Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324

Thread: Modding Summit and related discussion

Default Re: Modding Summit and related discussion

Well I can tell you that I wasn't invited to this thing. I bring this up because even though a lot of my work was with assets I didn't directly make, the technique of bringing in custom meshes, skeletons and animations would not be what it is today if it wasn't for me(and Grudge for a couple of aspects animation wise but my point still stands). I like to think that I've had some significance in Total War modding, especially over the past year. Idk, maybe I'm just coming off as arrogant but it kind of rubs me the wrong way, ya know?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Well lets just wait and see once the announcement of which modders were invited and to what input they will have at the summit?

I still would have thought that an event that all could have contributed would have been more beneficial, and a media that is available to allow live events to be streamed etc..
    What kind of event could you have that "all" could contribute to though. I mean how are you going to have 1000's of people interacting in any meaningful way with but a few developers. The only way any kind of meaningful interaction can be had is if it's a few people.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well if it is one thing I ask of you modders when you go to that summit Please bring TED!!!! The community can create excellent battle maps! He'll someone can recreate the alpha Carthage battle. Also ask Ca to remove 2 km by 2 km map. We need 4 by 4. We need campaign editing tools especially for those that are making the Lotr more.

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Creative Assembly kit is good mod tool, its just not realy flexible like pfm, hope they can improve this aspect
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Do you have a problem with this years attendee list?
    Who's going?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Who's going?
    Well that's what I was going to ask you, as you seem to have insider info, knowing that they didn't ask for suggestions for who to invite and whatnot.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Well that's what I was going to ask you, as you seem to have insider info, knowing that they didn't ask for suggestions for who to invite and whatnot.
    Whaa? I certainly haven't seen them asking around this community, have you? Another community perhaps?

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

What kind of event could you have that "all" could contribute to though. I mean how are you going to have 1000's of people interacting in any meaningful way with but a few developers. The only way any kind of meaningful interaction can be had is if it's a few people.
    Not necessarily, we could stream online and have a q&a session in this day of technology anything is possible!

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Not necessarily, we could stream online and have a q&a session in this day of technology anything is possible!
    Yes you could do that, just like the Twitch streams they've done in the past (the Attila twitch q&a), but I don't know how you think 1000's of people will interact with the developers in any meaningful way through something like that, you'd be wading through thousands of comments, spam and dumb questions just to get to the few decent bits. And even then when you have a decent question you could answer, how do you hold a meaningful discussion about that topic, let alone trying to do so with the person who raised it.

For a Q&A it's fine. It's just not feasible for the format of the summit because the summit isn't just a Q&A, yes questions are asked and answered but its much more based around discussions between multiple involved and knowledgeable parties. If you think a purely streamed online event could achieve that you are truly kidding yourself.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Surely if you have some particular pressing question then you can just ask someone who is going to bring it up for you? I would guess CA just invites a handful of people who they see as having made the most interesting mods and who have been seen as giving back the most to the community. I really don't think any kind of general discourse would be particularly helpful, you would jut end up with people asking basic and unnecessary questions. I'm pretty sure a select group could ask 95% of the important questions the general community might ask.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedge Knight View Post
    Surely if you have some particular pressing question then you can just ask someone who is going to bring it up for you? I would guess CA just invites a handful of people who they see as having made the most interesting mods and who have been seen as giving back the most to the community. I really don't think any kind of general discourse would be particularly helpful, you would jut end up with people asking basic and unnecessary questions. I'm pretty sure a select group could ask 95% of the important questions the general community might ask.
    Actually it seems (based on the mod summit thread in the Attila forum) that it is most likely a number of people who went last year + some official mod award winners...+ possibly a few others as well?

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

I would hope that the mod award winners made the most interesting mods. You won't know until the day though, they send out the invites way in advance.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedge Knight View Post
    I would hope that the mod award winners made the most interesting mods. You won't know until the day though, they send out the invites way in advance.
    Mod awards were the best from the 5 most popular voted in each category, not necessarily the most interesting from all mods. Thats not trying to take anything away from those mods who won. Just saying popular doesn't automatically equal interesting let alone most interesting from all.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    Mod awards were the best from the 5 most popular voted in each category, not necessarily the most interesting from all mods. Thats not trying to take anything away from those mods who won. Just saying popular doesn't automatically equal interesting let alone most interesting from all.
    Popular and most interesting, rarely go hand in hand. Though there are some exceptions...

If anyone that is going to the summit reads this, it would be greatly appreciated if this were on a loop in your head to the tune of The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Building slots, building slots marched off through the glen
    Building slots, building slots could you ask them then?
    Can we return, to like in the past?
    With building slots, lots of building slots, building slots.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Is there a third modding summit? I did not see an announcement for that.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Is there a third modding summit? I did not see an announcement for that.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...od-Summit-2015

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I see. So no ask for volunteer this year, just select guys who already went there? Always the same getting the free beers.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I see. So no ask for volunteer this year, just select guys who already went there? Always the same getting the free beers.
    I believe there will be a mix of old and new faces at the mod summit.