Thread: How to pinpoint city locations on the map in terms of x/y?

Default How to pinpoint city locations on the map in terms of x/y?

I'm trying to change ownership of cities, and to do that with some elegance, I need to ensure those cities start off with garrisons rather than troops that happen to be standing somewhere nearby-ish. The problem is that I cannot find anywhere in the data files that gives me a good x/y coordinate breakdown of exactly where cities are. In some cases, I can determine by looking up character names that start in those settlements, but this isn't always the case, especially with rebel-held starting cities. There's a regional description file, but it seems to list city placement by a completely different algorithm altogether. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: How to pinpoint city locations on the map in terms of x/y?

Before making changes - start up existing game - in strat map hover your cursor over the city you want co-ordinates of and open rome_shell by hitting the `¬ button (below Esc)
    type:
    show_cursorstat
    into that and hit enter - that should now give you region name and x y co-ordinates - use that method also to find valid (i.e. not on mountain /forest ) locations for armies to be positioned outside cities.

Oh and make sure you search descr_strat for those co-ordinates to move old army out!

There is also a nice utility that gives you all the settlement coordinates in the map. I wish I had discovered it before. Check this:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58429

Thanks for the fine answers, fellows!