Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Variant Editor - Beginners Guide to the Assembly Kit

Default Re: Variant Editor - Beginners Guide to the Assembly Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Mackles View Post

If you do that then you should have a rigid_model_v2 and a VariantMeshDefinition file for your recoloured item. If you place those into the correct folders within "working_data" then you'll be able to use them in the VEd.

Can you clarify this part a little more?

Not relevant to my previous post, I could still use help with that, but now I have another problem.

I finished my first unit and put it in game to test and ran into this interesting bug. Pay attention to the faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDUTLQJ9xVI

Mackles's Avatar Roma Invicta

Quote Originally Posted by Murderin View Post
    Can you clarify this part a little more?
    If you follow Zaskar's recolouring tutorial then at the end you should have a couple of .dds files and a rigid_model_v2 file per asset that you changed. To use them in any case you'll need to create a VariantMeshDefinition file that references that rigid_model_v2 file. Once you create that definition then you can just put it in the appropriate folder in the Assembly Kit's "working_data" folder (e.g. for a piece of armour that would be "working_data/VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/armour") and then be able to access it in the VEd by the "Add mesh reference" functionality from right-clicking on a slot heading on the left hand side.

However, if you also put the rigid_model_v2 file in the same folder, and put the .dds files into a sub-folder within the armour folder (create a new folder in the "armour" folder and call that one "tex") then your new asset will appear in the appropriate list of assets on the right-hand side of the VEd, and will be made distinct from vanilla assets by it's name being italicized.

As for the faces, I have no idea! It might help if you could post your code for that unit to see if there are any errors or conflicts occurring.

I'm not sure if this will help, but it has everything but the gladius and pilum in the shot.

I wonder if it could be caused by putting wrist bands in the props slot. I noticed that everything shadowed slightly when I put them in there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buggy skin.jpg  

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

When not using faction colors and saving the unit, I somehow cant get it to keep the color I decided it should have.

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    When not using faction colors and saving the unit, I somehow cant get it to keep the color I decided it should have.
    Does it pop up with an error about no uniform color in the data or something when you try to save definition and colors?

If so I fixed that by putting an entry for my model in the unit_variants_color table. When you change the colors in the variant editor and save it it should pop up in the TWeak status bar that you have updated the unit_variants_colors table with new colors for your unit.

Does it pop up with an error about no uniform color in the data or something when you try to save definition and colors?

If so I fixed that by putting an entry for my model in the unit_variants_color table. When you change the colors in the variant editor and save it it should pop up in the TWeak status bar that you have updated the unit_variants_colors table with new colors for your unit.
    You mean in the mod pack with the pack file manager?

Ok I havent even yet created my mod pack yet, so I guess I should have created one right from the start (I suck at using it and always screw things up)

I have another question.

If you load the Uniform of the Galatian Raiders you should see this:

Look at the left hand corner: You see that there are 2 different types of skins with their own variety. One wears tunics - the other does not.

In the game this results in the unit having a mixed uniform of half naked and wearing tunics.

I was amazed by this and created two different versions of my Galatian Royal Guard reskin with: File - new definition - man:

Each one of these uses different helmet types that wouldnt work together.

I then created a new definition: File - new definition - man final. And added both those definitions above into it:

My question is: Does this work????

If you want I can send you the file and see if I made any mistakes.

SCREW IT!!!

Once I have finished this I`ll make a mod that changes the Galatian faction color., there`s certainly a toturial on that somewhere out there.

You mean in the mod pack with the pack file manager?

Ok I havent even yet created my mod pack yet, so I guess I should have created one right from the start (I suck at using it and always screw things up)

I have another question.

If you load the Uniform of the Galatian Raiders you should see this:

Look at the left hand corner: You see that there are 2 different types of skins with their own variety. One wears tunics - the other does not.

In the game this results in the unit having a mixed uniform of half naked and wearing tunics.

I was amazed by this and created two different versions of my Galatian Royal Guard reskin with: File - new definition - man:

Each one of these uses different helmet types that wouldnt work together.

I then created a new definition: File - new definition - man final. And added both those definitions above into it:

My question is: Does this work????

If you want I can send you the file and see if I made any mistakes.
    If I follow you it would indeed work, but only if you choose it as your units variant in the unit_variants table.

Although there is no need for two different versions for variety. As long as you add it to the same slot it has a 50/50 chance of one of your units wearing it in game.

The variant editor works much better combined with the kit database editor rather than PFM. As long as you have an entry for your new model in the right tables the variant editor will save any changes inside the working data for you, all ready to be packed into a mod.
    Last edited by Murderin; February 05, 2014 at 08:44 PM.

Is it just me or do none of the slinger units in this game have slings equipped in the variant editor?
    Last edited by Murderin; February 06, 2014 at 07:56 AM.

Biarchus

"First off, open up the file location of the assembly kit (it should be in "Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Total War Rome II/assembly_kit") and go into the "working_data" folder. This is where the VEd will need to work from when you are creating new units, and therefore where you will need to store your custom meshdefinition files.

For the actual completed unit files your work is already done for you. You should see three folders, the last of which will be called "VariantMeshes". Within this there will another folder called "VariantMeshDefinitions". It is in this folder that you will save and store your completed unit files, until you get to where you want to install them."

I don't see any folders inside working data, especially not VariantMeshes and VariantMeshDefinitions?

I didn`t even bother to ask: I there a limited number of things that one can add into a category?

Like if I add 10 different helmet types into the helmet category - will they all show in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Mortarion View Post
    "First off, open up the file location of the assembly kit (it should be in "Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Total War Rome II/assembly_kit") and go into the "working_data" folder. This is where the VEd will need to work from when you are creating new units, and therefore where you will need to store your custom meshdefinition files.

For the actual completed unit files your work is already done for you. You should see three folders, the last of which will be called "VariantMeshes". Within this there will another folder called "VariantMeshDefinitions". It is in this folder that you will save and store your completed unit files, until you get to where you want to install them."

I don't see any folders inside working data, especially not VariantMeshes and VariantMeshDefinitions?
    You are safe to just create them, don't worry.

I didn`t even bother to ask: I there a limited number of things that one can add into a category?

Like if I add 10 different helmet types into the helmet category - will they all show in the game?
    Yes its fine as long as its in the right slot. It will just give the unit more variety in their appearance.

Seems like half of the armor in the models pack don't even have a rigid model file.

Re coloring is pretty limited.

Biarchus

You are safe to just create them, don't worry.
    Thanks

This is alot more work than what it looks like.

Doas anyone know what causes this:

Doas anyone know what causes this:

Yes, using a skin made for cinematics does that as far as I know. That should probably be added to the OP.

Pick a different skin. Cinematic skins normally have "cine" in the name.

Also your shields and weapons aren't set up to the right bone.
    Last edited by Murderin; February 08, 2014 at 07:11 PM.

Yes, using a skin made for cinematics does that as far as I know. That should probably be added to the OP.

Pick a different skin. Cinematic skins normally have "cine" in the name.

Also your shields and weapons aren't set up to the right bone.
    I added the shields to the shield category though.

Is there something that I am doing wrong by doing that? Or do I have to do more than just simply adding the shields I want to the shield category?
    Last edited by Kraut and Tea; February 09, 2014 at 06:34 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast