Thread: High res unit models not working?

Default High res unit models not working?

Well, this is something I've noticed. Every time I relaunch the game I also have to re-tick "high res unit models" checkbox again, and that is what I do. Problem is, I'm not so sure it's working at all.

The models in the game look good enough, but if my eyes don't deceive me, the units shown on the loading screens look a bit sharper, and seem to have much more detailed faces, in particular the roman legions, though I have noticed this for others as well.

Anyone got an idea? I'll post comparison pictures for reference a little later if need be.

Default Re: High res unit models not working?

Do you also need to keep re-checking your 'Post-Marian General' box too?

Look carefully at the 'Starts In' segment of your shortcut on the desktop - it should be pointing at '........./Launcher'. If it's not, then change it. I'll make a guess - does it currently say '......UI/Wonders'?

This seems to happen if you change the icon - but not always.

I spent months hassling poor Paedric about this - and we tried everything; until I noticed that when having had enough and looked 'elsewhere'!
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

It sure does say UI/Wonders. I'll try changing it. Thanks, you've been very helpful.

Like this:
    "C:\Games\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\Data\UI\WONDERS"

To this:
    "C:\Games\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\Data\Launcher"

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I would honestly say that only if you are playing RS2 on a Pentagon computer with a Teri-byte of memory, an I7 Intel or better, and a video card cooled with nitrogen....well, you get the idea......you don't 'need' to check high res models. RS2 uses ALL high res models anyway, and when you zoom in, that is exactly what you are seeing anyway. The only thing that the high res models DMB changes is the distance (90 meters as opposed to 50) that the game starts using sprites at. But if you are zooming in expecting to see faces, the high res setting is useless. When you zoom in, that's as good as it gets.

I think a lot of things affect how good these models look....I know that Tone posted a LOT of pictures that are just incredible. I've never had a PC that could look that good.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

i play with high res ;P i think you are exagerating the stress it puts on the pc
    I have by no means a monster laptop