Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Summit and related discussion

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Modding Summit - Call-Out to Those Interested

While I appreciate the trouble some went through for this `summit` (whatever that means here), I still see nothing that points to anything of consequence that would improve the game of Rome 2.

I like to say things as I see it and all I see is an attempted propaganda exercise by CA using Modders of the forum (again).

What can`t be said now that has to wait for later? I mean, surely there`s got to be something GOOD one of you guys would like to let everyone know now.

Sorry, guys.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by =Vastator= View Post
    Thanks for the "new" info, though i think misinformation cannot be fought only with "rumors" and "no exact technical specifics on the matter".
    For example, "inadequate" for what? For 3d audio systems? If it's so, paying for a expensive licence, in order to bring a little more quality for people that owns specific 3d audio systems (1% of players?), and making the other 99% suffer from limits, like that above regarding modding, seems a pretty stupid move.
    I wasn't going to grill Guy on the intricate programming reasons of why this new system was necessary. I don't know why you've completely made up an argument about this being about some 1% of blah blah whatever. I said nothing like that and you're purely making assumptions which only serve to hurt this community..

At the end of the day people will wear their tin foil hats, if you think their agenda was to lie to us and they've upgraded to this new system to upset their fans, there's nothing anyone can do to change your mind anyway.

EDIT:
    Oh and btw I'm writing a lot of stuff up right now, as I'm sure are all other modders who attended. Like Craig said, please wait for these write ups before assuming nothing happened.... lots happened.
    Last edited by .Mitch.; March 04, 2014 at 09:58 AM.

Mackles's Avatar Roma Invicta

Default Re: Modding Summit and related discussion

Oh daniu (really sorry you couldn't make it dude!), before I forget, I asked about the possibility of splitting the startpos.esf into several parts. Definite no on that. Everything in there is too intertwined and the effort required to do it in a way which wouldn't be horrific to sort out is not something Guy or Rob were interested in. Which is fair enough - if it ain't broke don't fix it and all that.
    Last edited by Mackles; March 04, 2014 at 10:05 AM.

Though if it's for the turns per year you want to mod the startpos, they could just move that tiny bit of information out and read it from another file instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    While I appreciate the trouble some went through for this `summit` (whatever that means here), I still see nothing that points to anything of consequence that would improve the game of Rome 2.

I like to say things as I see it and all I see is an attempted propaganda exercise by CA using Modders of the forum (again).

What can`t be said now that has to wait for later? I mean, surely there`s got to be something GOOD one of you guys would like to let everyone know now.

Sorry, guys.
    Given the fact that you guys worship modders and talk about how they can do anything it's a tad ridiculous to talk about them being used for propaganda because from what they're posting at the moment it doesn't look like that at all.

And to top it off some of you are saying the modders have been brainwashed I mean come on! Let's wait for their write-up.

I wasn't going to grill Guy on the intricate programming reasons of why this new system was necessary. I don't know why you've completely made up an argument about this being about some 1% of blah blah whatever. I said nothing like that and you're purely making assumptions which only serve to hurt this community..

At the end of the day people will wear their tin foil hats, if you think their agenda was to lie to us and they've upgraded to this new system to upset their fans, there's nothing anyone can do to change your mind anyway.
    Well for someone whose had to work with technology there's always these new nice technologies that come out like on a monthly basis and the "higher-ups" gets us to use these new programs. The new programs are good in a way but for some strange reason they sacrifice some of the features the older programs had before. We lament over the loss but we just get over it and move forward. That's just how it is.

There really is no conspiracy.
    Last edited by nameless; March 04, 2014 at 10:53 AM.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Mackles View Post
    Right, so Noif wasn't exactly on the mark on the question of music modding. The trouble atm is that we know that CA switched the program they were using for audio and music to wwise. The reason for this is simply that their previous program was no longer up to scratch and couldn't offer everything they needed, not just in terms of quality but also to help cut-down on file size without sacrificing quality. (Compression is a huge issue for CA and something I'll try and go into more detail later.) Now, we can't access wwise unless we do a whip around and come up with ~$100k.
    That doesnt makes sense.
    The license for WWise cost 15.000 $ if the developement budget is superior to 1.500.000 $. and then depeding on plugins and dlc's and stuff...
    However, for non-commerical projects its freaking free. You understand ? Its free. You can download it from audiokinetic.com, register
    a free license and you are good to go.
    But the guys at audiokinetic dont know if the free kit will work with Rome 2 sound files if they dont have been designed to be accessible.
    Saints Row 3 uses WWise and .WEM files for its sound too, they are basically optimized .WAV and they have been designed to be accessible for that game (at least thats what WWise HelpDesk replied to a fellow TWC forumer at his request) So its up to the company if the files can be accessed later by a third party and if the system is designed to reckon new injected .WEM's. I hardly can see a copyright issue here cause I repeat. The SDK for WWIse is free and it does convert .WEM to .WAV and viceversa.
    Last edited by chris10; March 04, 2014 at 01:10 PM.

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

By any chance Trish, did you manage to record the summit like you said you might?

Radious's Avatar I came, I saw, I modded

Finally home, was a long day!

Ultra123 : Summit was recorded by Lionheart, he did some great footage and you will be able to se it in upcomming days/weeks. You know, editing time aka removing inappropriate scenes, bribing etc.....classic work.

Since i read here some negative stuff, please read also this - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...us-Full-Report

In my opinion it was actually very positive and you guys have a much to look forward!

Winner of the 2011, 2012. 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Modding Awards in Total War Shogun 2, Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.
    Follow us here - Team Radious

So, they were friendly, they answered stuff and wrote notes.
    Wow.

I'll wait a few days for the full reports of everyone and videos (I hope no "rally point" type videos ) but it seems like if there is no UBER COOL announcement made in now or very soon, it will just mean the positive stuff isnt up to par with my expectations: this game doesnt need a slightly improved mod tool to be released in 6-12 months, it needs total overhaul and for this modders need the tools to basically rewrite the game like they wish to. Goddamn.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

About modding music Guy said he would talk to wwise and see if something can be worked out with the free version.

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

Thanks for the response radious, and while iv got your attention i want to say kudos to you and what you are doing for the TW series. Im very grateful for your input on this summit, and it makes me relax knowing you attended. TW needs people like you.

Keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    <snip>
    Conspiracy theories aside, Guy gave us a good, long presentation on how various things work and general processes, as well as a light covering of some of the biggest challenges they face on the programming side of things. The biggest thing seemed to be simply fitting all the content they want into the limitation placed on them by 32-bot OS's. In a few years we might get the jump to 64-bit, which would give CA 4000 times the memory budget, but right now they do struggle with a lot of techniques for saving on space and cutting corners (doubtless that will be picked apart by some enterprising soul).

It is possible that they lied to our faces and changed their system just to mess with people. Or it could genuinely be possible that wwise has what they needed to maintain the sound quality while also helping to compact things more. And that having approached the tool from a purely technical standpoint that they completely overlooked the whole situation with how it might affect modding. That being said, it was mentioned that people on TWC had been in touch with AudioKinetic and that there could be the possibility of something being worked out. Now that CA know that they could go directly to them it is possible they will manage to resolve the issue on their end. It could simply be something that never occurred to CA. There were other areas today where it turned out they have stuff we could really use but simply had no idea anyone would actually want it. As Kinjo and I have said, it is something they have said they will look in to.

still Mackles, they chose fatigue animations, cheering and soldiers jumping while standing over something that basic as slashing animation for axes and clubs... i doubt there is single player out there who would make such decision if he was asked what is more important (maybe it is easy to say for me, but for a game, better gameplay beats the eyecandy all the time... look at Minecraft success)... We are aware of 32bit limitations.. thing is, practically EVERYBODY today has a 64bit CPU, and 64bit system is the most numerous amongst players (at least STEAM statistics show that) I think time to move to 64bit was yesterday, and sooner they start moving to it, better.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

I wonder if an "Ask Me Anything" thread would be good about this summit.

Any good questions/answers can be moved to the OP. Hopefully turning into a FAQ of the mod summit.

Anyone interested?

Well, that is one thing i was asking for since this game got out..

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Well, that is one thing i was asking for since this game got out..
    I know what you mean, but I'm talking about a AMA for this summit. No just a thread where people ask questions to CA, last one wasn't succesful because there was 90% of questions being reasked and already known answers.

sure, post away, would like to read something about the summit already

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

sure, post away, would like to read something about the summit already
    Go forth and ask away, I will tell you what I can!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...sk-Me-Anything

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    I wonder if an "Ask Me Anything" thread would be good about this summit.

Any good questions/answers can be moved to the OP. Hopefully turning into a FAQ of the mod summit.

Anyone interested?
    i'd be interested. but first can you hurry and and post your shiz? i'm waiting for your report because its probably gonna be the one that actually tells us what happened and what to expect.

still Mackles, they chose fatigue animations, cheering and soldiers jumping while standing over something that basic as slashing animation for axes and clubs... i doubt there is single player out there who would make such decision if he was asked what is more important (maybe it is easy to say for me, but for a game, better gameplay beats the eyecandy all the time... look at Minecraft success)... We are aware of 32bit limitations.. thing is, practically EVERYBODY today has a 64bit CPU, and 64bit system is the most numerous amongst players (at least STEAM statistics show that) I think time to move to 64bit was yesterday, and sooner they start moving to it, better.
    You will find that I am more of a critic of CA and certain of their design decision that I am a supporter. As are many of the guys who could make it to the summit. Still, at this point such things are in the past and we should really concentrate on what we can do in terms of modding, or perhaps even influencing decision on future content from CA's end. With that said, I did my best to keep the questions and conversation more focused on modding and where we can go with that, instead of tearing into them over things like camelgate.

Also, there is a fair amount of forward planning on their projects, as with most large software products. What might be obvious today may not have been so 3-5 years ago.