Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask questions on HTW's Lore

mcloud's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Ask questions on HTW's Lore

I don't know the name but if it is usually used for sushi than probably.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "You had thought you won, but your mind failed to realize that everything that happened was my plan to begin with. I had let you win all those inconsequential battles since they never affected the outcome. The servants that fell to your blade were nothing but pawns, and now that you life is about to end by my blade you will realize how hopeless the cause you fought for was and how meaningless your life and your comrade's lives were." --mcloud

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Gohma are not edible. Their bodies are filled with all sorts of lovely toxins.

So are puffer-fish, and yet people still consider it a delicacy. Granted, people carefully remove all the toxins, and some still die anyways, but that's the price you have to pay for gastronomic luxury, eh?

Apani's Avatar Senator

Putting trivia aside for a moment, a question more useful for the game would be asking how sharp are the claws of the various gohma compared to human weapons, or the exact thickness of their exoskeleton compared to human armour.

The latter has already been answered long ago:
    Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    6. Gohma
    - Their exoskeletons are about as durable as bones are, so a well placed blow probably could crack it.
    - Gohma will not retreat until the general is killed, in which case they begin to lose their connection and go into a panic.
    But what about claw/mandible sharpness and strenght?

HisRondity: I would rather consider the Gohma to be poisonous like some snails, wandering locusts or other invertebrates are, (Well, like the Gohma themselves). As for example of larger animals, Greenland sharks flesh is full of substances poisonous to any possible predators, including humans while the shark itself does not suffer from it. That would mean that there would be no separate poison glands but the blood, or in the case of a Gohma, haemolympha itself would be poisonous.

Effectively to eat an animal with poisonous blood, you would have to boil the whole insect repeatedly and always throw away the water. Even then it would be quite risky to eat. Just like with some edible but highly poisonous mushrooms like morel. It would mean obnoxious amount of work just to be able to eat something most likely foul-tasting with disgusting slimy structure. I seriously suspect that the Gohma would be like the ladybugs in that they taste terrible. Then again, humans eat

It is pretty likely that the Gohma are both poisonous AND venomous, but I suspect, that removing venom glands would only remove the actual venom, which would only be effective in blood system anyways, thus not helping at all to eat the insect.

Apani: I would probably use scorpions as a sort of reference. With the most massive scorpions, Pandinus Imperator-species, being able to break human skin with their pincers and definitely pierce it with their stinger while only 30 grams in weight it would seem pretty plausible for me that even the smaller Gohma, when exoskeleton is adequately hardened between moults, would be able to easily cause serious bruises, crush weaker bones quite easily and cause deep piercing wounds with the spikes in their claws. I however can not see them outright cutting through flesh and muscle, as that would need either extremely much power or a constant sharp edge, of which I believe in neither.

I have another example: The coconut crab. A very large terrestrial arthropod known for their powerful pincers used in a variety of methods. They can try to crush food or other things with their pincer strength or use it as a crude club to maul things.

I suggest you consider the Gohma as a hybrid of emperor scorpion and coconut crab in serious steroids. They are powerful but can not crush well made metal armor. They can however use concussive strikes by swinging their hard and heavy mandibles against enemies, which can be quite effective with larger Gohma. Think of a mantis shrimp, just scaled up and somewhat less powerful pound for pound. I hope these thoughts helped.
    Last edited by Teknokraatti; March 26, 2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Adding another response

Apani's Avatar Senator

What about the eggs?

I would imagine the eggs to be as deadly as the parasites emerging from them.

If not even more poisonous, as the egg cell does not have to be in direct contact to the embryo inside. However, Apani: how would you yourself imagine the effectivenes of theGohmas natural weapons. I fear I might have overappreciated them in my ideas on the previous post, after all difference in size seriously affects the muscle type invertebrates typically use. The Gohma surely are interesting for their capabilities and it would be interesting to see more thoughts of them.

Dark Mewtwo's Avatar Miles

I have a question, are the Sheikah mostly female? and if so why?
    Argos-Ikanian. Legato-Poe

Apani's Avatar Senator

The Sheikah captain who talks with Bongo in mission 10 has the same breast size as Bongo, but has a face resembling that of a man (just my impression, on first sight I took the captain as a Male). Perphaps many of them are just androgynes with prominent breasts.

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Piggybacking off of Sheik and Impa from canon Zelda games, the Sheikah were intended to look androgynous so you are never quite sure what gender they are.
    Last edited by UndyingNephalim; March 26, 2014 at 07:34 PM.

does the sheikah have a plan to take out hyrule if it ever came to that.
    Din25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
    tyranny of evil men. Blessed is she who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
    the maw of majora, for she is truly her sisters's keeper and the finder of lost kin. And I will strike
    down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my sisters. And you will know my name is DIN when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Seeing as Bongo had a bottle of genocide I think the sheikah have a plan to take out everyone... well maybe not the Gohma and Twil along with stalfos and Ikana plus the Gorons since I don't think they have anything the whole population could eat or drink for them to poison and also river zora because to poison them mean poisoning all the waterways in hyrule... Unless they turn into omnicidal maniacs

Ok they can probably kill anyone nation that they can poison on a large scale. Provided they aren't immune to it

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Zalanum View Post
    Seeing as Bongo had a bottle of genocide I think the sheikah have a plan to take out everyone... well maybe not the Gohma and Twil along with stalfos and Ikana plus the Gorons since I don't think they have anything the whole population could eat or drink for them to poison and also river zora because to poison them mean poisoning all the waterways in hyrule... Unless they turn into omnicidal maniacs

Uhhh... no, I don't think the Shiekah are interested in performing mass genocide on the world.
    https://www.battleforthenet.com/
    Go to this site and call your congressmen!
    Do not le the FCC destroy net neutrality in America!
    On Dec. 14 the FCC will vote on whether to destroy net neutrality or not! Congress can stop them beforehand, so tell congress and the FCC that you don't want them to ruin the internet!

Avatar of the Ice Wolf's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeford View Post
    Uhhh... no, I don't think the Shiekah are interested in performing mass genocide on the world.
    And yet, Bongo carried a bottle of genocide with her at all times.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria
    East: Nerise - Kiril

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of the Ice Wolf View Post
    And yet, Bongo carried a bottle of genocide with her at all times.
    First off, Bongo is a traitorous Shiekah, second off, Undyingnephalim said that the bottle was meant for the Moblins. Thirdly, that doesn't mean the Shiekah want to kill everybody. That would be like saying "because the USA has nukes, America wants to blow everyone up".
    https://www.battleforthenet.com/
    Go to this site and call your congressmen!
    Do not le the FCC destroy net neutrality in America!
    On Dec. 14 the FCC will vote on whether to destroy net neutrality or not! Congress can stop them beforehand, so tell congress and the FCC that you don't want them to ruin the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeford View Post
    First off, Bongo is a traitorous Shiekah, second off, Undyingnephalim said that the bottle was meant for the Moblins. Thirdly, that doesn't mean the Shiekah want to kill everybody. That would be like saying "because the USA has nukes, America wants to blow everyone up".
    Since do we not want to blow up everyone else and plant the glorious red white and blue banners around the world? (Insert Team America song here)

But on a more serious note I think the original question was whether or not the Sheikah can commit genocide on a nation if need be, not that they plan on doing that

Avatar of the Ice Wolf's Avatar Praeses

@Jakeford

That was meant to be taken as a joke... Note the wink.

If you want a serious answer, then I suppose that the largest network of spies and assassins in Hyrule has contingency plans to destabilize any of the major powers if things go south, including Hyrule.
    Last edited by Avatar of the Ice Wolf; March 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria
    East: Nerise - Kiril

I wonder how the other races view hyrule and the sheikah, I wonder if there's some distrust between them.
    Din25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
    tyranny of evil men. Blessed is she who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
    the maw of majora, for she is truly her sisters's keeper and the finder of lost kin. And I will strike
    down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my sisters. And you will know my name is DIN when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Most races dislike/distrust the Hylians it's under their strengths and weaknesses "- Universal Tyrants: Many races dislike Hylian mentality and zealotry. It is harder for the Kingdom of Hyrule to make alliances in the campaign because of this."
    Not sure about the Sheikah although they tend to be mistaken as any normal Hylian (except the red eyes), but i'm sure they aren't that well like by other being a cadre of assassins.