that it is optional content? How about the price?
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; February 12, 2014 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    errrrr...another shameless cash grab while the game is still not fully functional...this getting ultra annoying

Warhounds, Camel Cataphracts, Onagers, Warelephants, Whats all that crap,guys ? How about you posted the people to join the fix the siege AI team ? "............." What ? "..............." Oh,you say that doesnt make money and you would need to stop patching then ? "............" Oh,yeah,I see...my bad.
    Shamelessly self-quoted from another thread...I may need to macro this for the next week or so:

People in general, and disgruntled forum dwellers in particular, seem to struggle to understand that development does not have one static pace, and that development efforts run in parallel (that is, many things occur at the same time).

The people who create and release new units are, in staggering likelyhood, not the same people who're working to iron out the issues. You also can't pull a unit designer away from what they're doing and tell them to go hunt bugs in the Political system (which they probably haven't ever worked on before) or work on optimization (which they are almost guaranteed to have no familiarity with). Software development is not Burger King....you can't pull a guy off of fries to go help make burgers and expect any level of efficiency or success.

So, should that unit designer just stop working while his comrades in other areas hunt bugs? Maybe some folks feel CA should simply lay them off, and hire temporary designers (who, again, would have no familiarity with the code or product) to replace them for a month to hunt bugs?

There's not a bit of indication that the release of these units had a second's or a penny's worth of impact on the ongoing optimization/fix efforts. It's one thing to be frustrated if you feel progress hasn't been sufficient. It's entirely another to use that frustration to justify nonsensical accusations.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    It is at least clear now... its not the AI programmers, or animators or other people working on this game, that are to blame for this... This is solely on TW Project Leader. i don't remember seeing any post here or at TotalWar.com asking for bee hive throwers and similar... yet, what players wants, is ignored.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast