Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: True Detective.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: True Detective.

I watched the whole season 1 in one day, damn good series even though I generally don't go into this weird stuff. Anyone knows if/when there will be a season 2? (yeah, I'm the newb coming to ask the obvious question, deal with it )
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I've heard they pledged there would not be continuations. (Another positive point for the show).

Season 2 is premiering on June 21st. They've so far released two short teasers (probably episodes' previews) and one trailer:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Really looking forward to this .

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Enjoyable opening episode, we didn't really get a grip of 'the case' but there was lots of character development. Ray Velcoro (Farrell) is no Rust Chole and the rest of the cast (Rachel McAdams - Ani Bezzerides, Taylor Kitsch - Paul Woodrugh) don't look like matching Harrelson from season 1. However the underling sense of foreboding started to surface as the episode came to a close and the three main cast members converged on the body of a missing person found sitting with his eyes gouged out. Bare in mind season 2 of 'The Wire' was my least favourite but was still excellent.

I think it's going to be pretty solid. I like Kitsch and Farrel's character is a wild man, for sure. Of course following up Rust Cohle would be very hard, if not impossible. So we'll see how it goes. But I'll be watching. It's a good start so far.

I liked it, even though sometimes the mood seemed to be imposed onto the viewer instead of guiding us (especially Collin Ferrell).

This will be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Enjoyable opening episode, we didn't really get a grip of 'the case' but there was lots of character development. Ray Velcoro (Farrell) is no Rust Chole and the rest of the cast (Rachel McAdams - Ani Bezzerides, Taylor Kitsch - Paul Woodrugh) don't look like matching Harrelson from season 1. However the underling sense of foreboding started to surface as the episode came to a close and the three main cast members converged on the body of a missing person found sitting with his eyes gouged out.
    I agree. I'm glad Velcoro is not a Cohle look-a-like, and how different is the setup. I want to see a new season with new characters, not a rehash of the (amazing) 1st season with different names.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "I'll come back here and butt your father with your mother's headless corpse on this goddamn lawn."

Dude, that line by Colin Farrell to that 12-year-old kid...that was the most hardcore thing I've ever heard anyone say to a kid in my entire life.

I'm not digging the opening song as much as I did the one for season 1, but overall I thought the episode was a good intro to the characters. However, I was a bit confused at first since things happened so fast at first. I definitely had to watch a few scenes over again. By the end of the episode you have a pretty good grasp of the personalities, backgrounds, and outlooks of each of the main characters. That's pretty impressive considering how haphazard the first half of the episode was in terms of exposition.

I thought the performance by Colin Farrell was fantastic. Vince Vaughn I'm not so sure about; I'll suspend judgment until I see more episodes and how he handles the character.

First episode was really just all over the place without really establishing much. Meh.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

The cast was nothing special in the first episode, to go down in quality so much between seasons is disappointing. I wasn't happy when the cast was first announced, but I really went into it wanting to like it. Rachel McAdams was hugely disappointing.

Colin Farrel and Vince Vaughn seemed like parodies of McConaughey/Harrelson's performances, it felt like Saturday Night Live at times. Hopefully it departs further from the style of season 1 so at least I can judge it on its own (and hopefully not as harshly). Not a fan so far.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roma
    Vince Vaughn I'm not so sure about; I'll suspend judgment until I see more episodes and how he handles the character.
    The character is such a cliché, crime boss who's involved in a land deal and probably in over his head with politicians. He's a decent enough actor, though he's coming in on the heels of Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin in Daredevil, a tough act to follow.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

The character is such a cliché, crime boss who's involved in a land deal and probably in over his head with politicians. He's a decent enough actor, though he's coming in on the heels of Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin in Daredevil, a tough act to follow.
    Yeah, the way Vaughn handled his most intense scene so far, him throwing and shattering a glass in anger over the city manager Ben Caspere, wasn't exactly Vincent D'Onofrio pulling a Russian guy out of a car and beating his head into gory, soupy jello with the car door, all the while screaming "YOU EMBARRASSED ME IN FRONT OF HER!" Like I said, I'm willing to give Vaughn the benefit of the doubt and see where he goes with the character, and how he handles emotional scenes and rage. As of now, I can't shake the image of the Vince Vaughn from the Ben Stiller comedy Dodgeball out of my head (or something like Wedding Crashers or Anchorman for that matter), so I'm already a little biased against him as an actor in a serious role like this. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they made a poor decision casting him in this role, but I could be proven wrong. I'm at least happy with Colin Farrell's performance. He seemed utterly believable as a divorced raging drunk who destroys any motherer in his warpath.

Oh yeah, overall this episode was really good. Definitely not like the first season, but still solid. I do think the weakest part of the episode were the scenes with Vince Vaughn (or the ones with Rachel McAdams to be honest). I have nothing against him, but like someone else said, I can't get his comedy roles out of my head, so I also have a bias against him. Maybe he will prove us wrong. The episode was pretty overwhelming, so many characters and each of their storylines, it was very hard to follow for the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    I have nothing against him, but like someone else said, I can't get his comedy roles out of my head
    That was my sentiment towards McConaughey when I first started to watch True Detective's first season. Granted, he might have had a more "serious" career than Vince Vaughn (hell, he had just won an Oscar), but the films that stood out in my memory were those romantic comedies and that "Surfer, Dude" abomination (also starring Harrelson). Of course, I was blown away by his performance.

Well he's based on real people. Or at least a mixture of real people. The city of Vinci isn't a real place, but is based on Vernon. So a lot of the story stuff that revolve around the 'city' and the corruption of the city council and all of that is taken from Vernon's history.

trance's Avatar Vicarius

I'd like to remind everyone here that season 1 had a slow start as well. While we don't have Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelsons excellent chemistry, nor the haunting scenery of Louisiana, I'm still led to believe that there's some serious potential in season 2. One should try to not compare season 2 with season 1 though, or you'll just get disappointed.

Sure, I would have loved to see some other scenery than California (or New York) but whatever, so far they're doing okay.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I'd like to remind everyone here that season 1 had a slow start as well. While we don't have Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelsons excellent chemistry, nor the haunting scenery of Louisiana, I'm still led to believe that there's some serious potential in season 2. One should try to not compare season 2 with season 1 though, or you'll just get disappointed.

Sure, I would have loved to see some other scenery than California (or New York) but whatever, so far they're doing okay.
    A'yup, McConaughey pretty much blew everyone away with those drawling monologues during the interviews with the two FBI investigators and California doesn't immediately conjure up the same eerie atmosphere as the Louisiana swamplands, but California is the home of the Manson Family and a mix of wealthy movie industry types and vulnerable wannabes... Chuck in some occult doings and mood music to tie things together and we're all good..

I doubt this is going in the direction of occult.

When asked if this new season was still about the occult history of the US transportation system, Nic Pizzolatto answered:
    It’s not, I’m afraid. There’s definitely bad men and hard women, but no secret occult history of the U.S. transportation system. That was a comment from very early in the process, and something I ended up discarding in favor of closer character work and a more grounded crime story. The complexity of the historical conspiracy first conceived detracted from the characters and their reality, I felt, and those characters are ultimately what have to shape the world and story. So I moved away from that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    I doubt this is going in the direction of occult.
    Pizzolatto said it would be about the occult history of the 'American transportation system.' Though I just read reports that changed. Maybe it's a double bluff...