Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    @Ink: Nope. When have the Brittish been known for their military prowess (clobbering natives with machine guns doesn't count). Navy, yeah sure. But army? They lost to a bunch of farmers, twice, andf got thier asses kicked by Argentina (who would have won the mavinas war had the Brittish not accidentally broadcast thier entire strategic plans to the Argentines and had the Argentines not thought it a ruse)
    Okay, I'm going to be patient here. It does take a lot of patience to talk history as a Brit (especially an English Brit) because people seem to have a historiographical chip on their shoulder. I can only guess that they feel threatened by British historical discourse being so influential, and by the obnoxious Rule Britannia Sharpe-fans who think Britain never lost any battles. So I can understand why people are so eager to make jabs at British military history where they can. But that doesn't excuse this utterly lamentable post. Adrian, you are better than that dude. Let's say we're going from the inception of Britain onwards, I'm going to make some very general statements but I want to watch the House of Cards finale before I sleep. On a side note, it's a very predictable and facile argument made by anti-Brits that because Britain tended to fight with other allies whilst on the continent, they were cowards and can be given no credit for any of it. I won't deal with that argument because in almost all of the victorious cases the British performed at the least admirably.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- War of the Spanish Succession: The British and Dutch infantry were the best in Europe, hands down. The British were well-equipped, had many skilled officers, solid artillery and their cavalry was also very capable (see Palmes' defeat of the elite French Gendarmes at Blenheim with either comparable or inferior numbers of standard Horse). It would be disingenuous to grant all of the credit in the very numerous Allied victories to non-British parts of the armies or to Marlborough's genius. The British army was recognized by contemporaries, with the infantry in particular noted for maintaining perfect discipline under fire, and being able to dish out as well due to a perfected platoon drill and high-calibre muskets.

I haven't studied the Quadruple Alliance much yet, so if you can fill me in on any humiliations for Britain in it, please do.

- War of the Austrian Succession: Though not Britain's best war, once again the British infantry prove themselves on the field. The worst defeat of the war, Fontenoy, sees the British (unfortunately led by a young rash dude) pretty much alone attacking a line of French entrenchments after the half-hearted Dutch assault fails. The British alone come very close to winning the battle, cutting deep into the French lines and defeating the French Guards, until, like at Cannae, they could no longer redeploy/manoeuvre, were outflanked by enemy reserves and heavily defeated.

- Seven Years War: In fact, I think I'm going to claim that the British army was generally awesome in this war, despite some embarrassments in North America. The burden of proof is on you to show me up.

- American Revolutionary War: So this must be the first case of 'farmers' you're talking about. A laughably ignorant claim. Trying to consistently occupy enormous tracts of hostile territory in a land thousands of miles away from your home and with a relatively small army severely lacking in cavalry and supplies, whilst being engaged by a rebel professional army aided by guerrilla-style-terrorists/patriots, plus a coalition of France, Spain and the Dutch internationally? Then don't forget the strong movement of opposition to war against the Americans within Britain. Sure, I guess you can call all that 'farmers'. Sounds like a walk in the park.

In all seriousness, the British army was definitely not at a high point between the 7YW and the Duke of York's reforms after the 90's, which I admit. That being said, despite its glaring weaknesses at this time, the British army still won most of the battles it fought against the rebels. To be expected, I guess.

- French Revolutionary Wars: Kind of meh, but not any worse than the performance of the other Coalition forces.

- Napoleonic Wars: Again, I'm going to sit back and place the burden of proof on you to disprove me when I claim that the British army overall accounted for itself very well in the field. I'm not saying the French had it easy in Spain, but please show me how bad the British troops were.

I'd like you to explain to me how the British were worse than other contemporary armies in WW1 and WW2 -admitting that Singapore was an utter disgrace and France in 1940 is really nothing to be proud of at all. As for the Boer Wars, I really have not studied them in depth, but again I don't think anyone would claim that the boers weren't an extremely potent and indomitable force who knew exactly how to fight in their homeland.

Sure, we can't really compare with the Americans in both Gulf wars and Afghanistan, and there have been some notable cases where the disparity in capabilities was apparent, but the British army is currently pretty experienced and professional. Its reputation is mostly undermined by the effect of budget cuts and silly like what that Daily Mail article points out.

As for the Falklands, I'm kind of wtf'ing here. Please explain to me how the Argentinians kicked British ass. I am well aware that there was a lot of luck involved in the British victory (which was needed, because they were only attacking a superior, entrenched force half the world away from home, but I guess you wouldn't count that) but there was also a lot of audacity, resolve, and sheer operational mettle too.

I'll continue this in VM if you reply. God, I'm going to have to start a list of these.
    Last edited by Inkie; February 27, 2014 at 07:31 PM.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Someday I'll be citizen! I have like 10 expired points too, so I'm glad those don't count.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I'd love to be a citizen, and I aim to be one of 'em. Me loves teh politicks.

Waiting for my points to expire. It'd be at least 2015 before I am at least eligible. What are the requirements to be patronised? Just good posts and a friendly citizen who knows you?

@Pasan: Thanks for the link mate. It will certainly help in making a 'government structure' chart based on TWC, albeit Derpy was true about a lack of fixed hierarchy.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Pretty much, but holy crap you were in the doghouse, with a year of points.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    Pretty much, but holy crap you were in the doghouse, with a year of points.
    That part of the forum is too bad to be the doghouse. Fortunately I stopped going there.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

What part, the D&D?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I agree that most of Britain's military history was forged by gunning down natives. But to Britain's credit all of that expansion means that they fought lots of natives and usually the stronger ones. The only strong guys that France was facing at the time were the Qing Empire, Kingdom of Dahomey, Samori Toure's Empire and the Toucoleur Empire. The other colonial powers were having a rather much easier time.

Britain was fighting the Zulus, Mahdists, Egyptians, Sikhs, various Indian kingdoms, Ethiopia, Ashanti, Qing Empire, Boer Republics, I could go on but I have already shown a lot of stronger enemies than those faced by France. The French for the most part would just invade a weak as place in Central Africa and kill a few villagers or fight some raiders and then those bunch of disorganized villages would just surrender.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I agree that most of Britain's military history was forged by gunning down natives. But to Britain's credit all of that expansion means that they fought lots of natives and usually the stronger ones. The only strong guys that France was facing at the time were the Qing Empire, Kingdom of Dahomey, Samori Toure's Empire and the Toucoleur Empire. The other colonial powers were having a rather much easier time.

Britain was fighting the Zulus, Mahdists, Egyptians, Sikhs, various Indian kingdoms, Ethiopia, Ashanti, Qing Empire, Boer Republics, I could go on but I have already shown a lot of stronger enemies than those faced by France. The French for the most part would just invade a weak as place in Central Africa and kill a few villagers or fight some raiders and then those bunch of disorganized villages would just surrender.
    So Britain only fought colonial wars? Money, please read Inkie's post.

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Jesus.

Chat thread: A study in why simplifying history does not work.
    Last edited by Påsan; February 28, 2014 at 02:20 AM.

@Bolded part. I would rephrase that. You can say that colonial expansion typically involved fighting less advanced peoples. You can say that Britain gained the largest of the empires and so did a lot of that, but we're talking about the considerable amount of British military history centred on the continent or fighting Western foes. Additionally, it's strange that you acknowledge the tenacity and skill of many of the foes fought by colonial powers, and yet repeat the trope of "gunning down natives". Though most of the fighting done by Britain in the Georgian period was against 'Western' foes, they were also going up against very powerful Indian foes in times long before they had an overwhelming technological advantage. Even when Europeans did, lots of the wars they fought were still difficult ones that required effort and skill to see through. Lots of people make the mistake of thinking that colonial warfare was simply "natives without hope of victory charging at machine guns" again and again.

So are you claiming that France picked soft targets to colonize? Don't forget the Kingdom of Annam who ended up fighting alongside the Qing during French expansion in 'Indochina'. I haven't looked into it much, but they didn't seem like pushovers. I suppose you could argue that they didn't end up fighting as many tough enemies as the UK did, but I don't think that's something deliberate that can be used to discredit their military history, or belittle those of other colonial powers.
    Last edited by Inkie; February 28, 2014 at 05:52 AM.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

My professor asked about who was assassinated in the Ides of March in 44 BC. Problem for me was that he put Caesar and Gaius

as separate answers and I put Gaius, would I get the answer wrong since he said the answer was Caesar ( I mean Gaius and Caesar

is about the same thing)

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Always safe it in tests.

It is a very misleading question, granted. But there is a ton of Romans named Gaius and only one known popularly as Caesar.

But go to your teacher and tell him why you id so and if he is a fair and just ruler he will give you the required points.
    Last edited by Påsan; February 28, 2014 at 07:51 AM.

Well I got the point, he just made a mistake on that one and put Gaius by accident, so yay.

EDIT: HE got the first and second punic war mixed up and I end up correcting him on it (well I don't point it out, but

I need to explain why they are different.....)
    Last edited by Spartan999; February 28, 2014 at 08:05 AM.

Teacher doesn't sound very smart.

His a history teacher and a fire fighter, his bound to forget things like that from time to time (plus my expertly is ancient history so I have to

know that)

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

How can he do teaching and fire-fighting at the same time??

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I was referring to the 1800s. But I don't think anyone can disagree that the French had much easier colonial wars than the British. I'm not necessarily saying that France chose it to be that way but the British colonial wars were a lot more hard core in general. Again, that huge swathe of Africa that they cut out for themselves was easy pickings for the most part. Although Britain had the luxury of not being involved in very many European wars in the 1800s.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 28, 2014 at 09:08 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

​Darn I missed a cool historical discussion.

Nappy III was kind of an idiot, too. France in general was one huge mess from 1790 to 1945 at least it seems.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Militarily he may not have been the best around but Napoleon III was hardly an idiot. He is the guy responsible with l;aying the foundation for France's railroad network and building 30000 kilometers of it himself, he completely modernized France's ports (he's the reason why ports Le Havre and Marseilles are so large today), he rebuilt Paris into the capital of the world (following his uncle's plans, but still), created the second largest maritime fleet in the world almost from scratch, greatly expanded the french economy, almost single-handedly set-up France's financial infrastructure (France's two largest banks - Credit Lyonnais and Societe Generale - exist solely because of him), he pretty much broke Ottoman power in the Balkans by removing the Danubian principalities from the Ottoman sphere and setting up the stage for Bulgaria's independence, he was the first promoter of the idea of self determination and had a heavy hand in creating countries such as Italy and Romania and finally he more or less completely reinvigorated France's agricultural system.

Say what you will but I would choose him over le Roy Soleil any day of the week.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!