Thread: An Ancient Era mod, (Egypt, Babylon, Assiria)

Default An Ancient Era mod, (Egypt, Babylon, Assiria)

Hi, I am thinking about doing a Ancient era mod covering the Middle east with like only five factions but lotsa rebels, any ideas please share~

Hermod's Avatar Miles

Default Re: An Ancient Era mod, (Egypt, Babylon, Assiria)

Im pretty sure there is (was) a mod in development about a similar time frame and area, cant remember the name though. If you look around a little on the TWC you could probably find it and ask the creators for help or their old files if it is dead. Additionally it would be a good place to find ideas from people who had studied that time frame.

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Druvatar De Bodemloze View Post
    Hi, I am thinking about doing a Ancient era mod covering the Middle east with like only five factions but lotsa rebels, any ideas please share~
    Depends on what you mean by "Ancient Era" Since the empires listed existed in some form for quite a while.

Bronze Age? (1500-1000's B.C.)
    Rise and/or Fall of Assyria and Rise of Medes? (900's-600 B.C.)

Five factions would be a nice start and goal for a first release but eventually you're going to have to put more factions in as games would end quick with only five factions. Greek Islands to the middle of Persia would probably be a good map.

As the above poster mentioned, Assyria: TW, Near East: TW, (both are RTW) Shadow of Ishtar (M2TW: Kingdoms) are all nice and dead mods taking place around 900-600 B.C. that might have resources to help you start out. Good luck! Also be sure you can finish what you started and that you don't get too ambitious on the first few releases, that's what kills mods these days.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Good mod idea! If you want some suggestions, here is mine:
    starting date -1500BC
    factions - Egypt, the Mittani, the Hittites, Babylonia, Elam

That's great, but I've seen few such mods in development and they died quite early (with Ancient World Total War being the last to die ) so forgive me that I'm not excited Too bad since for me it's one of the most interesting periods in history.
    Last edited by Aquila SPQR; February 14, 2014 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquila SPQR View Post
    That's great, but I've seen few such mods in development and they died quite early (with Ancient World Total War being the last to die ) so forgive me that I'm not excited Too bad since for me it's one of the most interesting periods in history.
    You're not excited but I bet you'd like to play a mod like this.
    So maybe those other mods died, so what. This is a new thing and the initial idea of about 5 factions makes it rather easy to complete - considering Druvatar's earlier accomplishments. So now its probably a matter of helping him to decide if its worthy his time, which I believe it is, then I guess its better not to discourage.

Druvatar, I hope you will decide to make this mod. If you do, I would like to help with something as I've been already researching egyptian and babylonian related topics for my own mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    So maybe those other mods died, so what. This is a new thing and the initial idea of about 5 factions makes it rather easy to complete - considering Druvatar's earlier accomplishments. So now its probably a matter of helping him to decide if its worthy his time, which I believe it is, then I guess its better not to discourage.

Druvatar, I hope you will decide to make this mod. If you do, I would like to help with something as I've been already researching egyptian and babylonian related topics for my own mod.
    thank you for your confidence in me ! and your right the the reason I want to do five factions is because I want to "tackle" a mod I know will not die! my time frame goal is basically during the reign of Ramses the II and his war against the
    Hittites if I concentrate only on a small number of factions I'll have the flexibility to really put effort into making and crafting a unique Ancient" environment, I can do this now the thing is only five factions with a quality gaming scenario or a mediocre mod with many factions, thank you!

I like the five factions idea, allows loads of details for those factions. Would you aim for a 199 region map?

Oh, I'd love to play it. Even more than mods set during Rome's rise to power era (there's Rome Total War and Europa Babrbarorum or De Bello Mundi) because it's one of the most fascinating periods for me and there's no such mod created so far.

I like the five factions idea, allows loads of details for those factions. Would you aim for a 199 region map?
    YES! (OR CLOSE TO IT)
    [QUOTE
    Oh, I'd love to play it. Even more than mods set during Rome's rise to power era (there's Rome Total War and Europa Babrbarorum or De Bello Mundi) because it's one of the most fascinating periods for me and there's no such mod created so far. ][/QUOTE]
    mine too~ it will definitely be different!
    ok I am thinking factions:
    Egyptian Dynasty
    Kingdom of Elam
    BaBylon
    Hittites
    (and I have too research who controlled turkey at the time!
    and just for fun Add two greek island factions to make the total 7 instead of five

ok I am thinking factions:
    Egyptian Dynasty
    Kingdom of Elam
    BaBylon
    Hittites
    (and I have too research who controlled turkey at the time!
    and just for fun Add two greek island factions to make the total 7 instead of five
    Obviously factions depend on the starting date/period, but if you want to start during the reign of Ramesses II (lived 1303BC - 1213BC) it will be easy to identify possible factions. This period in egyptian history is called the New Kingdom, and the reign of Ramesses II is well documented. Egypt reached the highest point of its importance with the largest territory etc. etc. This map can be of some use:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As for the area of today's Turkey, most of it was ruled by the Hittites, with the east under the Assyrian Empire (Middle Assyrian Empire as its called in that period).

So, for the times of Ramesses II, I suppose the Assyrians, Hittites, Babylonians and Elamites would be the most powerful factions to make total 5 with Egypt. 4 of them were in fact major empires, and the fifth - Elam was weaker. Any greek factions would be insignificant compared to the might of Hittites, Egyptians, Assyrians or Babylonians, and would stand no chance against them. Therefore I think any such greek faction would be rather boring to play, with only rebels to fight and on the outskirts of where the real fun is (middle east). If it was up to me, Id just cut off the western part of map right after the turkish coast.