Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls Online

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: New 8 minute Elder Scrolls Online cinematic and Imperial Edition announced

Rants about the essence of Elder Scrolls, then returns to the game that completely missed that essence in a way that will be hard for TESO to top.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: New 8 minute Elder Scrolls Online cinematic and Imperial Edition announced

It's my opinion; no game can ever top Oblivion for me. Skyrim is a great game, but Oblivion has attached itself to my soul like no other game ever will.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Quote Originally Posted by Aethelwulf Winterfylleth View Post
    It's my opinion; no game can ever top Oblivion for me. Skyrim is a great game, but Oblivion has attached itself to my soul like no other game ever will.
    I'm going to guess that it was your first TES game, Morrowind did the same for me, while Oblivion did nothing for me.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

I'm going to guess that it was your first TES game
    Precisely! Morrowind is cool; I love it's depth, but I think whatever your first ES game is will blow you away.

I don't want to lambast your opinion, I just find it funny that your reaction to TESO is so similar to a lot of people's opinion of TESIV.

It shows just how subjective this all is.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Played Oblivion for years and was still blown away with Skyrim. I don't see any reason to go back to Oblivion. So much for "first TES"

But yeah, this looks more like WOW than TES to me.

The graphics and animations alone.. Big overdone and completely unreal character designs with blocky animations.
    Last edited by Påsan; February 19, 2014 at 10:47 AM.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

I really enjoyed Oblivion as my first TES game, but thought Skyrim was an improvement on a ton of things and I think I liked that one better.

Although then again I really didn't like how it seemed like the entire world was the same ~10 people with different names, I'm hoping they've stayed away from it in ESO (and all future games)

on a side note, did the last beta already get put out? As in if I haven't gotten an invite, do I have to wait for the game to go live?
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

The Old Republic 2 is shaping up...
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Skyrim you can get a non-fatal headshot with an arrow and they'll blame it on the wind! I do love Skyrim's bow killcam though....
    Last edited by Aymer de Valence; February 20, 2014 at 02:24 PM.

Precisely! Morrowind is cool; I love it's depth, but I think whatever your first ES game is will blow you away.
    Oblivion was my first yet over time I grew to like Skyrim and Morrowind a lot more .

Poach's Avatar Civitate

I'm most interested in the PvP. I do enjoy huge, endless PvP battles.

Seen a few more recent videos, and honestly it's looking better than I last saw it for myself.
    Coming betaweekends will be crucial, as I really want a new MMO to try and love the setting. That and Wildstar is beginning to lose its charm, feeling dated in the last vids I saw.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    I don't quite get the monthly subscription thing so I'll pass. Can't get the idea why you still need to pay every month to keep playing for the game you've already bought.
    I spend more money going to the movies (by myself, let alone with a girl) for one evening then I would to play a MMORPG for a month.

However I don't think the sale of the game itself and expansions is reasonable if you have a subscription. The game should be free to download, and all the expansion content should be built into the subscription fee. You pay to play, that's it.

Of course I'm the guy who pretty much only plays free cosmetics based games and hasn't spent a cent on them. I'm actually starting to feel bad. Must be my Catholic guilt of my Jewish blood.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; February 25, 2014 at 05:22 AM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

I can invite a "friend" for this weekends stress test. It's a big download, so if you want to play it keep that in mind. You get a free monkey. I probably won't even get to play since my internet takes a literal century to even get this game patched, and last time I almost had it fully patched all the data reset. Maybe someone else can get some time in.

Who wants in (I only think I can bring one)? No NDA this weekend.

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

Played beta this past weekend. I have been a fan of the series since Oblivion in 2007. I enjoyed it a lot, already preordered Imperial Edition for only $64 from Green Man Gaming.

It's obviously not a traditional Elder Scrolls game, but for me, it's fun. Didn't try the PvP but that looks ing amazing.

If you ask me, it doesn't feel like WoW very much. The combat is like the Elder Scrolls without collision (you can walk through enemies, and for good reason, I wouldn't want that when fighting in thousand-person battles) and with MMO abilities.

And honestly Pasan, I prefer the stylized look to the faux-realistic potatofaces of TES IV and V.
    Last edited by Geleco; March 03, 2014 at 11:04 PM.

when is the mandatory F2P pay to win edition that usually happens to failed mmos coming out?
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    when is the mandatory F2P pay to win edition that usually happens to failed mmos coming out?
    In this particular case? 1 month after release.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

I've been in a few beta rounds by now. Having no experience with MMO's and coming from Oblivion and Skyrim, there are some obvious oddities. Imagine hundreds of people playing those games in one world? Often you will find several "chosen ones" grouped around one quest-giver. The feeling of having a special destiny won't last long. Personally I don't think they should have bothered to try. Combat isn't much like Oblivion or Skyrim IMHO. For instance, when you try to dodge a spell or arrow, you'll often find it will change course to hit you after all. Maybe that's inevitable in a multiplayer environment though. Likewise, you really don't have to be precise about aiming blows, spells or arrows. Instead of being about quick movement and accuracy, combat seems to be much more about effective use of your special abilities. It's fun in its own way, but not typically Elder Scrolls. I felt more like being inside a single person Dragon Age origins.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I have no interest in MMORPG's. Seeing TES Online just makes me turn elsewhere for a proper rpg. Also, regardless of who is praising the graphics or what needed to have a smooth game play over the bandwidth, this is sub-standard/obsolete graphics in 2014.

Looking at PvE footage, it looks boring.
    PvP looks promising, sort of a next gen dark age of Camelot.

The problem with DAOC was in large part cheating. You could buy or get a free hack program that would show where EVERYONE was long before you could see them. Either you cheated or you were slaughtered, there was no in between.

I'm wondering what sort of "anti-hacking" EEO has. Lately I've been VERY disappointed with MMO's and hacking and I'm not going to play another one unless I can have some assurances about it. (PS2 I'm looking at you)
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast