Thread: Siege and fixes submod for RTRVII Gold

Default Siege and fixes submod for RTRVII Gold

One thing I always thought that RTRVII needed was siege engines, so I decided to make a little submod that added some. I also took this opportunity to throw in a few fixes and stuff to just make the RTRVII Gold experience a little better. Please post some feedback. Thanks.

LINK:
    RTRVII GOLD siege and fixes submod

Please read the Readme.txt included.

Install intructions and change log-
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    INSTALLATION-
    - Intsall RRTVII, then the Gold Patch, then extract the siege fix patch into your Rome Total War folder and overwrite, delete map.rwm file in RTRVII/data/world/maps/base folder. That's it.
    - It is NOT save game compatible and will most likely break your old save games.

CHANGES INCLUDE-
    -added 2 stonethrowers (30 mina and 1 talent) for the "civilized" factions, recruitable at their respective Capitals (except Pella for Antigonids) Antigonid, Romans, Achaians, Aetolians, Attalids, Aiakides, Spartans

-Cursus Honorum ancilliaries are now numbered with Roman numerals, just to make it easier for some people

-javelins stay stuck in the ground now

-tightened up the formation of the getai ramphoia swordsmen a smidgen and reverted their unit cards to the old ones just cuz they look better imo.

-fixed the "ailve" spelling error in the descr_strat

-fixed some inconsistencies in the edb

-fixed backround_script so that you receive the correct amount of population to be able to recruit elephants from Pydna on huge settings

-lowered the cost and upkeep of the Osci cavalry which was identical in cost to the superior Campani cav.

-reduces the chance to get the new "scroll" ancillaries, you got them way to often, imo, sometimes you got 4 or 5 of them at a time

-change the lethality for the Liburnian Skirmisher and Raetian Axemen to match the other axe wielding units

-lowered the cost and upkeep for the Tarentinoi just a little bit

----(((((thank demagogos nicator for pointing out the following fixes)))))-----

- tightened up the formation of the Macedonian Sarissophoroi

- fixed the celtic carnyx player so they actually play the carnyx instead of just holding it like a sword

-gave the Slaganz (German Clubmen) the slashing animation instead of the spearman animation that the had

-removed the horse bonus from the celtic chariots, please let me know if still OP or too weak, etc.

-gave epirus the unit cards for the Macedonian Sarissophoroi

OPTIONALLY INCLUDED ARE FILES FOR FASTER BUILD TIMES, installation and changes:

-to install, just drop the two files in you RTRVII/data folder after you've installed the other files

- reduced the build times of all buildings

- reduces the cost of roads dramatically

- reduce recruitment time for all "40" turn elite units to only 4 turns

- reduced "Indian Elephants" recruitment time at Pydna to 12 turns

I plan on expanding on this a little depending on if I come across anything in my "barbarian" campaigns. Also I will try to make the siege engines recruitable in places like Syracuse and Massalia and a few others once I work out the tricky hidden resources. I also want to fix the impassable Dardanelles, but I have no map experience whatsoever so if anyone has already fixed this or knows how send me a PM of post in this thread, I would low to add it in. Also if anyone has noticed anything else that needs attention or has any suggestions or gripes please don't hesitate to let me know.

CREDITS:
    Full credits go to the RTRVII team and anyone else who contributed to it's development also to the EB team for their siege equipment stuff particularly the Triakontamnaioi Lithoboloi, and the Talantiaioi Lithoboloi, the units, unit cards, and descriptions were made by EB team members for Europa Barbororum for Rome Total War.

DISCLAIMER: This submod will alter the balance of RTRVII Gold as it was intended by the RTRVII team.
    Last edited by the man, the myth, the legend; July 30, 2014 at 03:08 PM.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

dimnjacar's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Siege and fixes submod for RTRVII Gold

Excellent, I like it
    I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Well done. I like the changes you have made. I think that Equites Etrusci have smaller unit size because they are spear/lance armed heavy cavalry while Equites Campani and Equites Osci are skirmishers.

If I may made some suggestions for the expansion of your submod I would advise the following:
    - tighten up the the formation of Sarissaphoroi and give Aiakid Sarissaphoroi proper unit card
    - change the stabing animation of Germanic clubmen to a slashing animation
    - give the Celtic carnix player blowing animation as Getic one alredy has in RTR Gold
    - if possible reduce the effectivnes of Celtic Chariots against cavalry

Your right about the Equites, I'll fix. I'll add the other suggestions too, those are the kinds of thing I want to add/fix. The chariots I haven't fought with/against them much yet but I'll see whats up. Thanks.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Chariots are horse killer even in vanila but in RTR VII their effect against cavalry seems to be even deadlier. In previous patch I was able to destroy 3 units of enemy cavalry at once with one unit of chariots without loosing single men. In the gold patch it seems to me that situation is better maybe due to to bigger cavalry unit size but it is still not perfect in my oppinion.

Maybe you can try adding Celtic infantry officer also to their cavalry units. As far as I know RTR team never got to the point to make special model for Celtic cavalry officer.

Anything new here?

Yeah, I'm still planning on finishing this up I just wanna play a couple campaigns, one with Carthage and one with Epirus, so I can find anything else that needs polishing. Does any one else have issues with the new scroll ancillaries being way too easy aquire? It's a real problem during my Rome campaign, when I have to switch around the cursus honorum ancillaries and all my generals have all 8 ancillaries 5 or 6 of them being scrolls, once I got 4 of them in one turn on one family member. anyone else have this problem?

Does any one else have issues with the new scroll ancillaries being way too easy aquire?
    I do not know I have not played Romans for ages but I would like to start new Roman campaign this weekend when I am at home.
    Btw. It may be an interesting idea to give Ekdromoi Hoplitai fast moving ability in order to make them able to hunt down peltast as was their role historicaly. I know that RTRVII team speaked about doing so but for some reason it never happend (at least as far as I know).

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Sounds like a great sub-mod, after few months without games I want to try this Installing RTW right now

-updated OP, some new fixes and stuff.