Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strategy Guides

Default Re: Strategy Guides

Please rep this guy . he´s doing great work that will help all players of IB2 and spares the team a lot of work that can be used enhancing other things!

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

its excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    Thanks guys, that's very encouraging!

I've been playing with MS word and learned how to create flowcharts with pictures.

I'll make sure I understand each correctly, then produce both prose guides (like above) and flowcharts.
    Awesome!! Please see first post I updated it Theramines, lets update first post as needed
    Last edited by Riothamus; February 28, 2014 at 02:41 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Awesome!! Please see first post I updated it Theramines, lets update first post as needed
    Great, I'll get straight onto it!

saneel's Avatar Senator

I play as romans, but the franks are so strong, they attacked and are spawning just stack after stack. Their troops are good and very cheap -.-

Cool guide, Theramines...... and a fleur de lis for you efforts!
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

I play as romans, but the franks are so strong, they attacked and are spawning just stack after stack. Their troops are good and very cheap -.-
    If you're interested, I wrote a few (very, very long-winded! Sorry.) AARs about my H/H campaign as the Romans against them. They can be beaten, but it takes a lot, and I mean a lot, of fighting. See the Impressions from the Battlefield sticky.

I'd be very interested in your tactics and strategies, if you're interested in writing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by saneel View Post
    You have to fight alot in this mod - thats wanted. Also its meant to be challenging - maybe just lower difficulty a bit if you are struggling.

Also with every faction you need to be aware, that you cant just buy everything (buildings, troops) its not easy to build up an economy that works, It has to be considered whats needed now and what has to be spared for later. That´s why this work here is so important.

Generally bring your economy up - maybe on cost of population losses. If you loose a city dont 'freak out' - take it back when you are strong. But better be agressive from start - dont be afraid to pillage. Carefull with adoptions and general recruiting - they have high upkeep.

In this case as romans I´d suggest trying to keep good relations with franks - even at costs - a sowewhat historical approach.

Im going to add more to the strategy guide for Theramines tomorrow

Im going to add more to the strategy guide for Theramines tomorrow
    Excellent! I downloaded Gimp (2D art program) last night because I thought the MS flowcharts looked a bit corporate and immersion-breaking. Ugly, actually. This weekend I'll sticky the prose building guides within the strategy guides. When IBIII is released I'll use the building pics from that to make the 2D flowcharts. By then, assuming I've learned how to use Gimp reasonably well, I should be able to produce something more appropriate.

Excellent! I downloaded Gimp (2D art program) last night because I thought the MS flowcharts looked a bit corporate and immersion-breaking. Ugly, actually. This weekend I'll sticky the prose building guides within the strategy guides. When IBIII is released I'll use the building pics from that to make the 2D flowcharts. By then, assuming I've learned how to use Gimp reasonably well, I should be able to produce something more appropriate.
    Ok no rush on this my friend. It will be a progression until finishedon the first post. We will see its development in progress

WIP. Still working on this. When its completed I will post on page 1

1. Settlement Hall and Barbarian Chieftain Hall
    2a. Civil Provincial Administrators or Regional rulers
    2b. Military Provincial Capital Rulers or the settlements' Capital ruler

1. Settlement Hall
    Roman and Romano Cultures Only
    All Cultures(Editing) Romano cultures will have most but not all access. After the second level is constructed, the Barbarian style Governor Palace(Warrior Hold) cannot no longer be built by the Roman and Romano Culture. This building tree will be the governments' administration tree unless its destroyed by the player and the player decides otherwise.
    (Does not require A building)

2. 1st level Barbarian Chieftain Hall
    All Cultures(Editing). After the second level is constructed, the Roman style Governor Palace cannot no longer be built by the Roman or Romano cultures. The choice is made. This building tree will be the governments' administration tree unless its destroyed by the player and the player decides otherwise.
    Requires 1st level Market
    Requires Craftsmen
    Requires Armory
    3a. A Marchan: Pictavia Faction
    3b. Comites Civitatus: Romano and Roman Factions
    4c. Rí Ruirech: Gaelic Factions
    5d. Ætheling:Germanic factions
    3. Builds:
    3a. 2ed level walls
    3b. Courts of Law
    3c. Academy
    3d. Aqueducts

4 - Military Provincial Capital Rulers
    All Cultures:
    Requires Craftsmen
    Requires a Warrior or Treasure Chest(1st level building in Castle Tree Building)Roman Culture is excluded after the 2end level, Provincial Capital Rulers Building is completed.
    Gesith: Germanic Factions
    Provincial Dux: Roman and Romano Factions
    Mormaer: Pictavia Faction
    Ri Buiden: Gaelic Factions
    4.Builds:
    4a. Kings Castle Building Tree
    4b. 2end level stables(Roman and Romano factions)
    4c. 3rd level stables(All Cultures: Starts Gaelic and Pict and Germanic Cultures )
    4d. 3rd level barracks

-I'm about 70% done. More detailing, Expansion on trees, and description is needed.
    Last edited by Riothamus; March 07, 2014 at 02:27 PM.

I'm also working with gimp Theramines - just ask and you will be heard

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Roman Culture: Western Roman Empire(Soissons) Councilium Britanniae
    You should first build the Corn Market, which allows you to build the Small Market.

The Small Market allows the construction of five important branches of the building tree. These are:

1. Armory, then you can build the Chieftain Hall (first level Barbarian), or Governors Villa (2nd level Roman). These allow recruitment of higher tier units.
    2. Craftsmen, then you can build the Treasure Chest (Warlords Booty), then 1st level of the Kings Stronghold. These improve your economy and units.
    3. Ports - first level. Improves your economy.
    4. River ports - first level. Again, your economy.
    5. Training Gyrus (for cavalry) - first level needed to build for Horse Breeding (first level stables).

Romano British Culture: Guened Alt Clut Gododdin Ebrauc Dumnonia Llydaw
    You should first build the Corn Market, which allows you to build the Small Market.

The Small Market allows the construction of five important branches of the building tree. These are:

1. Armory, then you can build the Chieftain Hall (first level Barbarian), or Governors Villa (2nd level Roman). These allow recruitment of higher tier units.
    2. Craftsmen, then you can build the Treasure Chest (Warlords Booty), then 1st level of the Kings Stronghold. These improve your economy and units.
    5. Training Gyrus (for cavalry) - first level needed to build for Horse Breeding (first level stables).

Gaelic Culture Mumainha Uí Néill Connacht Dál Riada Pictavia

Germanic Culture: Ængla Saxons Franks(Merovingians) Alemanni Sahson Ēotenas Thuringians Frêsland

Thanx for this. I'm a bit lost with the economy and government in this mod. I didn't play much the M2TW vanilla (but I'm not sure it would help anyway) but I don't remember there was so many choices. Even in mods like DLV.

Now this period being a special crossroad in history, it seems logical to have different options in the process of civilization, but those choices are not always intuitive.

I started a campaign with the continental roman faction so at the moment I'm just trying to stabilize my economy. But when territorial expansion will come I will be needing all those descriptions.

PS : About merchants. I just have one right now, but it cost me 200 a turn and the ressources around are never giving me more than 80 to 106 a turn (grain being the most valuable atm). Any solution to improve his output ?
    Last edited by Yerevan; March 05, 2014 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post
    Thanx for this. I'm a bit lost with the economy and government in this mod. I didn't play much the M2TW vanilla (but I'm not sure it would help anyway) but I don't remember there was so many choices. Even in mods like DLV.

Now this period being a special crossroad in history, it seems logical to have different options in the process of civilization, but those choices are not always intuitive.

I started a campaign with the continental roman faction so at the moment I'm just trying to stabilize my economy. But when territorial expansion will come I will be needing all those descriptions.

PS : About merchants. I just have one right now, but it cost me 200 a turn and the ressources around are never giving me more than 80 to 106 a turn (grain being the most valuable atm). Any solution to improve his output ?
    Over time they gradually gain experience and then the profits begin rolling in. I'm not sure how long this process takes. It may be a good few years before this comes about. The strategy guide hopefully will give a fresh perspective on the mod. There is still very much to do on this but I'm glad you can see some of its significance in the madness of it all. Its important to see also how the Romano culture such as Dumnonia, and Ebrauc etc.. can choose the regression toward the Barbarian Germanic or Gaelic types or toward(to a point) their Roman predecessors. We Thank you Yerevan for you interest and kind words
    Last edited by Riothamus; March 05, 2014 at 06:12 PM.

I'm also working with gimp Theramines - just ask and you will be heard
    Thanks!

I've been playing around with it this week, learning stuff. I will need your help! I used Photoshop professionally back in the late 1990s, but this Gimp is really difficult to understand. Its user manual is confusing tech-babble and it's nothing like anything I've used before. I'll push on though, because I really want to do this.

2a. Civil Provincial Administrators or Regional rulers(economic assimilation)
    2b. Military Provincial Capital Rulers or the settlements' Capital ruler (military assimilation
    4 Roman Government Center 2nd level of this tier( Roman assimilation Roman or Romano factions only. Other factions are excluded)
    5 Barbarian Government Center (Culture Assimilation)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1. Settlement Hall
    Roman and Romano Cultures Only
    All Cultures(Editing) Romano cultures will have most but not all access. After the second level is constructed, the Barbarian style Governor Palace(Warrior Hold) cannot no longer be built by the Roman and Romano Culture. This building tree will be the governments' administration tree unless its destroyed by the player and the player decides otherwise.
    Builds:WIP

2. 1st level Barbarian Chieftain Hall
    All Cultures(Editing). After the second level is constructed, the Roman style Governor Palace cannot no longer be built by the Roman or Romano cultures. The choice is made. This building tree will be the governments' administration tree unless its destroyed by the player and the player decides otherwise.
    Requires Craftsmen
    Requires Armory
    Builds:
    3Civil Provincial Administrators or Regional rulers
    3a. A Marchan: Pictavia Faction
    3b. Comites Civitatus: Romano and Roman Factions
    4c. Rí Ruirech: Gaelic Factions
    5d. Ætheling:Germanic factions
    3a. 2ed level walls
    3b. Courts of Law
    3c. Academy
    3d. Aqueducts
    4 Roman Government Center 2nd level of this tier(Roman or Romano factions only. Other factions are excluded)
    Requires Civil Provincial Administrators or Regional rulers(1st level tier)
    Builds: WIP

5 Barbarian_Government Center
    All Cultures
    requires Livestock Cattle Farming. A Roman Governors Palace 3rd level cannot exist
    Builds:
    5a Mercenary Buildings
    5b 3rd level Kings castle
    barb_council_chambers 2nd level
    Farms 3rd level
    Market 3rd level
    Barracks last level
    Stables last level
    Barb Treasury 2end level requires Livestock Cattle Farming A Roman city hall town hall 3rd level cannot exist

6 - Military Provincial Capital Rulers
    All Cultures:
    Requires Craftsmen
    Requires a Warrior or Treasure Chest(1st level building in Castle Tree Building)
    Provincial Capital Rulers
    Builds:
    Settlement Capital Military Rulers
    6a. Gesith: Germanic Factions
    6b. Provincial Dux: Roman and Romano Factions
    6c. Mormaer: Pictavia Faction
    6d. Ri Buiden: Gaelic Factions
    6e. Kings Castle 4th Tier(All Cultures)
    6f. 2end level stables(Roman and Romano factions)
    6g. 3rd level stables(All Cultures)
    6h. 3rd level barracks(All Cultures)

I'm about 95% done. More detailing, Expansion on trees, and description is needed.-
    Last edited by Riothamus; March 10, 2014 at 11:46 PM.

2b. Military Provincial Capital Rulers or the settlements' Capital ruler
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read:

I'm about 90% done. More detailing, Expansion on trees, and description is needed.-
    Studying these made me realize how important the choice is for certain factions between barbarian and roman tech trees. As Rio mentioned earlier:

Its important to see also how the Romano culture such as Dumnonia, and Ebrauc etc.. can choose the regression toward the Barbarian Germanic or Gaelic types or toward(to a point) their Roman predecessors.
    I'll also expand the 'Assimilation' sections of the strategy guides to make sure players are aware of this. I'll rename it 'Building and Assimilation' and sticky the tech trees within.

Studying these made me realize how important the choice is for certain factions between barbarian and roman tech trees. As Rio mentioned earlier:

I'll also expand the 'Assimilation' sections of the strategy guides to make sure players are aware of this. I'll rename it 'Building and Assimilation' and sticky the tech trees within.
    I expanded post 36 a bit Theramines. I gave the first level Roman Governors' 1st Level Palace settlement a 1st level market requirement and cleaned out a few not needed either or requirements. I added in both Roman and Barbarian Government Centers and will further expound soon. I still need to add to it(more info and branch more to help it resemble a tech tree for you
    Last edited by Riothamus; March 10, 2014 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    I expanded post 36 a bit Theramines. I gave the first level Roman Governors' 1st Level Palace settlement a 1st level market requirement and cleaned out a few not needed either or requirements. I added in both Roman and Barbarian Government Centers and will further expound soon. I still need to add to it(more info and branch more to help it resemble a tech tree for you
    More added 3/14

Re did Post 1 bottom page spoiler. Added 2 more building branches an clarified info I will try and add post 36 info to this soon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast