Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Bottomless Pit (Chap. 65 - Fin.)

Default Re: Let's Kick the AI Down a Bottomless Pit ~OR~ Long Live Sparta ! (Chap. 11)

Discussion 1: Slingers.

Ok, so if you took a look at the per-unit battle reports:
    Spoiler for Numbers

You'll quickly notice that melee units are the bulk of casualties, while slingers are the main killers. Now, this early on it's not so clear, but later battles are much more obviously slanted. Due to the fact that the starting army is not one that I put together.

There's a few reasons for this:
    1. Melee fights in RSII take a while. Even elite infantry take a long time to kill low-tier infantry
    2. On Very Hard battle difficulty, the AI has large bonuses to attack. As a result, anyone taking hits from AI units will suffer fairly serious casualties.

Suppose the AI and you were both fighting head-on using this middle-tier hoplite:

Well the AI's soldier has 20 attack to your 45 defense. Yeah, it takes a while. However, my hoplites will take a lot of losses and they are annoying to replace.

Enter Sparta's favorite hoplite, the Ekdromoi light hoplite:

Do they die faster to enemy melee? Yep. IF the AI's unit would chew though our medium hoplite, they will burn through your light hoplites. But any settlement can, in two turns, churn these out.

Because they are a tier 1 barracks unit.

Now, there's an even better way to hold enemy units (pikemen) but I'll get to that in a bit.

Now, the slinger:

First, the slinger is obviously ranged. Second, the slinger's ranged attack is armor piercing.

There's multiple reasons why the slinger is basically the best way to kill stuff (including your own men, opps)
    1. Range means you ignore all enemy Defence skill. This is massive
    2. You get all 160 soldiers attacking, without any interruption.
    3. Armor piercing means you ignore half the enemy armor.

Now, these slingers aren't really SO great, at 11 attack. However, they are easy to get experience on, as they:
    1. Kill armies
    2. Don't die

This slinger has 10 base attack, and 1 XP => 11 attack (AP)
    Rhodians have 12 base attack. You can quickly get them to 6 XP, and upgrade them for 2 more damage => 20 attack (AP)

Now, one last issue. Ammo. With 4 units of high XP upgraded Rhodians, you can probably use them to dispatch the better part of 3000 heavily armored Romans.
    1. On the field, routing frequently occurs by the time you've killed about half the enemy.
    2. In sieges, you can bring up some reinforcements, having your empty slingers withdraw.

There's only one more ingredient to remember with slingers:

You want to flank. Or better yet get at the rear and totally ignore their shield stat. It helps to know that AI melee units generally do the following:
    1. They try to face the unit they are fighting head on.
    2. They don't try to move away or engage anyone else unless they have been attacked in melee.

#2 is important. Once you have pinned units (look for the status: Fighting) you can get really close to them and murder them.

#1 is a bit more subtle. If the AI is fighting your infantry in a bad spot, you can have your men move. The AI unit will follow, trying to face your men. This can be used to make the AI turn its men so that they essentially flank themselves. This helps keep your slingers safe.

Here, you can see the promachoi are angled so that if you faced them head on, one unit of slingers can shoot your right side, and the other one (further away) can shoot your back.

Generally speaking you may want to attack with your hoplites, then order them to run back and reform at an appropriate angle. This makes the enemy infantry face the way you want in a location that is good for you. I sometimes call it microflanking, as you aren't flanking the enemy's battle line, you're just twisting one of their units about to get flank shots in an easy way.

It is easy to get used to microflanking, the most common one is the AI has a unit sent to attack my flank. I intercept it and the units start fighting. I now turn my men so that the AI turns its men, such that slingers behind the end of my battle line can shoot over the battle line into the AI's flanking unit's side.

Alternatively, turn the AI's units the OTHER way (I frequently don't have extra slinger behind my line). As a result, now my flanking slingers have an easy shot at the unit that was trying to attack them, without having to move forward too much. You always want to have at least one unengaged unit of hoplites before trying to move your slingers forward on a flank - the AI will see and try to intercept. You need to intercept that, and kill them. Thus I use two units of slingers and two units of hoplites on each flank. They operate in slinger-hoplite pairs.

I often have a fifth unit behind the center so that I can shoot the enemy general or any heavy horse.
    Last edited by Alavaria; March 14, 2014 at 01:57 AM.

Default Re: Let's Kick the AI Down a Bottomless Pit (Disc. 1) ~OR~ Long Live Sparta ! (Chap. 11)

Chapter 12: By the Power of Medical Science!!

After the battle ar Kornithos, Agesipolis III obtained one of the most powerful men in the greek world. A surgeon.

When he introduced this man of medicine to the other Spartan generals, they were skeptical of his optimism, however the man would soon prove his worth...

Because there were about to be a lot of injured. What could one man do? It was time to find out.

Agesipolis: It is time to test our might!

Hipparinos: To arms, Spartans are here!

After their skirmishers were killed by Spartan horse, the enemy surged forward, intent on a melee match.

Hoplites approached the Spartan lines at a run and engaged with full enthusiasm!

On the right, a unit of less than twenty Spartan Marines (not sure if they are actually Spartans) backpedalled. The enemy gave chase and...! They got microflanked.

(You can see here their flank is facing the Spartan lines). The slingers were prepared and promptly sent the enemy running.

With the Spartan left advancing, the units in the center held their ground, while slingers advanced to a position to flank shoot another unit (the one further away from the bottom).

As soon as that unit broke, the center advanced, as the enemy's third unit advanced right into their "line of fire".!

From examining and finishing off enemies from Korinthos, it was discovered that shooting enemies in the back was not only extremely effective, but that fleeing enemies made very easy targets as they naturally had their back facing you.

In fact, Spartan slingers would in future try to prioritize shooting routers, as it was the most efficient way to deal with routers without breaking ranks or potentially sending horse into enemy reinforcements.

The sight of enemy horse spurred the various infantry into action. They advanced towards the enemy while slingers' shots flew overhead, taking down many of the enemy.

While slingers did not like seeing enemy horse, the feeling was mutual. Horses were large skittish targets, and any attempt to move away meant being shot in the back.

Agesipolis also managed to get into a fight with the enemy general. Third time in the third battle of his campaign.

However, this time he had much better luck, the enemy general left the narrow streets of the settlement and in so doing, allowed slingers to shoot his men. They went down very quickly!

The enemy general fled, leaving his dead bodyguard to be finished off by Agesipolis' hoplites.

Leading his remaining hoplites into the streets, he formed them up into a dense formation.

Hipparinos: Hoplites, form phalanx!

Hipparinos: This is where we fight! This is where they die!!

Default Re: Let's Kick the AI Down a Bottomless Pit (Disc. 1) ~OR~ Long Live Sparta ! (Chap. 13)

Spoiler for Chapter 13
    Chapter 13: Secret Reforms

In Thebes, the standoff continues! Sparta's heavy Metoikoi Hoplites, glittering in bronze armor, are being faced down by the Thebans in their heavy chiton tunics.

Agesipolis watched as the Theban 500 prepared for a bloody onslaught in the Hot Alleys of Thebes.

A slinger realized that Hipparinos, who had chosen to stand his ground on his horse was not also just an inspiring figure for his hoplites, but also was seated on his mount well above the heads of said hoplites. The helot saw a shot and took it.

The result was surprising.

After their general's horse had smashed its way out of their phalanx, delivering its rider into a quick death at spearpoint, the Thebans, found their formation disrupted, and enemies advancing towards them with blood-stained spears. They ran back and tried to reform. Which they did, however...

Spartan forces had already begun moving through the alleyways to flank them. The result was devastating.

It was less of a brave last stand than a mass execution.

Thus Thebes became Agesipolis' third conquest, all within a span of a few months.

The man had his eye on even greater victories and conquests, and was not about to stop there, of course.

Spoiler for Statistics

(I am keeping a tally of who takes what settlement and how many kills/deaths occur in battles)

Agesipolis: Machanidas, I returning to Sparte for reinforcements.

Machanidas: All Spartans are already here.

Agesipolis: I was given a dream; Sparta will use all men for war. I entrust the siege to you until I return.

Machanidas: Now a siege?

Agesipolis: Yes. It is time to end an old conflict.

Agesipolis: Take the men to Athenai. We will meet again there.
    Last edited by Alavaria; May 05, 2014 at 11:25 PM.

Default Re: Let's Kick the AI Down a Bottomless Pit (Disc. 1) ~OR~ Long Live Sparta ! (Chap. 13)

Spoiler for Chapter 14
    Chapter 14: In Which Helots

*shout of approaching soldiers*

Agesipolis: I've brought reinforcements!
    Machanidas: Ekdromoi hoplites and slingers.
    Pelops: You brought helots?
    Agesipolis: They will suffice, I have a plan.

Agesipolis: While I command the actual assault, have the bulk of the heavy troops begin a diversionary attack.
    Pelops: Is this a good idea? Ekdromoi and slingers...
    Machanidas: Well, let us trust in Agesipolis and do our best.
    Agesipolis: I won't mind if you take the walls, but don't actually press the attack until they begin pulling back.

*a while later*

Agesipolis: This was the best plan.
    Athenian Epilektoi: "There are Spartans in the walls, to ar---"
    Agesipolis: Lie down and die!

The slingers, having taken over the walls by trickery, caught the enemy's quick response force by surprise. The enemy were wiped out, most of them never seeing the rocks that did them in.

Helot Ekdromoi: "They're coming for us!!"
    Agesipolis: "Hold firm, it's just a few of them. Attack and surround them!"
    Agesipolis: "I am with you!"

Agesipolis: Hoplites, advance! The slingers will provide fire support.
    Captain: But slingers don't use fire arrows like the Cretans.
    Agesipolis: Well, then: the slingers will provide support. Forward!

Athens... would never be the same again.

Last edited by Alavaria; May 05, 2014 at 11:24 PM.

Default Re: Let's Kick the AI Down a Bottomless Pit (Disc. 1) ~OR~ Long Live Sparta ! (Chap. 15)

Spoiler for Chapter 16
    Chapter 15: Hoplite vs Hoplite

The Assault on Athenai continues...!

Agesipolis: Excellent work, men. A good portion of the Athenian defenders have been dealt with.
    Captain: How convenient that they've sent waves at us to be annihilated by slingers on their own walls...
    Agesipolis: Well, such is life. Machanidas should be meeting us soon.
    Agesipolis: Into the streets of Athenai! Ekdromoi, break up into small groups and check each alleyway or door we have to pass.

Ekdromoi: "The Athenians are still counter-attacking!"
    Agesipolis: "Don't be too frightened of the daggers of peltasts, use your spears!"

Machanidas: "Agesipolis, you're late!"
    Agesipolis: "A few thousand Athenians late, perhaps."
    Machanidas: "We didn't have any problems. Hey, wait, those marines are charging your...!"

Agesipolis: Slingers, take them out!

The Athenians were killed in no time by the fearsome helot slingers. Agesipolis' hoplites were of course quite thankful for the quick support.

However...

Ekdromoi: "You know, that's half a thousand Athenian hoplites charging us."
    Captain: "Close formation and use your shields!"

Pelops: This can't possibly end well.

Default Re: Let's Kick the AI Down a Bottomless Pit (Disc. 1) ~OR~ Long Live Sparta ! (Chap. 16)

Spoiler for Chapter 16
    Chapter 16: Genuflect.

Telephos: Men of Athens, the Spartans are down to their last men. Once we drive their Helot Hoplitai out of our square, we will retake Athenai street by street!
    Athenian Hoplites: Charge them head on!

Machanidas: Damn it, the men aren't going to hold like that. Heavy hoplites, move to their flank and provide some support!

Agesipolis: Why are the reserves moving? That wasn't the plan. Argh!
    Agesipolis: Never mind that, time enough to feast after we've driven these dogs back to the kennel!
    Captain: What?
    Agesipolis: Huh? Send the slingers to shoot them down. Especially those horse!

Telephos waited until his hoplites had collided with the enemy before leading his men to the flank. He could feel victory about to enter his hand, until he spotted the glint of cuirassed Spartan forces approaching. Wait, why were their heavy foot being kept back in the first place?

Cavalry Bodyguard: We're under attack!
    Telephos: Push forward and break the light foot, then we can worry about these reinforcements!

He turned around to check on his men, only to discover he had no men. Man and horse were scattered about, bleeding out on the ground behind him.

Telephos: Uh oh.

As Telephos was being swarmed by hoplites, just a few feet away...

Ekdromoi Captain: Thank you for the help, we couldn't have held them for much longer.
    Machanidas: Captain. Why did your men charge ahead?
    Ekdromoi Captain: General Agesipolis ordered us to advance on the enemy position.
    Machanidas: Your men did Sparta proud.

Machanidas began moving to the rear as his bodyguard moved around him, pushing other soldiers out of the way.
    Machanidas: Argh, what possessed him to do that...
    ???: Watch your tone.
    Machanidas: Who said that?
    Bodyguard Captain: General, there are men fighting around us, and you ask who said something?
    Machanidas: It wasn't a man, no, nevermind.

Telephos fell as his horse was speared to the ground, the animal pinning one of his legs.Around him, hoplites were finishing off his bodyguard with the bronze spikes at the end of their spears. That's when he heard a voice, not far away.

The higher tones of a woman could be heard despite the din. And it was coming closer? He raised his head and spotted the voice's owner in the crowd. Despite being armed with a spear and small shield, it was a figure that didn't belong on the battlefield, lacking a helmet and only clad in a long dress. It could only be-!

Telephos: Goddess! Help!
    ???: Who is it?

She looked around in his direction. The hoplites were approaching him, there were no options left.

Telephos: Your servant. Save us, or Athens will fall!

His heart fell as she turned away.

???: Athens will fall.
    Telephos: No... no! Athena, please!
    ???: I'm not the goddess you are looking for.
    Telephos: What? Please...
    ???: Keep praying, it won't be long.

One of the hoplites stood over Telephos and saw that the man was still breathing. He raised his spear, the head of which blocked out the midday sun.

Telephos: ...

Herald: This is a heroic victory, worthy of Greek soldiers!
    ???: Er, no. The word heroic is used for Clear Victories.
    Herald: Then: Your victory is total!
    ???: Crushing would be a better word.

Spoiler for Statistics (3259 Slinger kills)

Note: we suffered 581 casualties, of which only 371 were caused by the enemy. This means 210 were caused by something else. It isn't just being shot by towers either, as the Skiritai who ran around the walls only lost 38 (not all to towers). What does this mean for the other 172 or so?

A very significant fraction of our casualties were actually downed by shots from friendly slingers.

Additionally, we only lost 320 men, so 261 people were healed by Agesipolis' surgeon. That guy is pretty great at his job, you know...

Generally speaking, having one of these ancillaries will heal roughly half of the casualties. Additionally, it seems to tend to heal the ones who are taken down first.

Icon1 Re: Let's Kick the AI Down a Bottomless Pit (Disc. 1) ~OR~ Long Live Sparta ! (Chap. 16)

I have been spellbound. I beseech thee: More!

Rep when I can.
    Last edited by stackero; April 07, 2014 at 12:36 AM.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Default Re: Let's Kick the AI Down a Bottomless Pit (Disc. 1) ~OR~ Long Live Sparta ! (Chap. 16)

Sorry, can I ask you to not quote the whole thing. The forum starts to have issues when there's too many images. It's partially why I don't have really long updates.

And I have more images for you

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Sorry, can I ask you to not quote the whole thing. The forum starts to have issues when there's too many images. It's partially why I don't have really long updates.

And I have more images for you
    Yeah, didn't dawn on me how long that whole post was. But easily fixed with an edit. I'm use to spoilers.

I eagerly await more images and got an eye full from the Pictures thread.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Default Re: Let's Kick the AI Down a Bottomless Pit (Disc. 1) ~OR~ Long Live Sparta ! (Chap. 17)

Spoiler for Chapter 17
    Chapter 17: Epilogue: Athenai Burns

Athenai did not burn.

(Pictured: Didn't happen)

The battle for Athenai had ended in a disastrous Athenian defeat. In alleys between their own homes, in their open squares, in the various centers of power, the result was much the same; the Athenian defenders were slaughtered almost to a man of those bearing arms. The surviving Athenians, almost all civilians, had barricaded themselves in shack or mansion to await their end. Some did not wait for that, and instead committed suicide. There was an air of desperation and panic, but in complete silence. For who would risk being heard by a Spartan passing outside? It took a few days before the inhabitants of Athenai realized an amazing, almost miraculous truth.

After the fighting had ended, there were no screams of people being butchered in the streets. The sound of regular footsteps that had kept them cowering only went up and down the streets. Unbeknownst to them, most of Agesipolis' forces had been ordered out of the city, with only his trusted soldiers being left to patrol within the walls. Rather than pillage, Agesipolis levied war damages on the Athenians. However, this was more intended to cover some of the costs of the war rather than as a punitive measure, as both sides well knew.

Much to the chagrin of the Spartan forces, Athenai's famed Parthenon was not looted. Whatever the reason, the Athenians were greatly relieved...

(It doesn't give any law or tax bonuses...)

Machanidas: I still don't understand why you did that ... the helots, I mean.

Agesipolis: We can discuss this back in Sparte, but for now, battle!
    Agesipolis: I really want to see these "siege engines" at work.

Agesipolis: Olympia lacks even basic wooden walls, so it isn't that great of a field test, I guess.
    Machanidas: I wish you'd take battle a little more seriously.
    Machanidas: Like, why are the Ekdromoi in the center?!

Machanidas: The enemy horse are charging right into them!
    Agesipolis: Don't worry, they can hold their own... long enough anyway.
    Agesipolis: And where are those ballista?

Last edited by Alavaria; May 05, 2014 at 11:23 PM.

Default Re: Let's Kick the AI Down a Bottomless Pit (Chap. 18, Disc. 1)

Spoiler for Chapter 18
    Chapter 18: Peloponnesian League II Compact

Agesipolis: Never fear, of course the slingers will take care of them.

Machanidas: Those horse are reforming and on their way back...
    Agesipolis: Where were the hoplites assigned to guard them? Charge forward!

(Notice how 1 guy dies to the archers... wow)

Agesipolis: Wait, you there on the right, move back!
    Machanidas: This doesn't even look like a battle line anymore.

Agesipolis: This is the battle line, of the future!
    Machanidas: You can't be serious.

Even the enemy's chosen light infantry were unable to drive back the Spartans. The battle was definitely not in their favor.

Agesipolis: The ballista have arrived! Great!
    Machanidas: Will it do what those men from Athenai said?
    Agesipolis: One way to find out. Ballista open fire on the enemy, with -fire bolts-!

Machanidas: Oh wow, that is pretty impressive.
    Agesipolis: I have them working on an even larger series.
    Agesipolis: It will throw boulders like a slinger shooting pebbles!

Hoplites: We can't take them, run away!
    Slingers: Oh no you don't!

Agesipolis: See, this was a very heroic field test, worthy of greek siege engines.
    Machanidas: Ok, so explain what's going on.
    Agesipolis: Sure, I need your help for this part as well.

Spoiler for Details

After the battle at Olympia, Agesipolis announced the "Peloponnesian League II Compact", to which all the nearby city-states were "invited". Needless to say, they all accepted. Sparta was the leader, of course. Agesipolis was the commanding general of the League's forces.

The declaration was accepted enthusiastically by the Spartans, who saw in it the beginning of a new Spartan Empire.

In due time, the "League dues" would arrive in Sparte, of which Agesipolis only required two things: money and men. Not soldiers, just men. Naturally wary of anyone being enrolled in Spartan-controlled forces, the League members gladly sent all the poor, destitute and otherwise unwanted but fit men to Sparte.

This was all part of Agesipolis' plan. From these disenfranchised soldiers-to-be, he was about to craft something truly Spartan: Final Victory.

Agesipolis: So, I will need you to take command of a second force.
    Agesipolis: It will not be the best, but you should have an easy path.
    Machanidas: Because you're going to march right into the enemy?
    Agesipolis: Yes. A Spartan looks five times larger when they are in front of you.
    Last edited by Alavaria; May 05, 2014 at 11:23 PM.

Alavaria, I really like your pictures and what are you doing here overall, but there is one thing that shadows all and I don't understand how a passionate RSII player like yourself can enjoy it. Yes, it's about the slingers, they are simply too many.

Let's look for example at your last post: a spartan general and a promachoi unit have each 11 kills, 3 hoplite units have 0 kills, while a single unit of slingers has hundreds and hundreds of casualties inflicted. Or a couple of posts above, when you fought Telephos, you have a general with 0 kills, 2 hoplites with 2 kills each, a promachoi with 11 kills, hell, even an archer unit with 0 kills and a slinger unit with only 34 kills, I guess they weren't any enemies left for them... Leaving realism aside, how is that even fun for tens and tens of battles?

For me, every unit involved in a battle, including the general (especially for Sparta), must have at least 100 kills so that battle can be called at least a decent one. You do not need more that 2, let's say 3 if you really like them, units of slingers to get such a result (which is a victory, of course). There are so many units that can be used successfully in so many ways for one's enjoyment that I simply fail to understand why not do that, when you obviously like this mod so much.

I would call a bunch of skinny little guys running around and throwing stones at their foes a hobbit army, but it looks like even the hobbits where brave enough to face the enemy and not to go around their backs. I am sincerely sorry, but, at least in my eyes, this is...not Sparta!

It's almost as if...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Sparta is dead ! Long live Sparta !
    Also, which Spartan Promachoi, the unit is down to 48/240 men, and the Spartan Hoplites are down to 64/240 men. They're ~already dead~

I mean, I glossed over it, but basically a majority of able-bodied Spartan homoioi died in the first 6 months(1 turn) 3-settlement assault fest. The only ones left besides those few are the ones in the three generals' bodyguards and those too young/old who stayed in Sparte.

Melee units can't kill 100 guys without losing 200 at the same time. Unless... you mean they should do nothing but try (and fail) to chase routers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agapios View Post
    I would call a bunch of skinny little guys running around and throwing stones at their foes a hobbit army, but it looks like even the hobbits where brave enough to face the enemy and not to go around their backs.
    Uh huh, except the stones do nothing from the front in the world of RS2 unless you're an AI unit with bonuses.

What you really mean to say is "this is rediculous, it breaks any suspension of disbelief"
    I am sincerely sorry, but, at least in my eyes, this is...not Sparta!
    Yep, Sparta is already dead.

Look for that one unit that describes the Athenians running around and shooting Spartans from the flank of the phalanx, it's highly amusing.

And I admit, I've been waiting to use this except from the RS2 preview:
    Quote Originally Posted by Keravnos View Post
    Most people know Sparta.
    They consider it the Sparta which spawned the “300”, the Achaimenid Persian’s defeat, the “Molon Labe”

This isn’t that Sparta.
    Sparta of 216 is a wounded lion, a force broken but not extinguished, not yet at least.
    Last edited by Alavaria; April 11, 2014 at 08:02 AM.

You know exactly what I mean, please do not act like you don't. It is so simple, that discussions avoiding the very subject of the matter are pointless. It is your style of play, I get it, but I don't get how this is fun on the lung run. I just gave some examples, there are many others to be found in your pictures, like 200+ hoplites with 0 kills, if you really like to name some extremes ones. Too much slingers, it is unnecessary and not fun when you have such a variety of units available. That's all.

Also, you know already that infantry can have 100 kills without having over 200 casualties as you say, because, for example, in that same Telephos battle, you had an Ekdromoi hoplite with 73 casualties and 160 kills. And this is using a lower level unit, I am sure you also tried an elite one. But I repeat, these are just some examples, please do not forget/avoid the main idea.

And also, of course, you already know that Sparta has some of the best units in the game (doesn't matter if you use them or not) and you can take control of a rich land pretty fast with them, they are far from a wounded lion when the player takes charge of them.

I was hoping for an explanation on how this style of play can be fun, I still do...

Also, you know already that infantry can have 100 kills without having over 200 casualties as you say, because, for example, in that same Telephos battle, you had an Ekdromoi hoplite with 73 casualties and 160 kills. And this is using a lower level unit, I am sure you also tried an elite one. But I repeat, these are just some examples, please do not forget/avoid the main idea.
    I was clearly charging them into enemy infantry and having them stab 200 guys. Right, well you would know how they got those kills because after all, I fought the battle, I put up carefully selected images and then I put together a fanciful story written weeks after the battle.

No?

See, what happens is this: the enemy hoplites are crushing the light hoplites and then they are routed. By slingers. And naturally, they try to rout through the hoplites, who murder them. That 200 kills is like 20 legit kills and 180 routers.

It's like my pikemen unit, which once had 0 losses and 800 kills. ROUTERS. I've fought tons and tons of battles in the campaign, and you know what, the units that get wiped out because the enemy didn't rout have few kills. The ones that go in later get tons of kills. ROUTERS.

You should see what happens in actual fights when the enemy is not routing. Like some units that kill 20 Romans for the loss of the whole unit.

Spartan Hoplites cannot even kill Greek Heavy Peltasts head on within a reasonable frame of time. And do you know what happens when the skirmishers (which hoplites can't catch actually) bug out and start shooting missiles in melee?... the hoplites get WASTED. Elite or not, they will lose tons of people to peltasts throwing javelins in melee.

Oh wow, the uber elite (so uber elite they are a unit made of guys only in the front row of the phalanx, and so elite I can't even train them) get 1:1 kill:death against normal hoplites? Wrong. It's more like they kill 1 guy and lose three, and make it up by getting two routers.

Ok, granted, it's more like they kill one enemy, lose one spartan to the enemy, lose one spartan to friendly slingers and then kill a router. Because these are uber elite...

Don't even get me started on the Spartan Hoplites (which didn't exist at that time either) that seem helpless against horse of the general's bodyguard.

You've seen 5 battles. 1 assault stone walls, 4 assaults no walls.

Most of the battles are fought against wooden walls. Wow... actually there it gets even better, you can really see units being wiped out with 1:10 kill:death ratios and worse (I think I've seen like 12 kills:243 deaths)
    I was hoping for an explanation on how this style of play can be fun, I still do...
    It's fun for me when I am playing.

Obviously not fun for you when reading, because Agesipolis is cackling like a mad villain while watching his enemies be massacred. Machanidas is like "what the hell is this" and Pelops is just "*sigh* whatever works I guess".

I haven't even had the fun bit yet in the story where the Spartans at home try to figure out what is even going on...
    Last edited by Alavaria; April 11, 2014 at 12:46 PM.

Ok, I will not go further with this, because I do not want to spoil your fun, even if I still don't get what that is, maybe too much details from your part, details that do not offer a reasonable explanation for me. I truly hope that you are not really believing that so much slingers are absolutely necessary. You can win battles with Sparta without using any slingers or archers or even cavalry at all, I will attache a picture as an example, a battle against free greeks. I was thinking maybe you come with an explanation like this style of play is suitable for a blitzkrieg, so you don't need to retrain so much, or whatever other reasons....

Oh well, as long as you find pleasure in it, I guess is no crime to use a billion pseudo-hobbits Cheers mate!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Statistic.png  

What battle difficulty
    I was thinking maybe you come with an explanation like this style of play is suitable for a blitzkrieg, so you don't need to retrain so much, or whatever other reasons....
    It is. Additionally all the "kill experience" stacks up and up on units that rely only on their attack stat (the slingers).

It also allows you to get away with very cheap units. Levy Pikemen, Ekdromoi Hoplites and slingers. You can check how expensive the Perioikoi Phalangites and the Spartan Heavy Phalanx are in terms of upkeep.

I will admit that a lot of the hoplites especially tend to die. They're replaceable, though.

For blitz, this isn't a big deal on 0-turn actually. I could use the Metoikoi (heavy hoplites) with no issues, as Sparte can turn out lots of them. Ironically, I prefer to recruit locally for my fodder, and Ekdromoi are tier 1 unit. But yeah, they will suffer terrible losses. Actually the pikes do as well, but getting more elite pikes doesn't solve the problem, they will still die and not accomplish much more...

On my 1-turn Syracuse this is more of an issue, I can't actually pump out decent units, so that one somewhat relies on ranged attacks. Though human waves are always a possibility, they are not very satisfactory against heavy infantry like Romans, to be honest.

an explanation like this style of play is suitable for a blitzkrieg
    This style is basically fairly close to what is the "most efficient" as it relies on very heavy specialization. If you hang around until we get Pikes, it's a trio of very specialized roles: Holding Center (Anvil), Killing Enemy (Hammer) and Guards (these guys have to actually protect the hammer, which is not fast and mobile like horse, and will die to anything at all).

I will add that pikes for pinning and ranged units for killing are also very advantageous compared to other methods when you crank up the difficulty level, as these have some element of "melee AI units aren't stabbing with their Gladius of AI Bonus +8". At close ranges, slingers are just the best units you can use in these scenarios (nearly point blank, will be coddled by nearly EVERYTHING I can use). They lack range, they will die to almost anything, and neither of these is an issue because I specifically have methods to take care of these weaknesses. Just like how the enemy very rarely sees the side or back of my phalanx.

Unfortunately, the "chasing settlements" while the fastest, most efficient (you always have to take settlements anyway) and safest, does not lend itself to fancy large battles because... settlements. Oh and unwalled settlements don't lead to fancy battles, the AI units sort of trickle out and behave really stupidly as well, which is why you can just flank with slingers and not worry that every single horse unit will try to kill them.

Last edited by Alavaria; April 11, 2014 at 02:31 PM.

I think Agapios should do an AAR, and then Alavaria should post in his thread and tell him how he's doing it wrong. Slingers FTW.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Nothing wrong with playing RS2 without giving the AI massive bonuses via battle difficulty.

The biggest issue when using Very Hard on RTW, when fighting full stacks on the field, is holding all the enemies. Whatever you put in front for them to stab with Gladiuses of AI Bonus +8 will be mauled, it is only a matter of time. The current battle balancing gives light units the ability to survive for a decent amount of time (in earlier versions, they would die really really fast), but it actually doesn't suffice, still, which is why pikes are necessary.

Or avoiding large field battles, you can do that too, thankfully, though not always...
    Last edited by Alavaria; April 11, 2014 at 04:42 PM.

I was going to write a bit of story ("lore") about the Agesipolian Reforms that were taking place, but somehow I deleted a bunch of images that I was intending to use. So that'll be up later, and then a bit more story.

We will be taking on the feared Macedon!! Time to replace their hegemony with a Spartan one!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast