Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Greetings folks, I would like to remind you that the Scriptorium Winter Writing Competition ends tomorrow. Please make sure to go and read them for this is one of the best finals in the contest's history.

Here's an outline of the finalists: a short very amusing story which explains why it is logical to hate humans, an account of the grim realities of life on the soviet-finnish border during the Winter War and the musings of roman philosopher as he lay dying at the hands of Hannibal in a field outside of Rome.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

I actually wanted to contribute and write something, but I knew I wouldn't finish it.

Well, I guess I can contribute at least a tarantula here.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    börk börk

Vađarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

Is that a red knee tarantula? Looks kinda like it but wouldn't make sense as it's the thighs who're coloured.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] țví ađ međ lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi međ ólögum eyđa.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Quick somebody call for Johnny Rico.

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Just get one of those wasps or praying mantis to kill it. Or with fire .
    Last edited by Spartan999; April 19, 2014 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Greetings folks, I would like to remind you that the Scriptorium Winter Writing Competition ends tomorrow. Please make sure to go and read them for this is one of the best finals in the contest's history.

Here's an outline of the finalists: a short very amusing story which explains why it is logical to hate humans, an account of the grim realities of life on the soviet-finnish border during the Winter War and the musings of roman philosopher as he lay dying at the hands of Hannibal in a field outside of Rome.
    But they don't read my stories, so I won't read theirs.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

@Diamat, good lord Poland what have you been up to?

@Legio Italica, WTF man!

Total winner by the way
    @Pike, I love Chinese music, keep it coming. Also Mongolian music sounds so cool. Especially that Mongolian violin thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfpLk5AJ1ME
    Dat thingie

Also some awesome Soviet music by Basil Poledouris
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsiwBoUQPM

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

YEs Chinese MUSIC! I can't stand how everybody prefers Japan to China! Mongolian and Soviet are good too.
    "牛鬼蛇神的文字" by Fu Sinian on Chinese characters.
    ("A Cow Demon and Snake God's Writing System")

"汉字不灭,中国必亡" Lu Xun also on Chinese characters.
    ("If Chinese Characters don't die, China will perish")

Just looking at Bo1Bo1Sha3 signature with all the Chinese characters in it.

I was curious about Chinese and spent a little time looking into the writing system. It still amazes me how so many characters are used in the writing system and how technology seems to be coming to the aid of education. I have heard that people who don't know the character they want use pinyin on their computers and it looks up and displays the correct character. I also read an old article (1930's) where the writer was describing the difficulty of using Chinese dictionaries and index systems to look up words and that scholars were at the time using translation books to look up the term they wanted in English and then find the correct character in Chinese. Thousands of Characters in use and multiple languages/dialects using these characters to mean the same thing across all of them despite have completely different words for the character. I respect anyone who takes the time to learn any of the dialects and specifically those who can recognise a large number of characters as they don't always abide by the traditional rules.

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.

Pćsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by G-Megas-Doux View Post

Thanks I feel safer now. Remember the only good bug is a dead bug.

Would you like to know more?

Also credit avatar from.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Bo1Bo1Sha3 View Post
    YEs Chinese MUSIC! I can't stand how everybody prefers Japan to China! Mongolian and Soviet are good too.
    Japan has great music

​Nah, just Record of Lodoss War and its soundtracks which I would love to liberally post

You know that some of the progressions in more modern Japanese and Chinese music are reminiscent of European music. By the by I watched a documentary on the history of Blues music and the historian pointed out that at the earliest points in the development of the blues the lowest economic groups who would be working together in America would be Black, Oriental and Irish or British workers and that when they were interacting they would bring their own music styles. So rhythm from the black workers, lyrical construction found in folk songs in the UK at the time and the pentonic scale from the orient. I cannot guarantee the varsity as it is contested by the black community that blues was developed solely by them at least according to what I watched. Just thought I would share as I found it interesting. It was something I saw on BBC 4 last year.

Also credit avatar from.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Anyone want a copy of Syberia? Just got it cause it was super cheap on steam.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

"I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill 'em all!!!"

I love that so many TDers know Starship Troopers.
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; April 19, 2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: macro my bad
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post

We know it because we are servants of the all knowing god. Behemecoatyl

Also credit avatar from.

Pćsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

It is practically one of my all-time favorite action movies.

Everyone is doing their part.

Yessir
    Last edited by Pćsan; April 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

I love Starship Troopers

"RICO! YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO" Instead of shooting him in the head for an instant kill he unloads his clip into the dude's chest lol.

Also this:

And Denise Richard in her prime:

A dreamy film.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    @Pike, I love Chinese music, keep it coming. Also Mongolian music sounds so cool. Especially that Mongolian violin thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfpLk5AJ1ME
    Sure thing!

Just looking at Bo1Bo1Sha3 signature with all the Chinese characters in it.

I was curious about Chinese and spent a little time looking into the writing system. It still amazes me how so many characters are used in the writing system and how technology seems to be coming to the aid of education. I have heard that people who don't know the character they want use pinyin on their computers and it looks up and displays the correct character. I also read an old article (1930's) where the writer was describing the difficulty of using Chinese dictionaries and index systems to look up words and that scholars were at the time using translation books to look up the term they wanted in English and then find the correct character in Chinese. Thousands of Characters in use and multiple languages/dialects using these characters to mean the same thing across all of them despite have completely different words for the character. I respect anyone who takes the time to learn any of the dialects and specifically those who can recognise a large number of characters as they don't always abide by the traditional rules.
    On the phones I noticed a lot of Chinese typing in pinyun and it gives them the Character they want. I noticed a small minority that have a program where they "write with their finger the character (usually a part of it) before selecting a character.

Chinese characters makes learning the language much harder for me. I am a visual learner, so not being able to see the words makes it hard for me to learn the vocabulary. Signs in China tend to have the characters and (in Changchun) maybe the words in English.

You know that some of the progressions in more modern Japanese and Chinese music are reminiscent of European music. By the by I watched a documentary on the history of Blues music and the historian pointed out that at the earliest points in the development of the blues the lowest economic groups who would be working together in America would be Black, Oriental and Irish or British workers and that when they were interacting they would bring their own music styles. So rhythm from the black workers, lyrical construction found in folk songs in the UK at the time and the pentonic scale from the orient. I cannot guarantee the varsity as it is contested by the black community that blues was developed solely by them at least according to what I watched. Just thought I would share as I found it interesting. It was something I saw on BBC 4 last year.
    You can say the same thing about Jazz or Rock and Roll music. I think there is a difference between who developed the sound and what help to influence the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post

Yes,... and I feel dirty about it.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVULv9jIlI4
    Best Japanese music ever!

Characters are certainly an issue in foreign languages. Otherwise I might well be speaking every language by now. ing Hebrew letters making my damn young life impossible!
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; April 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō