Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: General Discussion (Original Mod Thread)

Default Re: General Discussion (Original Mod Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss View Post
    Not modern Greek though. Although I don't know how much difference there is between modern Greek and medieval Greek. But the Byzantines definitely spoke some kind of Greek. They actually spoke Greek in MTW...
    Actually, in MTW, they spoke Russian of all things. No idea why.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Er... really? That passed me unnoticed. I was pretty sure they spoke Greek. Spooky.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Sorry, this has probably been posted before (but I don't know what keywords to use searching for it), but have you considered the TREMENDOUS difference between the languages of back then and now? If you're going for historical authenticity, it would just be totally impossible.

Not only due to the difference, but many languages (esp. English) evolved significantly throughout the period.

This is an example of English from circa 1000 (it's Luke 8.1–3):

Syððan wæs geworden þæt he ferde þurh þa ceastre and þæt castel: godes rice prediciende and bodiende. and hi twelfe mid. And sume wif þe wæron gehælede of awyrgdum gastum: and untrumnessum: seo magdalenisce maria ofþære seofan deoflu uteodon: and iohanna chuzan wif herodes gerefan: and susanna and manega oðre þe him of hyra spedum þenedon;
    and this is the same passage written in English from circa 1400:

And it is don, aftirward Jesus made iourne bi cites & castelis prechende & euangelisende þe rewme of god, & twelue wiþ hym & summe wymmen þat weren helid of wicke spiritis & sicnesses, marie þat is clepid maudeleyn, of whom seuene deuelis wenten out & Jone þe wif off chusi procuratour of eroude, & susanne & manye oþere þat mynystreden to hym of her facultes
    If that alone doesn't mortify you, the pronounciation should. You see, this was before the Great Wovel Shift of 1500's. So "knight" was pronounced with an audible k and a "ch" sound as in german ([knɪçt] as opposed to [naɪt] in the IPA).

You'd face similar challenges all accross, and in some cases, gaping holes in our knowledge of the speech of the period.

Unfortunately, I don't think this mod would add realism and immersion, it would just turn into another mod that is totally inconsistent with the target time-period.
    Last edited by hex1; January 11, 2007 at 01:58 AM. Reason: fx

1. Initially, I wanted to make voice packs that were some kind of average for the time period. Now we've decided to try to stick to what the languages should have been like at around 1100AD. You start out with a people and then you try to conquer the world. No matter how to expand your empire, the lingual development wouldn't have been the same as what actually happened.

2. Most people have no clue which is 11th century English and which is 14th century English. Seriously, people won't be able to tell if we screwed up on some words here and there. As for the holes of knowledge, we'll have to make something up to fill them out. Realism will have to be sacrificed for immersion to an extent.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

It will be difficult voicing it, you'd need to get someone who knows enough of the period's languages to make your text, then teach the pronounciation to the voice actors, and then you have to hope they can pronounce all the sounds properly, without inserting any additional wovels and such.

But, good luck, if you do this right (or make it appear you've done it right ) it will be a great addition to the game.

I know, pulling this off is going to be really difficult. We might not actually get anything done at all, but I'll try to keep the steam up

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Ok, so where to put them? When the mod is finished, the Hungarians will speak medieval Hungarian, and will have their own soundset. But until then, would it be better to put them in the Hollywood Russian English group, the Hollywood Spanish/Italian/Greek group, or the Hollywood Mongol group? Take your pick...
    Put Hungary to the English group. It is a neutral solution.
    It would be interesting to create an old-sounding Hungarian patch and I hope you will find someone who will be interested to create it.

Good point, but don't you think they have French captains?
    Yes maybe. but they battlecry for french too )) think about ))

And Beiss have you plan include more localizations in mod ??? Or you make it self later ?
    Last edited by NIKO_TWOW.RU; January 13, 2007 at 04:35 AM.

There aren't any more localizations, I'm afraid. If there are, I'd be glad to include them!

There aren't any more localizations, I'm afraid. If there are, I'd be glad to include them!
    SO you dont sure? ))
    Maybe try open in M2TW treads (diff treads) topic with qustion in name "What voice localization is havent in world ? - For include in voice mod - Xenofonia"

I already have. I'm pretty sure there aren't any more versions. And if there were, those people would probably have found us already...

There's a Polish version, but it's only text. It makes no changes to sounds. It will be useful for translation, but not for the mod, not now.

So how about missing TExt in diplomats speechs ? You fix it ?

And national units/mercaneres voice in other nation army ? (write about befor)

I'm trying to fix it, but it doesn't work... yet.

only strong drink can possbily explain why those piss-stained peasants think they are an army! well, stand to!

the full extent of a prebattle speech for poland

The biggest problem with the pre-battle speeches is that they're made before you start placing your units out. I'd want the speech right before the actual battle, because placing your units out kinda ruins it... Makes you lose the whole atmosphere.

Hi Guys!

Tomorrow I'll do a full immersion in studies and I'll come back home in Easter!

See you soon!
    Tira 'cchjiù nu pilu é cunnu ara 'nchjìanata 'ca 'na parigghjia e voi ara scinduta!!!

also the nothingess during the spinny camera is kinda useless...if they could be doing their speeches during that except im pretty sure the one i posted would have been done before it was zoomed in

True. I also find the zoom-ins on the units as they taunt the enemy to be rather dull and uninspiring. I wish they'd do it during the battle instead, when the enemy charged or something. I'd like the sight of soldier standing on the walls going "na-na-na-na-naa-na!" at the guys with the battering ram. Haha

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

Haven't forgotten about this, no reply from Aberdeen so may seek help from elsewhere.

Ok. So far, we only have one document successfully translated - Arabic battle events. I need to start looking for more translators.