Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: True Detective.

Comes Limitis

Default Re: True Detective.

Quote Originally Posted by A Man View Post
    This season is ing brilliant, and these last two episodes just convinced me even more! Even above season 1 imo, completely enjoying it, all 4 main actors completely nailed it with their performances, Vince Vaughn and Collin Farrel especially! And we are not even done yet, there is still a 90 minute finale, wohooo !
    I completely agree. I always found Farrel kinda iffy, but came to like him for the In Bruges film. He pulled of that tough role very well. Vince Vaughn's career was dead, last known for being a bit overweight in failed rom-coms. Boy, what he did was intense. Great acting by these two.

I found this analysis very good:

I think many people dont like it because ist to ambitious in what it and how it is trying to tell the story. Contrary to ist essense many scenes come across tacky if you dont get what these layers are. I think if people try to watch 2-3 times they would at least immensly respect the many deep layers going all over the place. I can understand people not liking it, expecting the usual thing on TV and not delving in to it, but I for one love movies like this series over pretty any much genre. A quality series is always better at fleshing out a story compared to a 90 minutes movie.

Hats off for all involved. Hope the series gets the respect it deserves when ist on DVD and more people get it.

A Man's Avatar Senator

Just like I expected, beautiful finale! Was sad to see Ray and Frank go, but I expected Ray to go since that opening of season 3. Frank however, I did not see that coming up until he asked Bezzerides to find Jordan. I was very sad to see them go, a man does not invest himself into these things so easy, so hat down to Colin and Frank on their wonderful performances, and Nic for writing their characters so well! The plot was complicated to follow at times, but once you rewatch all 8 episodes as a whole, everything is loud and clear. This is my new favorite show, keeps getting better + still feels fresh and new after every season! Hoping that season 3 is confirmed soon!

Meh i dont hate this season or anything ( as manny aparently ), it just didnt do much for me overal speaking, so while i didnt dislike this season, i likewise didnt find it briliant or special. I think they realy tried to invest in character development, but in the end, regardless they failed to engage its characters towards the storytelling. That is why the audience doesnt become so attached to them.
    Season 1 did a lot more for me in this area, and others. I think Season one was by far better written, and constructed, or designed, from the begining to the end.

This second season while it had its story to tell, on paper seems to work very well, in practise, seems to lack or falling short imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn777 View Post
    I completely agree. I always found Farrel kinda iffy, but came to like him for the In Bruges film. He pulled of that tough role very well. Vince Vaughn's career was dead, last known for being a bit overweight in failed rom-coms. Boy, what he did was intense. Great acting by these two.

I found this analysis very good:

I think many people dont like it because ist to ambitious in what it and how it is trying to tell the story. Contrary to ist essense many scenes come across tacky if you dont get what these layers are. I think if people try to watch 2-3 times they would at least immensly respect the many deep layers going all over the place. I can understand people not liking it, expecting the usual thing on TV and not delving in to it, but I for one love movies like this series over pretty any much genre. A quality series is always better at fleshing out a story compared to a 90 minutes movie.

Hats off for all involved. Hope the series gets the respect it deserves when ist on DVD and more people get it.
    Oh man, is this guy really THAT lazy that he can't have the most basic pictures of the stuff he's talking about. I mean common mean do you want to have any audience or what?

Anyway can somebody tell me what Bezzerides's character arc was? I mean she overcomes that inner barriers, but how does that affect the story overall, what does it change or the foreshadowing Ray's future, how does that affect anything?

A Man's Avatar Senator

Training her whole life to avoid being outpowered by men who are stronger by nature, fighting and kicking out the demon (the guy who harassed her sexually) that haunted her since childhood, finding the missing girl in the process and helping her and her sister make through the world where women are considered sex objects and nothing more. Connection to Ray and his problems helped her do that over time, and in the end it was nice to see at least someone find some solace in life to come.

finding the missing girl in the process and helping her and her sister make through the world where women are considered sex objects and nothing more.
    The missing girl was very ungrateful and unhappy about that and she implied her sister's husband is a wifebeater or something, and the way it was done, all of those scenes could have been Velcoro or Woodrough and it wouldn't have made any difference to me. All of them could have taken a pill and have some old repressed memories come back to haunt them. Maybe it's just me but I don't see that much connection with child molesting/sexual harassment with high end prostitution.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Apparently it's going to be set up like an anthology. So each season will be it's own contained story with specific cast members and a solid conclusion by season's end. Then the next season will be all new cast, setting, story etc. I like that. Has a lot of potential. I loved the Wire so I hope that HBO can come through on this.
    It also has the great potential for lackluster seasons as much of the vibe may go lost on a new cast and a new setting.

Anyway I loved the first season so how does the second hold up to the Mcconaughey and Harrelson combo and their particular setting?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

It didn't have the feel of the first season, and the attempts to make some parallels/motifs were not that great (highway scenes, psychological issues, etc).

I still think that the whole of season 2 was more consistent than season 1, which mostly was 4+1 good eps and 4-1 bad eps. I also found Harrelson's character quite boring, despite i got to see the series out of the expectation to see Harrelson
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Holger Danske View Post
    It also has the great potential for lackluster seasons as much of the vibe may go lost on a new cast and a new setting.

Anyway I loved the first season so how does the second hold up to the Mcconaughey and Harrelson combo and their particular setting?
    I don't think it really compares well to the first season. It's good in it's own way, but it's a very busy plot with a lot of main characters and lots happening in the story compressed into a short period of time. It's good enough to watch and enjoy, but it doesn't draw you in like the first season. It doesn't have that same creepy vibe that the first season does that makes your skin crawl. And its character aren't as strong. But there are some good performances and it's entertaining.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

The huge problem with season 1 was that it was a deception and a ploy to have the king in yellow (based on five stories by an early 20th century writer) and the pastiche of 'time is a flat disc' plot/allusions in the first half, given it amounted literally to nothing in the full second half of that season, which leaves a bad taste..

Also, going by an interview of Pizolatto (spelling, etc), it seems highly likely that he never knew where to go with the plot of season1. He says stuff (when asked if he was copying current horror writer Ligotti) like "The season is about nihilism too, and i mean what is more nihilistic than Ligotti"? Ligotti is at best a second-rate writer, and he is not a genius by any stretch of the imagination. It is not like he is something notable, or comparable to significant US horror writers such as Poe and Lovecraft. He is not a paradigm of nihilism either (let alone that not being much of a distinction).
    Last edited by Kyriakos; August 22, 2015 at 08:36 AM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Any one missing a fix of slightly off centre drama could do worse than give 'Hand of God' a look. I'm three episodes in and it's pretty good, very much in the same style of TD.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

True Detective season 3.

Episode 1.

The Great War and Modern Memory.

Maybe a return to the standards of season 1. A plot, a mystery, good chemistry between the two detectives, playing with memories. Got high hopes for this season..

let's just pretend season 2 didn't happen.

Definitely better than season 2. Great acting by M.Ali. Got me hooked.