Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] House Cup

Default Re: [Discussion] House Cup

Im so down for this

Okay, well several hurdles have waylaid my focus on this project, for which I apologize. Currently, all that remains is for us to decide on what the reward will be for the victorious House, held by it/it's members until it is dethroned.

An idea I have considered: Usergroups are created for each House. In the first couple weeks these are open to all citizens so that people can join the ones they belong to. Following this people can apply for them alongside applying to be part of the citizen/civitate/artifex usergroup when they become citizens, yet the Curator will ratify their promotion just the same. In this way, Houses will be distinct groups that can be rewarded collectively and yet people will still have the option of not displaying their bling if they don't feel like it. This could be:

- A medal
    - A modified citizen badge
    - A change in name colour
    - More space in Custom User Title, if possible.

What do we think? Any other ideas on the temporary reward for winning the cup?

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Inkie Pie View Post
    - A medal
    - A modified citizen badge
    - A change in name colour
    - More space in Custom User Title, if possible.
    Inkie, all the above require site resources, have you checked back with the Chief Technician whether he would be willing to grant those resources before we're start thinking of them?

I suggest to use +rep, a special graphical bar for the Signature and the right to use some sort of title as rewards.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

I was told we should come up with something before we put it to Hex. Once we know what we want, they decide how/if it gets implemented

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Yeah, Inkie and I went over this. Right now, we should assume that those site resources will be available to us, and once it gets to Hex, if the idea is rejected then we can try another idea. I think in this discussion, we need to focus on what the citizens ideally want in this House Cup system. Technical, Content and other concerns will come into play when Hex reviews the proposal.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Okay, then that's cool with me and I like all of it

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

I see some good ideas here, but i do wonder what houses actually have curia active members currently, as for example house of siblez have like maximum 5 people who post regularly in the curia. I would say it is the same with some other houses around, especially the old mini houses. Regardless of their activity since 2012.

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    I see some good ideas here, but i do wonder what houses actually have curia active members currently, as for example house of siblez have like maximum 5 people who post regularly in the curia. I would say it is the same with some other houses around, especially the old mini houses. Regardless of their activity since 2012.

Sorry if this has been brought up before.
    Well it doesn't matter if they are active in the CVRIA. My focus was active citizens in general. The point of the House Cup is to stimulate community citizen activity.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Quote Originally Posted by ☩Lord Inquisitor Derpy Hooves☩ View Post
    Well it doesn't matter if they are active in the CVRIA. My focus was active citizens in general. The point of the House Cup is to stimulate community citizen activity.
    but it would still require some sort of curia active stuff, i see that you wish to increase activity and bring back some forum regulars who doesnt use the curia, but i dont know how we would do that. I know few in my house and cant suddenly start mass pming all of them, it would create more frustration than joy i think.

Maybe the very first thing that could be done was open up a thread with poll, where the choices would be
    Q: Do you wish to partake in a house cup and if so, which house do you belong to?
    1. Yes, house of wilpuri
    2. Yes, House of Siblesz
    3. Yes, House of rubulba
    4. Yes, House of WBK
    X. No, i do not wish to partake in a house cup.

with all the different houses as possible answers. this would be just to check interest, and there could if possible be a site wide pm informing all citizens or something similar.

If you haven't done so, read the entirety of the thread and skip over Poach's posts and people who are replying to him. That makes up a significant portion of the thread, and must be ignored considering Poach and Co. were hijacking the thread to discuss a complete change in the whole CVRIA system, which was and is not the intent of the House Cup. I know you are trying to be helpful Makrell, and I (and likely Inkie) really appreciate it. It is interest that can make this whole thing a reality.

If this whole thing becomes a reality, you are free to PM everyone in your house. There are already pages in the TWC wiki that show who is part of which house. On the previous pages, we grouped the numerous houses into 8 groups. We did this to make the houses seem somewhat equal in number.

Whatever happen to this proposal?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

It died. There was a lot of organization needed and more discussion than action. Then Poach and Stealth both left Hex.

Not true, Poach hijacked the thread to talk about reforming the whole system. Inkie and I had put in a lot of work developing the idea and sorting out the houses, which took a lot of time. We stopped when it became evident that few were interested. Without interest we couldn't move on.

I don't think this is necessarily true. The House Cup received universal support while Poache's idea received critical and skeptical responses. Initially Poach expressed support,...
    All that said, I re-affirm my support to the House Cup with or without the above reforms, I just think if we're reviving the Houses we should use them to rejuvenate the whole Curia, because they're a perfect fit.
    Later he did state it would ultimately fail without his proposal, but this came when his idea met greater and greater skepticism.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Not true, Poach hijacked the thread to talk about reforming the whole system. Inkie and I had put in a lot of work developing the idea and sorting out the houses, which took a lot of time. We stopped when it became evident that few were interested. Without interest we couldn't move on.
    It died. There was a lot of organization needed and more discussion than action.

Does that sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pike
    The House Cup received universal support
    No it didn't.

Houses.

At best something to raise a giggle with inter house posturing. At worst used to bully members and manipulate curia votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    No it didn't. Houses..
    I read through the thread and I read a lot of support. It may seem like there wasn't a lot of support given the in-depth discussion about reforming the Curia, but there was interest. If you ignore the reform discussion, it becomes more obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    It died. There was a lot of organization needed and more discussion than action.
    Kind of agree, two volunteers working on one version of the idea while a Hex member is advocating a different, more controversial version of the idea in the thread made things difficult. I wanted to make it a CAT thing so that elected people with proper responsibilities could form an organized team with sole control over the direction of the project, but the CAT was on its way out and there was zero interest in continuing it. That being said, there was action being taken, in that we were checking hundreds of old threads and citizens' profiles and trying to compile updated lists of all the houses while planning the structure of the competitions. It was really tedious work which seemed increasingly pointless as the reality that there wasn't really much sincere enthusiasm within the Curia for such a feature steadily became more apparent. Even for my part I was getting tired of the place and realizing that I was spending far too much time here.

I read through the thread and I read a lot of support. It may seem like there wasn't a lot of support given the in-depth discussion about reforming the Curia, but there was interest. If you ignore the reform discussion, it becomes more obvious.
    In reality passing interest when someone presents an idea is very different to true enthusiasm when things properly get underway. Especially given that these competitions would have actually required effort. I think Poach was right about such a feature being very unlikely of taking off, though his version would have been rejected at proposal stages if it came to a vote, so neither were very galvanizing projects.
    Last edited by Inkie; November 18, 2015 at 02:20 AM.

Thanks for your candor!
    I think it was always going to be an uphill climb. The houses are old and outdated. They became more political than social in nature. This would had been a better idea 4 years before it's inception by you. Still, as you said, the "risk/ reward" seemed unlikely to be beneficial. It is ashamed that the experience has drained your enthusiasm.

Thanks, but inception? I didn't start jack, just one of the people who tried picking up the ball others sent rolling, then realized nobody really wanted to play and threw it down a drain.
    Last edited by Inkie; November 18, 2015 at 03:15 PM.

The idea originated many years ago during the beginning of CAT. IIRC, it was Darling and Shankbot who proposed it and had support from Poach. However they hit a roadblock when the Content Hex appeared and seemed unwilling to work with them. That stopped the movement for a year or two. I saw what they were doing and encouraged them and gave them ideas.
    Then Stealthfox reignites it and Inkie and I have our full support coming up with ideas of how to balance the Houses and how tournaments should be planned. We also fully researched the Houses coming up with lists of who belonged to which house. But because of little enthusiasm, we gave up. And a little while after that I stopped participating in the CVRIA

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast