Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tsardoms Total War - FACTION PREVIEW: Roman Empire

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - FACTION PREVIEW: Roman Empire

Not many of the other guys are about atm, so if you would like to join the team, you might be better off PM'ing Wallachian or Vipman to gain a quicker answer.

Nice ideas btw

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Some of them are actually great. I personally am always for humouristic Easter eggs, if done well. Some dabbling with mythology/folklore (perhaps heroes not as high-ranked as Marko Kraleviti - there are many others as well, like Hrelyu Shestokrili etc) could be considered as well, though they should in any case be rare, IMHO.

P.S. In Bulgarian "no" is "ne" as well, so "Slavic" would be more accurate than "Serbo-Croatian".

Quote Originally Posted by Ajpav View Post
    Lol! Only a Greek would complain about that! ^^
    (Of course if the Slavs looked Greek - that'd be fine ) (j/k)

I'd love to see some Balkan humor - and would be willing to put in the work: perhaps some funny traits/ancillaries

-Trait: "Diplomatic Idiot": "This fool consistently forgets that "Yes" in Greek (Greek: 'ne') means "No" in Serbo-Croatian (Serbo-Croatian: 'ne') causing many misunderstandings". Influence -1

-Ancillary: All the local Booze: ouzo, raki, arak, loza, slivo... etc...

-Ancillary: Old Yia-yia/Baba/Baka (Means "Granny" in Greek/Slavic): "Baba said the draft would kill you, but you didn't listen, and left the window open". -1 Hitpoints

-Ancillary: Mujo and Hasa (Comedic Characters that are peasants and always manage to screw things up - like "Billy Bob Joe"/hicks/red necks): "Those idiots did it again!" -1 Command

-Ancillary: Turkish/Greek/Serbian Coffee: "The Turks are wrong! This is GREEK coffee!" (Same for all others) - then perhaps if your General gets to Northern Africa he gets an Ethiopian named Khaldi: "All of them are fools - I found it 1st!"

-Ancillary: Croatian Kolo Dancer: (Kolo dancing is the traditional folk dancing in a circle - everyone dances to the right, except for the Croatians who dance to the left) "We invented the Kolo, all those other guys stole it - and now dance the wrong way!

-Ancillary: Manuscript to an Old Balkan Song: "THIS SONG IS OURS!!" (a tip of the hat to the AMAZING documentary by Adela Peeva who travels across the Balkans looking for the origins to a very old tune - only to find out each group claims it as their own and viciously protects their rights to it lol)

-Ancillary: Baba Roga (Serb: Baba Roga, Bulg: Gorska Maika, Croat/Bosnian: Sumska Majka, Romanian: Muma Paurii) - a mythic old lady who comes from the forest/snow to take the children - used to scare kids to go to bed. -1 Fertility

-Ancillary: Engineer Abidaga: This amazing Engineer built the famous Bridge on the River Drina - However his shady deals make him prone to bribery - perhaps you shouldn't keep him around. +3 Construction -3 Bribery (A tip of the hat to Ivo Andric - this guy built the bridge but was recalled when it was found out that he was embezzling the money) [try to work out the trigger so that after x-turns he gets removed (recalled to Istanbul) and if he wasn't transferred to another family member - the general gets some type of trait that blacklists him with the Sultan.

What do you guys think?
    baba roga the balkan bougieman!! mujo and haso haha isnt it oftopic? there are jokes when mujo and hasotravle greace and order an turkish coffe

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

They have typical balkan peasant looks. Greek peasants didnt looked much differe than Bulgarian or Serbi. Nor arw Greek geneticly much different from Serbs or Bulgarians.

As far as the skin tone and hair, that alredy has been darkened. We wont do it more.

All Tsardoms units use Rusichi as a base. Thats way all our units even from different authors like me or Mattheus or Phoenx or VINC/Rus Bey have a same style. No way around that. Byzantine units themselves have been based on two principles

What there actualy was, that is what we actualy know
    and what-if elementa where Ottomans dont conquer Greeks and in this case indees we have looked at 15. century Russians as they had mixed western plate armors and lammelars and scale armors.

Simply late Byzantines and Russians did looked similar. A mixed equipment of western and eastern origin, as both were on eastern edges of Europe.
    Last edited by Hrobatos; June 02, 2015 at 07:29 AM.

I agree, I think the units look fine the way they are... or I shouldn't really say fine, they look great to me.
    Last edited by Ser Gareth; June 07, 2015 at 12:31 AM.

IVSTINIANVS I's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Gareth View Post
    I agree, I think the units look fine the way they are... or I shouldn't really say fine, they look great to me.
    Hardly! The peasants look 100% pure slav from northern Russia. In fact they honestly look more nordic or scandinavian than balkan now that I think about it. They seriously don't look remotely Greek. They really don't look bulgarian or serbian either. Look at the Greek peasant units in Roma Surrectum II. They look like the typical modern balkan Greek. Even the East of Rome team has BEAUTIFUL peasant models that look much much more balkan. Again the models definitely look more northern Russia than they do balkan and I am being totally honest.

IVSTINIANVS I's Avatar Miles

I mean this was only 500 years ago... modern Greeks and Greeks then should look pretty much the same. The turkish occupation has very little to do with the genetic makeup of Greece today, considering that intermarriage between christians and muslims were rare and when it did happen it almost always resulted in the offspring being muslim. And even then, most of the turks were just mixed descendants of turkified byzantine greeks. so really the modern greeks and the medieval greeks should look pretty close.

Dusan Silni's Avatar Tiro

Peasants dont matter in this game, it matters onlz the medium and hard(strong) units because everybody will play with them

I know what Greek people generally look like, and I think these models represent them fine. There's no need to freak out.

Quote Originally Posted by IVSTINIANVS I View Post
    I mean this was only 500 years ago... modern Greeks and Greeks then should look pretty much the same. The turkish occupation has very little to do with the genetic makeup of Greece today, considering that intermarriage between christians and muslims were rare and when it did happen it almost always resulted in the offspring being muslim. And even then, most of the turks were just mixed descendants of turkified byzantine greeks. so really the modern greeks and the medieval greeks should look pretty close.
    OFC etnic turks were a minority enen in little asia most turks of today have some lokal roots from "greeks" romans,armens,whoever lived there whe the turks conqured it that is clear due to the fact that turks are an asiatic people,the original turks looked most probably like todays kirgistans.

So - I made a few Balkan Ancillaries for y'all to use - and pm'd vipman - let me know if you'd like to use them. (and also how to email as attachments via pm - I'm still new to the forums - obviously)

In addition to the other ancs, I made a "Greek Coffee /Turkish Coffee / Serbian Coffee" set of ancs - with triggers, so that when lets say a Turk beats a Greek General with the "Greek Coffee Ancillary" he has a 25% chance of gaining an ancillary entitled: "Definitely Not Greek - Turkish Coffee" and vice versa for all the 3 factions - ought to bring a small chuckle at least.

I used 64x64 pixel size for my ancs - but would recommend using 82x82 as it works - and the increased size allows for greater resolution & larger/more complex images to be created.

...I'd be happy to put in the work - if y'all will recruit me...
    Last edited by Ajpav; June 10, 2015 at 02:23 AM.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

What is it that seems nordic about them?

Their cloth?
    Their blue hair?
    Their blonde eyes?
    Their milky white skin?

We did indeed used manny of Rusichi faces, since we arent making our own, and we wont be either.

This is by FAR the best byzantine unit rooster to this day

Great work and looks very well!
    Last edited by Miguel_80; April 27, 2016 at 11:45 AM.

excellent job!

Styl2000's Avatar Libertus

If the foul released mod is as good as the preview then stainless steel will have found its counter match.
    Just one question: were are the katafraktoi?

Miszel's Avatar Domesticus

The heaviest roman cavalrymen are dynatoi, they are our late kataphracts.

stainless steel is lame and low quality

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

It is fun though, submods help make it a little better.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Miszel View Post
    The heaviest roman cavalrymen are dynatoi, they are our late kataphracts.
    Yeah they are the cataphracts of this time but the heaviest Roman cavalry is Oikeioi (general's bodyguard). They're both similarly armoured, the difference is their mounts. Dynatoi use barded horses while the Oikeioi ride the proper old school cataphract horses. But they are both less skilled as western knights (one quality level below)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast