Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: General Discussion (Original Mod Thread)

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Default Re: General Discussion (Original Mod Thread)

Great. I'll sign you up, too.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Flavius Aetius's Avatar Civis

I haven't seen anyone proposing himself for French so that's why I'm making this suggestion:

I think Sidus Preclarum (he's a civitate) studied middle French so you should try to send him a pm to see if he is willing to help.

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

The best way to find people able to speak a language is going to the foreign languages forum in Thema Devia. Just tell me which languages you want and I'll go post an adverstiment in each of them

Excellent, thanks to both of you. I'll check it out.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

U.A.T's Avatar Tiro
    Algarve, um sitio onde voçes gostariam de tar!

*Yawn.*
    Can I get the equipment already, Beiss?
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

lol

Sure. But we still won't be able to record anything until after we're done with the master source documents.

I'll be getting the game in a week, that is, on Monday the 13th.

Sorry comrades , but not easy just take speech sounds from localization ? :hmmm: For exemple in Russia we have FULL (speech,text) localization , may be just wait unpack and send neded files for you ? Its mach easy and quikly( and batter quility sound) And comrades from other contres do this, you need only stick it together , and did same rare language like latin .
    Yes its modern language, but i (and many others) dont understand differents (for Foreign language) from modern and medieval languages. :hmmm: Medieval languages , you may did later

ps Please answer , its importent for me (i my self prepared did voice mod, but now i prepare help you )
    Last edited by NIKO_TWOW.RU; November 09, 2006 at 11:16 PM.

We've thought of that, Niko, but I think we'd have legal problems doing it. I don't think we are allowed to just copy files from the game and put them online for everyone to download, even though it would be very easy.

Also, you're right - most of us can't tell the difference between modern Hungarian and medieval Hungarian, for example - and the modern versions of the languages are our first priority. We will probably not be able to make medieval versions for most languages, but for those we can, we intend to - even though it will probably take a long time.

Maybe you would be interested in helping us with translating into Russian, though? We can always use more people...

to Beiss
    Hmm , i dont think what use same files its illigal :hmmm: , besades you will use M2TW engine its illigal too ? :hmmm: Mods with code and content CA is illigal ? I dont think so, with out GAME you dont play, and you dont do comersial on it ( CA have a biger sales becouse game have mods !). I think lokalization code(sound) in property CA(sega) too (like english version) I think you dont have a trable with it, but if you scare, i did this ( pm, torrent, many ways )
    So, im good coder, not sounder or modeller. I do not see sense to do work badly when it is already made well!

ps Sorry comrades
    Last edited by NIKO_TWOW.RU; November 10, 2006 at 09:37 AM.

Maybe you're right. If we can just copy the sounds from localizations of the game, I'm all for it. But the game hasn't been localized to all regions, as far as I know. Russian, French, German... what other languages has the game been localized to?

to Beiss

I am very glad that we have a consensus! Yes may be localization dont relize in every contry, what we have in game (like mongolz or aztecs ) I dont have info about every cantry where game lokalizated, but it easy known ! Just did topic and ask players ! I sure what we shall collect 80-90 % from all soundz ! If you agree with me I shall help all than I can !

ps As recommendations I can result only work for the Demo. (read post users )
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...&page=26&pp=20
    and early my manual for demo ( i dont did castom battle in RTW, and see code only in M2TW demo ) http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...20#post1278320
    My global mod HARDGAME for RTW(RTR 4.0-6.3) has been published only in Russian.
    Last edited by NIKO_TWOW.RU; November 10, 2006 at 01:30 PM.

Sanskrit_Bandit's Avatar Wielki Kniaź Wiślański

how will you guys tackle languages that might not have very good sources from the medieval times, like Polish for example.

Pyrgopolynices's Avatar Campidoctor

We've already talked about that. If not possible, the most probable way out will be to record in modern language. We see no other solution. And, believe me, polish is not the only case.

Hmmm... just wondering... what about a F.A.Q., Beiss?

I'll put an FAQ on the website. I just won't have time until in a few days. Meanwhile, why don't you suggest questions for the FAQ? I don't know exactly what to put on it... yet.

LOL, have you been in the M2TW general discussion forum lately? It's absolutely crowded with newbs who ask about... EVERYTHING. It's impossible to do something serious there now. There are like 40 threads created today alone... Glad this thing was given its own sub-forum before the **** hit the fan... haha
    Last edited by Beiss; November 11, 2006 at 09:57 AM.

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss
    LOL, have you been in the M2TW general discussion forum lately? It's absolutely crowded with newbs who ask about... EVERYTHING. It's impossible to do something serious there now. There are like 40 threads created today alone... Glad this thing was given its own sub-forum before the **** hit the fan... haha
    That mess is unbearable....

So I've got the game installed, and unpacked the game files. It seems a princess uses 160 samples, that is, 3 samples for each of the 50-something situations in which she says something. The scottish princesses sound dead sexy... haha

Anyway, I'm gonna play the game a bit before starting to do anything with this mod. So far, I know the game is released in Italian, Spanish, French, Russian and German, meaning we those languages are already done, in the modern version. We still want to make medieval versions of them, right? :-D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_tongue

good info on old "danish".

More info can be found by looking for dansk tunga or just danish tongue.

The Danes use the same voices as the Russians in the game Stupid...

Yeah I noticed the same and made a thread about it over at totalwar.com

Default Re: XENOPHONIA - the Native Speech mod project

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss View Post
    Speaking Latin is easy, but doing it right isn't. I think the way that most Americans pronounce it sounds rather hilarious, to be honest. For example, they would pronounce the word "forte" as "fort-ay" with an english "r". English is also a language in which many vowels are diminished. For example, many Americans cannot spell the words "then" and "than" - they pick one or don't know when to use which, because they're both pronounced pretty much the same way. An American can nearly always be identified regardless of what language he's speaking, because this tendency to diminish vowels is very deeply rooted, and it's very difficult to learn to diminish vowels. The same goes with Russians trying to learn not to differentiate between soft and hard vowels the way they do in Russian when speaking English, for example. A Frenchman has a funny way of stressing certain syllables, as do Swedes. The list is endless, and all the above would pronounce Latin their own way.

In Latin, I think all vowels were pronounced distinctively, with a few possible exceptions. I think a Spaniard or an Italian would do much better there. All people in the middle ages pronounced Latin differently, much like English today, but worse... As far as correct pronounciation of Latin goes, the English accent is pretty much as far as you can come from the truth, at least if you limit yourself to Europe.

I don't know where you're from, and I don't doubt your ability to translate things, but when it comes to pronounciation, I think it will be very obvious where people are from when they start speaking Latin. We'll need someone doing the Latin voices for the English, though.
    Hi i know i'm probably a little late in posting this but for Latin there are very specific pronunciation rules, most of which i don't even want to think about now cuz i have to do a latin translation for homework but lol yeah i'm a Latin II student in high school but you are pretty right for doing a Latin translation with Spaniards and Italians because the Romans and later the Ecclesial Italians would have a tendency to roll their Rs (but also Ecclesial Latin was not the formal Latin that most of us study in schools today, it was more so a medley of the priest who preached it and where they were, also you have to take into account how the Church shifted from Latin into the Vernacular languages in the 1500s) so it all plays into the background, but i'm not too bad a Latin speaker for an American lol, then again i'm pretty fluent in French and a little in Spanish so i can impersonate the different accents pretty well but if you have questions on Latin pronunciation please be free to ask me but Im not the best for more advanced Latin Vocabulary but if you show it to me i can probably tell you everything you need to know and depending on your ethnicity i could give you a viable pronunciation guide for it but if u but heres a few quick tips to Latin

1) Do a light roll of R's you don't need the heavy roll of like the spanish double r's but a light one for, example for an English speaker an phonetic spelling of Forte would be Fohrr-teh
    2) look up Latin words online because the macron can make the difference (macrons for those who don't know are the sort of accents that they put in modern texts to represent accents marks) like in Milite (because the last e has a macron usually, it would be said Milih-tay instead of Milih-teh )
    3) i dont know if this would help but in the High Latin of Ancient Rome the V's were said as a W sound but i think in Ecclesial Latin the V lost its W sound and became more of the V we know today but i think its safe to assume that the Italians kept the V as a W sound but i could be wrong! so like the Pax Vobiscum (peace be with you) it would be pronounced "Pahkss Woh-bis-cum"

So although Beiss' assumptions are pretty much correct sometimes the Americans are right with the -ay lol as much as I myself hate to admit it
    but definitely your best bet would be to have a person from each group to speak Latin, like Germans, poles, Russians etc because they would all add that flair of their native regions that would have been distinctive to the church at that time because no one spoke the Latin that we learned in schools since 21AD

Oh and are you going to do n e thing French because ive heard alot of buzz about the more slavic languages but not much for the Romance Languages

But if you ever need my help in n e thing Latin just send me a PM and ill be willing to help but due to school my responses may not be as speedy as you may need them but i will try my best to get everything translated for you as fast as possible if you ever need my help

(Oh! and while I remember what type of old french would you be using cuz as a Proud descendant Beligan from Wallonie hearing Walloon would just be totally awesome.)

(another addition for Pronounciation!!!! when i typed -eh i meant the -eh in like "heh" where its a low E not the high sounding E in the canadian "Eh?")
    Last edited by HellsIronChef; November 20, 2006 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Missing MORE important information
    The one and only HellzIronChef

Find me on RTW online and challenge me to a game
    ]HELL[HoA-C]Daimyo_Chef

You can Also find me occasionally on Medieval II Total War online as ]HELL[IronChef

Proud Member of the Hillsborough High School Latin Club

Proud Future member of the Education Community