I see people asking this question all the time so I figured that I would create a thread which gives simple instructions as to how to quickly set up an account and get to playing online within minutes. By the way, you do NOT need to have an IGN account to play M2TW online.

Creating an IGN account will do nothing towards getting you set up playing online. I have no idea why everywhere you search on the internet people say that you do first need to create and IGN account but it is false.

Here is a post that I made in another thread on this subject

Quote Originally Posted by Friedrich Ironhide View Post
GameSpy may be kaput but that doesn't mean that it should take you more than 45 seconds to a minute to create an account. You don't need to download anything and you don't need to have an IGN account. That's all mis-information floating around the net.

All you really need is an internet connection, and about 60 seconds. Oh and the link below

https://login.gamespyid.com/login.as...C69254A349E44F

***Important*** I would deinately un-check all that garbage at the bottom: ie

File Planet Updates, Direct2Drive Updates and Offers, Gamespy News and Updates and IGN Partner News and Offers

Once you have filled out "New Users" section on the right (and un-checked all those stupid offers) just click the box on the bottom "Create My Account". If it doesn't go through within seconds, make sure your "Preferred Nickname" is unique. Then do it again. It took me months to sift through all the BS posted all over the internet to finally figure out how to do it. If anybody has any problems with this, just PM me and I'll help you out (or just make an account for you....I've created about 5-6 already for people).

By the way, if your CD key is ed up, lost or you have a pirated version of the game I can't help you there. Sorry. This works for legitimate copies only. YES, Steam copies are perfectly legit and you will have no problems playing online with a Steam game. In fact that's probably the easiest way to do it as Steam automatically patches your copy to the version necessary to play.