Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor

Could this actually be a good LotR game? Definitely looks ambitious.

Looks like a mix of Assassin's Creed, Witcher, and Dishonored. Seems like an open world assassination game set entirely in Mordor.

8 minutes of gameplay, enjoy
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Default Re: Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor

I actually kind of like what I'm seeing but I'm wondering if this isn't plain illegal what they're doing ?

Citizen

You mean based on how much it copies Assassin's Creed?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Sure do

Looks ok. I dunno. It's so uncharacteristically LOTR though.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Looks pretty damn amazing to me.

Im pretty pumped for it, its been awhile since we've had a good LOTR video game. Though I am worried they'll get in trouble for using AC2's engine.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Get in trouble for what? What are you lot even on about? Some gameplay looks like another games, Oh Em Gee.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Get in trouble for what? What are you lot even on about? Some gameplay looks like another games, Oh Em Gee.
    Apparently they might be using some code from AC2.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Yeh one of the devs who'd worked on AC2 says it looks similar, after watching a few minutes of a gameplay trailer.

I'm pretty sure the publisher, a little company called Warner Brothers, aren't marketing games with 'stolen source code'.

People will really jump on any old bandwagon. I want to see proof, of which there will never be any.

I think I recognise some of the assets from Assassins Creed too. That could be a serious problem for them.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm mostly disappointed in the plot and stuff like that, the gameplay might be good though.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_the_terrible View Post
    I think I recognise some of the assets from Assassins Creed too. That could be a serious problem for them.
    When he climbs on the bridge, it is exactly the same moves they use in AC 2. 100% identical. I think that anyone who completed AC2 noticed it immediatly. At least Warner understood the concept of AC far better than Ubisoft that has not been able to make a good AC since AC2.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I think the concept etc is amazing. I just wish they chose some other lore to bastardise.
    Middle Earth lore works because it's already had so much work and detail put into it and when you start changing things around to sell flashy games to the youth, it gets messy.

If Peter Jackson doesn't stop messing with and letting others mess with the stories, then The Tolkien Estate, who already hate what Peter Jackson has done, will NEVER let him have the rights to The Silmarillion.
    I WANT A SILMARILLION MOVIE SERIES!

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

An Assassins Creed-clone when we already have a glutting amount of AC-games that haven't changed at all bar ship-mechanics? We've even had an abundance of LotR-based fighting games.

If it avoids the obnoxious story of AC II and the typical sleepwalking difficulty of AC, then it might be still worth a buy.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

An open world LotR game? I'm up for it.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Citizen

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...r-similarities

Assassin's Creed 2 combat designer Charles Randall called out the similarities on Twitter (picked up by IGN).

"Seriously, can someone tell me how Assassin's Creed 2 code and assets are in this Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor game?" he asked his followers. "This is *my* code in that game!" he exclaimed in a later response.

"I spent two years staring at AC2. I know it when I see it."

He suggested that Warner studio Monolith (F.E.A.R.), the developer of Shadows of Mordor, may have even licensed the Assassin's Creed engine. He wasn't, he later clarified, suggesting theft of any kind. Perhaps AC was just used "as heavy reference".

"For the record though, that Middle-earth game looks pretty damn awesome. And I love AC2 so it's kind of a double win."
    The lead designer is denying any connection.
    ttt

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

This on the lore so badly, but there aren't many LotR inspired open world games around.

Anyway, am I only one who is skeptical about that "generating unique bosses for each playthourgh" gimmick? I doubt they recorded lines for every single possible encounter and outcome. Methinks only the character model and name will be different.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Anyway, am I only one who is skeptical about that "generating unique bosses for each playthourgh" gimmick?
    Of course not. It's a shining example of a cool premise or a potentially-unique idea that will either fail to deliver or be incredibly underwhelming.

I don't know why they chose a grimdark setting for this game. It really seems to come out of nowhere. What's wrong with just creating your own character and having it be open world?

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast