Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask questions on HTW's Lore

Apani's Avatar Senator

Default Ask questions on HTW's Lore

Since I'm modding the game to make it more immersive, I need to know some aspects of the lore, so I made this thread where people can ask such questions. I think that if Neph built his lore properly, he should have the answers. For now I only have one:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1. Gorons
      1. We know Gorons are litophags. Roughly, what percentage of mining incomes is eaten and what is worked? Is Death Mountains' soil capable of growing crops? Do / Would Gorons ever grow anything beside Bomb Flowers?
        1. I'm thinking about removing farms from Gorons (or leave just Bomb Flowers farms which can train Bomb Throwers) and have the Mines give mining AND farming incomes, I just don't know the ratios.

1. General
      1. What are the regions where farming is harder or impossible? What about the Misery Mire?

Last edited by Apani; February 09, 2014 at 03:57 PM.

Default Re: Ask questions on HTW's Lore

I think it's possible to give a capability to one faction only. So you can add farming to the mines for gorons.

Second thought is that it's not strictly gorons living off the farms. There are other local races and assimilated factions that require sustenance so farm removal wouldn't be necessary.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Yes, I already did it.

Probably Gorons could let the conquered owners of farms grow their crops, but I think it's unlikely they'd promote the expansion of those crops personally.

I see no reason why they wouldn't. I have a few theories on the gorons
    1) they are a:not aggressive
    2) they prefer living in mountainous regions
    3) breed slowly.

While they may be somewhat of a warrior culture(as seen by their monks, berserkers, and sumo fighters) they don't seem like a race that would come down hard on others and limit their capabilities. Like preventing agricultural growth. And it would make sense to allow others their native lands for living since they are more suited to mountains. Lastly they are rocks and I don't think they have very active libidos. Again all theories I've deduced in my head from details gathered from the game and lore.

Apani's Avatar Senator

The first theory is confirmed. They don't like invading, which may be explained by your second theory. Anyways, I said they can let people grow their crops, but not help to improve them (anyways, can Gorons even build those crops? They wouldn't have much experience). Why would they support the growth of other people in occupied settlements? Because they don't like their land you said, but we know that Gorons are able to mine in any kind of territory (Deep Mines are buildable anywhere), so why helping other people live there and risk they rebel later if they could avoid it?
    Last edited by Apani; February 09, 2014 at 02:13 PM.

No reason not to. It's in anyone's best interest to sustain settlements after they've been occupied. Especially one that isn't in danger of rebelling and that could be turned into an economic center. Same reason they would build other structures to increase the value and output of captured regions.

I had no idea that deep mines could be built anywhere. Still they probably aren't as useful as mountain mines.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Then perphaps I'll let Gorons and Subrosians build crops in occupied territories, but instead of farming they'll increase population growth and perphaps unrest. More people to tax, but not of your race.

Deep Mines can be built anywhere, but give no outcome without minerals.

This isn't really relevant to this thread, but while we're on the topic, I think there should be a Culture or Race bar like the current religion one, that would work in the same way as the culture bar in the Britannia expansion for M2TW, if anyone remembers that. Basically, you can't recruit some units unless your race/culture is over a certain percentage. As it currently is, the Zoras can invade the Death Mountain Crater (for example) and start producing Zora units there a couple of turns later, which doesn't make any sense because there isn't a population of Zoras there. The proportion of your race would increase naturally over time, and maybe some buildings would increase it faster.
    The current system is based on M2TW, where obviously everyone is human. Hyrule obviously has vastly different races.

what about recruiting people of conquer races or slaves.

I guess you could have some sort of local militia type unit, but it would mean having to put loads more units into the game.

Brihentin13's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by starwars90001 View Post
    what about recruiting people of conquer races or slaves.
    That could be solved like it was handled in EB through AOR recruitment. Let's say you were the Arverni and occupied a Roman settlement. You would then be able to build a "native recruitment" building in the occupied zone, allowing you acess to low tier Roman units(Hastati and the like). Say this were to occur in HTW. The Gorons take a Hylian town. The current recruitment system kind of implies that they murder every man, woman, and child that is Hylian, then somehow breed like rabbits and repopulate the town. Instead, the occupiers could keep people alive and levy a few low level Hylian units, like a Town Guard and maybe even Swordsman Recruits(depending on the "native recruitment" infrastucture that they build up). While a Goron king couldn't levy Ironclad Elites and other high-tier units from a subject race, it make sense to have some cheap locals available. The units would be identical to their Hylian counterparts, just with a different color scheme perhaps. Obviously, certain races might not be able to do this, like the Gohma, who just kind of kill everything and eat the corpses.

Free Kekistan

That's a good idea, but you might have to reduce their stats or something to reflect the fact that the faction that lost the settlement will be better at training their own cultural units. And so that you can't have a Goron army wiping out Hyrule when you're playing as the Zora.

Brihentin13's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by tf_ View Post
    That's a good idea, but you might have to reduce their stats or something to reflect the fact that the faction that lost the settlement will be better at training their own cultural units. And so that you can't have a Goron army wiping out Hyrule when you're playing as the Zora.
    Like I said, low tier only. You would only be able to recruit very basic units(like homeguards in conquered Labrynna, or Kokiri Minutemen). The idea is, you'll still want to build armies of your own factional units, with a few cheap levies to guard towns or function as auxilia.

Free Kekistan

The reason I mentioned it was because Goron Guardians are the most basic unit the Gorons can get, and are good enough to make up the majority of their armies. Zora Infantry aren't bad either.

I've thought of adding that for a while since it does slow down rapid expansion by limiting recruitment(damn gorons). And for the lore as well. It would just require adding a minimal limit of religion/culture to the edb.

Civis

I want to ask about the settlements names and origin, just for curiosity ¿Do the small settlements have made up names just to fill up the map or do they have their origin on any zelda game? I have not played all the games and maybe there are some names that were shown on an old zelda game. Just some settlements that have names that does´nt seems to be like cheap made up that i´m curious about their origin(or appearance in some zelda game):
    Ok_Ru, Airu, Ontheon, Nayrunis, Rutoval, Vigjaro, Nuun, Ayloch, Audorn, Zunayus, Fort_of_Wings, Greshou, Gor_Dalagra, Goobalwee, Seshei, Moruge, Parapa, Picorou_Ruins, Barals_Stand, Malcove,Midoro, or maybe other.

I understand that to make the game fun there has to be many settlements, but again some of these names does not seems to be made up lightly ( like naldoriko, sordariko, paladorf, etc) so, if it´s possible to ask ¿Where do they come from?

It's also important to remember that the Gorons breed slowly; so invasions don't make sense. When your race is few in number and grows slowly you don't need to expand as much to have more room and resources. It's also important to take into account that each Goron casualty hits them much harder because of their lower numbers. And let's not forget the already few in number Gorons needing to keep military forces in occupied territory to keep the populations in line so they can carry out their mining efforts. Moving military away puts these regions at risk of rebellion which in turn can cause more damage than the Gorons would gain from occupying territories. Their slow rate of breeding also means that they can't simply exterminate the local population and repopulate the area with Goron civilians too.

The Gorons warrior culture most likely stems from their history of violence with the Zora and other races that have threatened them throughout the years rather than conquest, thus I would imagine their military would be primarily defensive in nature.

We can also assume farms would be just mines that seek edible rocks and mines would be mines that seek valuable rocks likes ores and gems. I'd say give the mines a small farming boost and the farms a small mining boost rather than get rid of either since we can assume the farms would stumble across valuable rocks from time to time and vice versa.

Contrast that to the Gohma who need constant fresh resources and space to sustain their swiftly growing and numerous population. Casualties for them just means more food and space for everyone else, so not going to war is stupid and could even threaten their survival since overpopulation and over use of resources would become a serious issue. Their military would be primarily offensive in nature.

I understand that to make the game fun there has to be many settlements, but again some of these names does not seems to be made up lightly ( like naldoriko, sordariko, paladorf, etc) so, if it´s possible to ask ¿Where do they come from?
    Most of them are actual Zelda locations but seem to have been forgotten by the fans. Look up the villages in Zelda II and you'll see a lot of familiar names, for example.
    Last edited by Cameron Shutters; February 11, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Do you think I should represent their low numbers by giving them a slower replenishment rate than average, longer training time or both?

From Zelda Wiki:
    The Gorons also have their own mining complex, Dodongo's Cavern. Its entrance lays at the base of the mountain trail, and the Gorons mine there for the 'most nutritious and best tasting' rocks which they eat. One Goron mentions that the Gorons have became such gourmets that they refuse to eat ordinary rocks, and thus rely on the mines for their only source of food.
    "We are in danger of extinction! It's all because we can't enter our quarry, the Dodongo's Cavern."
    "We Gorons live on a diet of rocks... And the most delicious and nutritious rocks around are found in the Dodongo's Cavern!
    "
    "But that seems like ancient history now... We've become such gourmets that we can't stand to eat rocks from anywhere else!"
    So, they eat mainly valuable rocks. They can probably afford it with their low numbers. I guess I could give higher farming levels to regions with more valuable ores. Also, I found an interesting article which compares Gorons to Pandas: http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2010/02/...e-giant-panda/
    Last edited by Apani; February 11, 2014 at 04:39 AM.

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by fernavliz View Post
    I want to ask about the settlements names and origin, just for curiosity ¿Do the small settlements have made up names just to fill up the map or do they have their origin on any zelda game? I have not played all the games and maybe there are some names that were shown on an old zelda game. Just some settlements that have names that does´nt seems to be like cheap made up that i´m curious about their origin(or appearance in some zelda game):
    Ok_Ru, Airu, Ontheon, Nayrunis, Rutoval, Vigjaro, Nuun, Ayloch, Audorn, Zunayus, Fort_of_Wings, Greshou, Gor_Dalagra, Goobalwee, Seshei, Moruge, Parapa, Picorou_Ruins, Barals_Stand, Malcove,Midoro, or maybe other.

- The Fort of Wings is based on the second dungeon from Oracle of Ages.
    - Nuun is from Oracle of Ages
    - Midoro, Moruge, and Parapa are from Zelda II
    - Picorou Ruins are from Minish Cap.
    - Ok Ru is Moblin for "Return of Summer."
    - Airu was the first Zora in records that took a Hylian wife.
    - Ontheon is likely a simplification of the Cliff Lord words Onth Arkeon which means "House of Lords"
    - Nayrunis is High Zoran for Nayru's gaze or Nayru's watch.
    - Rutoval is derived from the High Zoran words Ruton (love) and Val (paradise, a really really nice place)
    - Vigjaro is derived from the Ancient Hylian Words Vigas (shaded, in the shadow of) and Jaro (pass, road, trail)
    - Zunayus is Zuna for House of Zuna
    - Gor is just a prefix Gorons like to put before things, it pretty much just means "Belonging to Gorons" or otherwise lets people know Gorons are involved. Dalagra was the last Goron King before they were enslaved by Volvagians.
    - Baral's Stand was the place where the last battle of a Darknut civil war took place before the Legion was formed. Baral alone supposedly held off an entire army and helped found the Legion. He's considered a Darknut god.
    - Greshou is High Zoran for Library, specifically a really big one.
    - Ayloch, Seshei, and Malcove don't really have any meanings, I forgot why I came up with them and I suppose the people of Hyrule did too.
    Last edited by UndyingNephalim; February 11, 2014 at 05:01 AM.

will you change victory conditions, with the gorons their only enemy is the zora and maybe hyrule so why have them take more land than what they need, also some factions in this game are suppose to be their complete ally like the kokiri and they sued never fight them, so it doesn't make sense when your taking hyrule the kokiri decide to fight you.

Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast