Default Re: [Discussion] House Cup

Definitely, Ish!

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Hi there,

A couple of points:

• My loyalty to Father Dearest has remained solid since I was patronised. I would be deeply unhappy if I were not directly linked o Him in all matters.

• The Curia was, in all honesty, rendered obsolete when ON sold the site. In truth it was not this act per se but, rather, the fact that the site became too big so that sense of Curial community dispersed.

• A fully integrated House system might work but it would require people to wear a sigil.

Okay, but would you accept that the citizens in your line of Wilpuri compete in a separate team, just for the sake of the competition? Like, no actual rupture. Just playing the games in two teams.

As for sigils and other bling-related matters, only Hex can say.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Offer a well thought out proposal then who knows what will happen.
    As to the competition - what would the numbers be with a notional split?

We have already brought up the idea of modified or additional badges, but for now it's just a proposal, until Hex says that they're cool with it.

As for Wilpuri teams, just your descendants are 100-strong, leaving the rest of Wilpuri at 142. Still a bit imbalanced, but within a much fairer range than with both playing as one. Could be even better if another patron of 20 or so descendants left the larger Wilpuri team for the smaller, provided someone would be willing to do so to bring balance to the force.

Oh and also, I forgot to thank those of you who left some rep last page. Cheers, the feedback and support were appreciated
    Last edited by Inkie; March 08, 2014 at 07:25 PM.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Inkie Pie View Post
    We have already brought up the idea of modified or additional badges, but for now it's just a proposal, until Hex says that they're cool with it.

As for Wilpuri teams, just your descendants are 100-strong, leaving the rest of Wilpuri at 142. Still a bit imbalanced, but within a much fairer range than with both playing as one. Could be even better if another patron of 20 or so descendants left the larger Wilpuri team for the smaller, provided someone would be willing to do so to bring balance to the force.

Oh and also, I forgot to thank those of you who left some rep last page. Cheers, the feedback and support were appreciated
    I agree with Inkie on all points

Carry on developing the proposal. I think it has significant weaknesses, though, as it demands role play and not everyone will be into that and it is not a political element. Remember, in real life high ranking members would be able to give favours etc, this is not quite the case in this place and so places a hard limitation on the call for House or family loyalty.

I don't really see how it demands roleplay. If you ask me it's a competition that will also appeal to people who like that kind of role-play stuff too.

Also, Houses can decide what sets precedence among their members, if they so wish. For example, in my House the Caesars are members who are/have been Hex, while the Praefecti Praetorio are those who are/have been other staff, with the rest of the membership being the Praetorian Guard.
    Last edited by Inkie; March 09, 2014 at 10:39 AM.

Should i carry on to make the wilpuri graphical family tree? Or is the house being split or something?

No no the House will remain intact for all lineage purposes, it's just that the Wilpuris will compete as two teams

I think the House Cup is a great idea.

Does nobody else foresee that this "confederation" will die a swift death because, let's be honest, none of the branches remotely cares about any of the other branches? Or maybe that's the rebel faction

This is a great idea...on paper.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Yes it is a great idea on paper, which is why this thread is a discussion thread so that we can develop the idea even more . About the Confederation, while that would true now, if the House Cup turns out to be successful this year (or whichever year it is first held), then I believe over time that will go away. Otherwise, the Confederation team won't win a whole lot will they

I'm not sure folks in the "Confederation" gives two hoots about winning anything as an artificially assembled group really.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Well it was either that or have lots of very small teams (many of which are less than 20)

I dont my clan members and like me will be others to. Maybe there will be a clan meeting or something like that!This way it will created some bond between them.

That's the idea. For now, each House will have their own thread and social group

@Robin honestly I find the Confederation kinda cool, given how it seems the most feudal with each House being able to have its own flavour and distinction. But maybe that's just me

Okay, so here is an initial draft of the set-up:

Rules
    • Scoring: Results are posted quarterly and the highest-scoring House wins the cup, though each category is listed so that Houses' performance in different areas can be seen.

• CCT: Volunteers for the House Cup CCT team are appointed by the Curator. This is a team with Local Moderator rights in the SYMPOSIVM that permanently staffs the games, keeping data updated, counting points, serving as referees where necessary and organizing the Tourneys and Olympics. CCT members cannot compete for their Houses.

• Types of competition: These are the following:
      • Challenge: One House starts a thread which 'challenges' other Houses to take part in a competition of their choosing. Challenges only accepted by one House become Duels.
      • Duel: One House challenges a single other House to do a 1 on 1. 'Winner takes all' system for rewards, though two Houses can only go up against each other a maximum of three times per quarter.
      • Tourney: The same as a Challenge, but initiated by the CCT hosts.

• Representatives: Depending on the government of a House, founding members may be its automatic representatives and/or the sole representatives. A House might elect its rep(s) or use volunteers. The minimum duties of a rep are the maintenance of their House's wiki page as new citizens enter it, and putting their House forward for competitions if they feel they have the manpower to do so.

• Sign-ups: For each tournament or challenge, House representatives entering their House must post in the thread, listing those of their membership that will be participating.

• Governments: Houses can choose a 'political system'. This is mainly for RP, but it will tend to indicate their system for determining representatives, whether he/they will be elected, volunteers, or appointees by the House's founder(s).

Points & Awards
    • Prizes: Every team that wins a competition receives three rep points for each of its participants. Runner-up teams win 1 point for each of their members. Houses that win the Cup could receive a more blingy reward for the amount of time they possess the Cup, such as a (non permanent?) medal for each member, a change in name colour, or perhaps a modification to their citizen badges, but hopefully concrete rather than words-only.

• Passive points: These are for points gained outside of competitions, including most of those outlined in the OP of this thread. Only those ranks held at the time of scoring are counted.
      • Member is...
        Hexagon Council Administrator = + 10 points
        Tribune = + 7 points
        Moderation Mentor = + 5 points
        Moderator = + 3 points
        Content Director = + 5 points
        Content Staff = +3 points
        Gaming Staff/Clan Overseer = + 5 points
        Gaming Staff = +3 points
        Vault Staff= +3 points
        Technical Staff = +3 points
        Curator = + 3 points
        Magistrate = + 3 points

• A 'best citizen' nomination and vote each quarter: This designates whom people think has done the most for the CVRIA in the quarter. The organization would be exactly the same as for the Member Awards, with the winner gaining their House 20 points, the runner-up 10, and the third place 5. It would of course be up to citizens to be mature and not vote simply for members of their own House.
      • Another criteria would be for patronization, with each passed citizenship application granting the recruiting House 5 points.
      • Finally, Scriptorium Competition victories could grant each House 20 points.

• Active points: These would be for competitions.
      • Gaming competitions: A poll would need to be opened for all of the possible games competitions could be hosted in, including of course the TW series, to see how many people would be willing and able to play in each one, so that people can know which games to propose competitions in. Victory in Duel would award 30 points, in a Challenge or Tourney, 40. Screenshots of scores would be needed, hopefully with arbitration by CCT members or volunteers from Houses that aren't competing.

• TOTW/POTW/UESW: 10 points for victors. This is not a passive award, so in order to gain points Houses must be explicitly competing in a given competition.
      • MCWC/MAARC/VOTM: 20 points for victory in a Duel, 30 for victory in a Challenge or Tourney. Same as above.
      • Garb's Fight Club Debate: Only available in Duels, or in Challenges too if it's a 2v2. At the end of the Fight, a CCT member asks the commentary which side won, with the specification that members of competing Houses' votes don't count. 25 points for victory.
      • Hotseat Campaign: 30 points for victory in a Duel, 40 for victory in a Challenge.
      • Olympics: During whichever is the busiest month of the site, a rolling set of Olympics Tourneys would fill the SYMPOSIVM, with only those that attract more than 2 participant Houses being a part of the games. The House with the most total points in the end is the winner, though these points individually do not count, but are rounded up for the winners to the closest multiple of 50. This separates Olympics from regular series of competitions and makes winning as many as possible more rewarding. Participants for the winning House also receive an extra three rep each.

Organizing

Symposium stickied threads:

• Rules thread: Details how the Cup works.
    • Results thread: Here scores for each House are posted quarterly and the cup-winning House is listed. List of CCT members staffing the HC are also listed in the OP.
    • House list thread (already in place). Descriptions for Houses written by reps, posted along with heraldry, plus the names of current reps and list of Cups won. This also includes classification in terms of:
      • House type: Classic Dynasty (Founder is of the original generation of citizens), New Dynasty (Founder permanently broke off from an existing Classic Dynasty), Princely Line (Sub-House of one or several others).

Symposium regular threads:

• Thread for each House started by House reps, including a link to the House's social group.
    • Competition threads.

Pitching it here for feedback and suggestions from you guys

As you can see, the idea entails the CCT still existing, in a different form to that with which it failed in the past. Here is the thread in which I'm proposing such a reboot.
    Last edited by Inkie; March 15, 2014 at 02:50 PM.

First I'm going to address my issues with the points and awards. I've been silent on my opinion of the passive points that have been proposed by you and StealthFox (I forget who first proposed it); honestly I do not like the passive point system proposed. The system proposed could create a TWC version of the patronage system. Example: citizens vote on house lines and staff appointments might be made on house lines.
    The best citizen award is a good idea, but I think that the Curatorial Service Award should be changed to fit that, but I do not agree with awarding points for that.

The Olympics idea is something that I have become very enthusiastic about ever since the idea was suggested. The list of eight houses that you and I came up with a few weeks ago is perfect for that. Outside of the Olympics, houses that have been grouped or split should act like a normal house and should be able to partake in challenges, tourneys, duels etc. Example: House of Basileus challenges House of Marenostrum to a children's card game So, during the year, the numerous houses can accumulate points based on their own endeavors (so you might have House of Marenostrum having the most points by year's end). Which means that the House Cup should be an annual award thing. However, quarterly results still should be done. Perhaps, at the end of each quarter there should be a duel between the top two scorers. Winner gets the +30 duel points +10-20 extra for winning the quarterly duel.

The Olympics should be a series of tourneys like you said. Each tourney would have the eight teams, meaning that the games that would be played would have to be games that most participants would have access to. Like I have said, before the Olympics would begin, a thread would be set up where interested participants would post suggestions for multiplayer games they would want to compete in. Then after give or take a week, a poll thread would be opened up where citizens can vote for the games they have and would be interested in playing with other people. Obviously, the people voting would have to be able to vote for as many options as they want (they might have every game listed in the poll). It would be through that process that the committee for organizing the Olympics determines which games will have competitions. Some games that are F2P should probably have default tourneys (such as TF2).
    For the individual tourneys, houses should win some points towards the house cup, but the house that wins the most tourneys should be the overall winner of the Olympics. If there are two overall winners, then that should probably be resolved by a duel.

Also with the duels, I think duels should be two rounds with both teams choosing their preferred activity.

I think regarding citizen voting you're right, it would probably be wise to restrict passive points to staff positions. I myself trust fairly easily that staff wouldn't be making appointments along the lines of their citizen Houses. I think assuming that would be stroking the ego of this system a bit too much

The Curatorial Service Award is indeed similar. I admit, I had practically forgotten it existed. Given that, we either cut the 'Best Citizen' thing out completely, or keep it for the sake of the Cup, and also so that it might point us towards candidates for the C. Service Award.

For the 'composite' Houses (the ones including several), I think we could provide for a sense of distinction for each one without fragmenting them to the point that they can challenge and be challenged independently. To do this, when teams from composite Houses are drawn up, the name of their 'sub' Houses could be listed next to their names, so that they're sporting their own Houses' livery whilst competing under the mantra of their composite House.

I think an annual award is much too long. Perhaps quarterly awards is too frequent though, maybe one every four months would be better. Would you agree to that? A forum year is practically interminable.

I like your ideas for the Olympics, given that doing polls once a year to see what games the active citizenry is playing sounds about right.

As for duels, I'd rather keep it to one, though it would be perfectly fine for Houses to agree to do two duels in different fields. This would be to avoid draws.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast