Thread: Diplomat problems

Default Diplomat problems

For some reason after a few turns i am no longer able to initiate diplomatic sessions with other factions. The AI can still talk to me but whenever i use my diplomat and try to move them to a AI character/town i get an "X" on the cursor like when u cant move anymore. Spy still works havent tried the assassins but they prolly work too. Help would be great having fun by the way

Default Re: Diplomat problems

I am playing as Ithaca right now and i can send a diplomat to the capital of Thesaly but not other cities and i can send my diplomat to other diplomats it seems. But i still cant negotiate with other faction armies. Would be nice to be able to bribe a massive army at my door step . But anyways things are good so far

I'm having that same problem, it was also like that in the beta, i think its disabled to make more of a challenge. Or atleast thats what i remember hearing from someone.

Its the same for me. But I thinks its intentionaly so you can't bribe and that sort of thing.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Richini
    Its the same for me. But I thinks its intentionaly so you can't bribe and that sort of thing.
    Bingo! We're still thinking about this though, and it may change in a future patch. But it may not.

I dont mind not being able to bribe but i cant even ask for things like trade rights or alliances and stuff like that. Although i think it always works if i send my diplomat to another diplomats both hostile and friendly. Ive noticed that i can send my diplomat to some cities but i cant to others. For example i can send my diplomat to my allies cities but i cant send him to Neutral faction cities and hostile cities. Asking for a ceasefire or something might come in handy if one is in trouble or demanding tribue and stuff like that, especially if they dont have a diplomat for one to contact. But ill live having fun by the way

Maybe to counter this problem we could start all teams with more diplomats and lower the upkeep. I myself have trouble finding ai diplomats sometimes as they really do travel. Well just my 2 denari

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

If you wish to bypass this restriction, it can be changed with a small edit, though this is kind of cheating (not staying in the spirit of the mod). Just go to "Rome - Total War/data" (not "Rome - Total War/bi/data") and find a file named "descr_cursor_actions". Scroll down to the area that says 'selected diplomat' then down to 'over enemy' and change three 'Na' to 'T' (first 'Na' after 'family', 'garrisoned_settlement', and 'garrisoned fort'). Alternately you could rename of move the vanilla "descr_cursor_actions" before installing TTW and simplely replace the TTW version with the original so that it works the same as vanilla.

Bayzent's Avatar Libertus

Yes it's intentionally, like in Zhanguo TW. Zhuge Liang may hate all those corrupted generals who disband they armies for some gold .

Anyway you can talk with other diplomatics as usually...so the diplomacy is not really dead...only the bribes and stuff...
    He was experiencing the aural equivalent of looking at a picture of two black silhouetted faces and suddenly seeing it as a picture of a white candlestick. Or of looking at a lot of colored dots on a piece of paper which suddenly resolve themselves into the figure six and mean that your optician is going to charge you a lot of money for a new pair of glasses.

--THGTG

bribes would be great - gets dull when everyone is killed off
    Dominius Latronius Dominarus: An Elder HighBorn: Latronii Dominaruses: Gens Latronia, Alea iacta est"

Gaius Marius Julius Caesar

Mirconus the Great's Avatar Civis

No, as I said in "Greeks as barbarian culture thread" I say it again here (don't accuse me for spam, pls, just saw this post later and thought it'd be better to tell you here). It's much more realistic the diplomat to diplomat treating...
    Bribing would be good only against "non-family-member" armies.
    Last edited by Mirconus the Great; November 01, 2006 at 12:14 PM.
    YES, I DO LOVE ANTIQUITY