Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion (Original Mod Thread)

Pyrgopolynices's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: XENOPHONIA - the Native Speech mod project

Yo, Corinthian!

edit:

Anyway, here's it:

I speak portuguese, I have a decent actor voice, my record equipment is good also, I served in the army ("Alferes" in Artillery Practical School at Vendas Novas); I can translate other speeches all right. I know Medieval Portuguese Language and History from my studies

About the sound files, I did extract it once in RTW, but I'm not sure I can do it in M2TW. :/
    Last edited by Pyrgopolynices; October 12, 2006 at 05:16 PM.

I will do the medieval German if you don't have someone doing it already

I think this speech mod is a very good idea.
    I may be able to help. I speak fluent Hungarian and I also know a lot about Hungarian history esspecialy the middle ages and prior to that.
    I have never done any sound recording and I don't intend to, I am 15 and don't have any equipment.
    Other than that I like total war games a lot, I have Rome Total War and the expansion, Barbarion Invasion.
    I would definetly help any way I can, translating or any info you need about Hungarian history or the language.
    Feel free to send me an e-mail at hun9104@hotmail.com
    Ki tud Magyarul? Remélem ezt elolvassák.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Quote Originally Posted by Hun Birodalom
    Ki tud Magyarul? Remélem ezt elolvassák.
    Yyeeeaah... If this was a M2TW quote, I could have told from the situation what it meant, but now, I can only guess... haha

Anyway, a Hungarian on the team = good. Maybe you could try to find someone else who might want to do the Hungarian voice for us? Hey, if someone has a dad who's interested, I'm all for it... hahah. I'm sure you can help out with the translation, research etc. as well, but try recruiting people who speak your language if you can't do it on your own - and this goes out to all of you.

Pyrgopolynices, Oswald - welcome onboard! Soon enough, we'll be able to start our own subforum so each language can be discussed more in detail. I'm looking forward to it
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Great.

Der_Zenturio's Avatar Civis

I can speak German, however i'm British and i'm living in Austria. (that's where i learned my German)
    So, I think you should definitely have a "proper" German doing the recordings, but any questions or translations needed, i'm happy to help. (But i think that German should be one of the languages where we have a deep seam of talent and experience to call upon. So, perhaps i can be a last resort)

Kto się czubi, ten się lubi

Yeah. I'm surprised there haven't been more Polish people here yet. They used to crowd the M2TW GenDisc forum not long ago, or so it seemed. Even stranger - we haven't heard from anyone who knows Middle English - I thought this place would be crawling with people like that. Haha Well - once M2TW is released and this project can become reality, and once we have enough people to make Archer think we're worthy of our own sub-forum, the right people will find us, I'm sure.

Either way, we'll need people for "quality assurance" for each language, and anyone who has sufficient knowledge of the languages here can probably help somehow - if nothing else, for making sure things are consistent, audio clean-up, making sure the accents of the modern languages are fairly neutral etc.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Unfortunatly I don't know anybody who could do the Hungarian voice, but I'll keep trying. I was wondering if the subtitles will be translated, because I would definetly be your man to translate it to Hunagrian.

A kis pösze pocok ide púzott.
    Last edited by Hun Birodalom; October 14, 2006 at 06:42 PM.

Um. No, the idea was to keep the subtitles so you can understand what the speech is all about. We want to change the speech, but in order to do that, we need people who can translate / replace the English commands and speeches into / with commands and speeches in the other language.

I'm definetly interested in helping with the Polish part, however, let me make a few things clear :

Polish medieval language is practically unnkown. In medieval times one could go around Poland without uttering a single Polish word, Latin was the main language in Poland. Not until 1500 was the Polish language written down and most of what was written down in that era was in Latin text, so the distinct pronounciations are not quite known. I do however have a book that contains many many Polish texts from around 1600 and a few pre-1600 (but most of those are Latin, and those that we have are mostly short diary-like scentances (Gorze się nam stało! (Misfortune befell us) (source:http://www.poland.gov.pl/The,Polish,Language,317.html)) ). If it might prove to be impossible to form a decent MIITW vocabulary for typically medieval Polish, you might want to try the 1600-Polish. I'm willing the help either way.
    I do not know whether or not I can fully assist in the way you would like me to assist. Since I have a Polish mother, I can get a bit around with Polish, though my pronounciation is not perfect, but I do KNOW the pronounciations . If and of you might want me to scan some of these texts from the book, I'll try to compile a pdf-file with all of them, plus some attempts at interpreting them in such a way that they are useful for this mod. I do not know whether any useful words for MIITW are preserved from 1500-1600 Polish texts, but, if one could find out how Polish was exactly pronounciated in that era (from an interpretation of the texts for example, but there are other sources) there is an option to pronounctiate modern Polish words in that way. (My guess is that Polish was still very Latinized at that time, although I can't say that with 100% accuracy, my only source is that book and so far I have found nothing about pronounciation). Polish also differed very much from other Slavic languages, in its own way. Russian and Bulgarian (was it Bulgarian already or still Church-Slavonic?) was written in Cyrillic and had gone through a slightly different development than Polish so it would be difficult to try and accomplish something through those languages. There is however one language that could be used, Polabian. It is a language that was last spoken in the 18th century and it is considered a Polish dialect. It derived it's name from the name of its region, that was named after their name for the Elbe-River : Pola. There are some more sources (I don't have anything conrete on it however but have found out a lot about it here and there) on this "language" but I do not know whether this is acceptable for you. I do I hope I can be of as much help as possible
    Last edited by WILHELM_II; October 14, 2006 at 03:55 PM.
    Der Kaiser
    ΑΩ

Silly me!
    Ok, well anything you need about Hungary or Hungarian language, I'm here to help.
    I'm hoping Medival II Total War will be as historicaly accurate as possible. By that I mean the accurate units, names, events, settlements and such.
    :hmmm:

The only thing this mod project will change is the speech, though I too want M2TW to be historically accurate to a reasonable extent (such as not including Stockholm on the campaign map.... ).

Wilhelm_II - that was a very informative post. Unless someone has a better idea, I guess we'll have to settle for 17th century Polish as you suggested... I'll sign you up either way.

I have sent 3 samples of pre-battle speeches. I'd make it public, but traffic could be a problem. Any good free site to put audio files without much trouble?

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrgopolynices
    I have sent 3 samples of pre-battle speeches. I'd make it public, but traffic could be a problem. Any good free site to put audio files without much trouble?
    I think you're supposed to listen to the speeches in the game and only then translate them, am I correct? :hmmm:

They're just samples

I think putting them on the first page as a sample of what is to come is a good idea. I can host them.

OK, here they are:

Portuguese General 1: "What we do today, we do as men. If you have Gods, then ask them for help, but do not rely on them. Instead, put your faith in a good strong sword, a good shield, and your comrades. Now, to battle!"

Portuguese General 2: "I want to see blood! I want to bathe in their blood! I want to bathe in their blood for a week! Now - kill them all!!"

Portuguese General 3: "I carry on my body many great scars, honourably earned in battle! I have fought many a foe in open combat! I come to fight today! Who stands with me?"

OK, here they are:

Portuguese General 1: "What we do today, we do as men. If you have Gods, then ask them for help, but do not rely on them. Instead, put your faith in a good strong sword, a good shield, and your comrades. Now, to battle!"

Portuguese General 2: "I want to see blood! I want to bathe in their blood! I want to bathe in their blood for a week! Now - kill them all!!"

Portuguese General 3: "I carry on my body many great scars, honourably earned in battle! I have fought many a foe in open combat! I come to fight today! Who stands with me?"
    Excellent!!!!

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

OK, here they are:

Damn, those are really good.

I hope this gets done, good luck to all. Sadly, I only know English so I'll just be here for moral support.. heh

U.A.T's Avatar Tiro
    Algarve, um sitio onde voçes gostariam de tar!

Ai merda que até meu causa arrepios!

Brrr!
    Nifty voice, sounds like that dude guy that does those nifty hand movements when talking about historical facts. =/

I have a good shouting voice, somebody told me that when i got bersek in a school fight i sounded like a bear.
    :tooth: I know it's exagerated.

Though i can't really shout to my micro (The sound gets distorced when i speak too loud.) i'd reccomend shouting with lots of anger in that voice.
    Last edited by U.A.T; October 16, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!