Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assign TEd Battle Map to a Region on the Campaign Map

Default Assign TEd Battle Map to a Region on the Campaign Map

I designed a new fief/city for Tokugawa faction using ted. I want to make it the default battle map on sengoku campaign, so that if my city was attacked/besieged, my ted map is the battle map instead of vanilla. can that be done? to make areas of the campaign have new battle maps from ted?

Frodo45127's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Assign TEd Battle Map to a Region on the Campaign Map

If is a castle, nop. If is a region, yes, but i need to remember how (too much time without trying). But, at least for me, the game combine the vanilla map wih the new map when I tried.

Well I assumed it could be done for castles since the author of the mod "Expanded Japan", (link at the end of post), created new cities and factions, those cities had to have their own battle map, otherwise they would not be playable. If there really isn't a way to make a castle/city battle map and use it in the campaign, then there goes half the reason to make a map in the first place. for me, who prefers campaigns over zero-reward custom battles, making a map holds no use unless it can be applied to campaign lol. but i suppose thats the way it goes i hope someone can figure it out and show me how i built a kick ass capital for tokugawa clan and named it Kaminotoshi, short for City of Gods! haha

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrithus View Post
    Well I assumed it could be done for castles since the author of the mod "Expanded Japan", (link at the end of post), created new cities and factions, those cities had to have their own battle map, otherwise they would not be playable. If there really isn't a way to make a castle/city battle map and use it in the campaign, then there goes half the reason to make a map in the first place. for me, who prefers campaigns over zero-reward custom battles, making a map holds no use unless it can be applied to campaign lol. but i suppose thats the way it goes i hope someone can figure it out and show me how i built a kick ass capital for tokugawa clan and named it Kaminotoshi, short for City of Gods! haha
    He add new cities to campaign map, not battlefield. You can change the battlefield related with a city but, for some reason, you cant use custom maps. If you try, the game load a default castle map.

I assume it would be in the startpos.esf somewhere. If you follow campaign_startpos>compressed_data>campaign_env>campaign_model>world>region_manager, there is an array of all the regions, controlling the starting buildings, owning faction, etc.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by proxyasian View Post
    I assume it would be in the startpos.esf somewhere. If you follow campaign_startpos>compressed_data>campaign_env>campaign_model>world>region_manager, there is an array of all the regions, controlling the starting buildings, owning faction, etc.
    The starpos only have the data of the campaign, not the relation between a level of a castle and his battlefield map. So no, it's not in the starpos. If you are interested, the file that controls what battlefield is in what place is called "template_map.xml" or something like that, and is in the campaign_map/your_campaign/ folder.

Ah, I see what you mean. The template_map.xml references a bunch of fort layouts, but you can only put them into the rotation, not assign them to a specific city.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by proxyasian View Post
    Ah, I see what you mean. The template_map.xml references a bunch of fort layouts, but you can only put them into the rotation, not assign them to a specific city.
    That file links a battlefield with a coordinates of the campaign map, so yes, you can assign a battlefield to a city if you know his coordinates, but only works with original maps. If you try to link a new map, a default map will be loaded.

So it could be done with the vanilla campaign map if you know the coordinates, but not something like the "Expanded Japan" map? Meaning IT'S coordinates are unobtainable? Interesting. Hmm, well poo. imagine if you could design a whole bunch of increditbale and unique battle maps for each city and it's different levels of development! haha that would take a monstrous amount of time but I bet it would get ALOT of attention in the community

Patrician

So it could be done with the vanilla campaign map if you know the coordinates, but not something like the "Expanded Japan" map? Meaning IT'S coordinates are unobtainable? Interesting. Hmm, well poo. imagine if you could design a whole bunch of increditbale and unique battle maps for each city and it's different levels of development! haha that would take a monstrous amount of time but I bet it would get ALOT of attention in the community
    Interesting no. I think you don't understand what I mean. Simply, you CAN'T CREATE UNIQUE BATTLEFIELDS FOR EACH CITY. Read again: "That file links a battlefield with a coordinates of the campaign map, so yes, you can assign a battlefield to a city if you know his coordinates (in the campaign map), but only works with original maps(battlefield maps). If you try to link a new (battlefield) map, a default (battlefield) map will be loaded.".
    Of course, expanded japan mod has his own coordinates, but they should be in his own template_map file (I suppose, I don't use that mod).

Ahh lol i see. yea i didnt understand before. I gotcha now my bad lol. Wait you're the creator of *Better Maps* aren't you!!? Dude you're the hero of me and a dozen of my friends lol. Totally went right over my head. You expanded the surround villages and buildings of the city castles. I'm still a novice to you, so I'd like to ask how you managed to do better maps. Isn't that similar to what i was thinking of? i know it might be tedious to explain lol, sorry. but that's how i learn Could you not do what you did with better maps in order to change the castle and battlefield of the siege itselft around a bit? that is exactly what i want in the first place, so maybe instead of replacing the vanilla like i suggested, i could edit the existing ones similar to what you did yes? all ive learned so far is only the use of TEd to create maps. That has taken quite a long time, a few months in fact. so i havent learned anything else..

Patrician

Yes, that is what i did in better maps, edit the original maps. If you are interested, they are just maps that you can edit in TEd. Extract them from the terrain.pack file (inside battleterrain/presets folder) and copy them to your map folder.

LordKainES's Avatar Ducenarius

I would collaborate to finish this mod... but disgracely my TED crashes when I try to save the maps... and no one seems to know why it happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo45127 View Post
    Yes, that is what i did in better maps, edit the original maps. If you are interested, they are just maps that you can edit in TEd. Extract them from the terrain.pack file (inside battleterrain/presets folder) and copy them to your map folder.
    awesome thanks! copy to map folder in ted directory yes?

damn forgot to ask, those are where your maps are, then the original maps are where in directory? couldnt find -_- but thanks you soo much!

I downloaded your better maps mod with steam. ive looked everywhere in shogun two file, both in program files/steam/steamapps/common/shogun 2 and i also looked in appdata/shogun 2 and I was only able to find 1 maps folder containing ted maps that i downloaded from steam, but your mod isnt there. its not in shogun 2 data folder either all it has is UI, Text, and Encyclopedia...

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by LordKainES View Post
    I would collaborate to finish this mod... but disgracely my TED crashes when I try to save the maps... and no one seems to know why it happens...
    Check cache. Maybe helps. TEd is like a beta program, so has a lot of bugs, specially since last update. Try editing a map instead of create a new one. Maybe works.
    damn forgot to ask, those are where your maps are, then the original maps are where in directory? couldnt find -_- but thanks you soo much!
    The original maps are in data folder of shogun 2, in "terrain.pack/battleterrain/presets/". You need PFM in order to extract those maps. After extract them, copy them to the TEd maps folder (is "C:\Users\Your user\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\maps", or something like this, depending of your pc).
    I downloaded your better maps mod with steam. ive looked everywhere in shogun two file, both in program files/steam/steamapps/common/shogun 2 and i also looked in appdata/shogun 2 and I was only able to find 1 maps folder containing ted maps that i downloaded from steam, but your mod isnt there. its not in shogun 2 data folder either all it has is UI, Text, and Encyclopedia...
    My mod is in data folder of shogun 2. They are two packs called "Better_Maps.pack" and "Better_Maps2.pack".

Check cache. Maybe helps. TEd is like a beta program, so has a lot of bugs, specially since last update. Try editing a map instead of create a new one. Maybe works.
    Thanks dude IŽll try!!! Gracias! :-)

IŽve tried to check the Cache and also editing the originals... but always I try to save, TED crashes... I canŽt understand why happens this to me... I have Windows 7 64 bits...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast