Thread: Scotland battle map CTD

Libertus

Default Scotland battle map CTD

Hello,

Let me begin by expressing my complements and sincere gratitude to the creators of this brilliantly conceived and well implemented modification. Along with HRR, it is my favorite mod for MTW2.That said, I have unfortunately been experiencing some problems while running this mod as of late and have come here to submit my plea for assistance before the collective wisdom of these boards.

My first and most vexing problem seems to be a systemic issue with this mod (v 1.7) based on comments I’ve encountered elsewhere on this forum and essentially causes a CTD whenever I attempt to initiate a battle against the Scotland faction. I believe this has something to do with a missing texture file, again based on my careful reading of the entirety of the technical support thread. I have likewise seen multiple references to an alleged “hotfix” for this particular dilemma but have been unsuccessful in actually finding a link with either a download or alternatively, a cogent explanation of how to remedy the issue.

My second problem occurs sporadically and involves a CTD while ending my turn as the Baron’s Alliance. This almost always happens in conjunction with the English taking their turn and I have always been successful in finding ways around this problem merely by changing some particular dynamic of the game prior to ending my turn. I think this particular issue may be indicative of a bad installation, though it does seem possible that it’s a problem traceable to a specific file due to its exclusive association with the English turn.

Thank you again for all of the effort and time it took to produce this outstanding modification and likewise thank you for diligently maintaining watch over these forums and competently assisting those who have experienced issues. I now ask that you kindly offer whatever advice or feedback you may have regarding my particular issues. Thank you for reading.

Default Re: Scotland battle map CTD

Hiya,

The link was in the main download thread, under the heading 'Scotland Hotfix'. Here's a link to it.

You then extract that file to this location: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Rule_Britannia\data\unit_models\_units\ln_lmail_hmail\textures - or wherever it it that your mod files are.

As for your crashes as the Baron's Alliance I'm not sure what it would be causing it. Have you tried turning on the setting to watch AI moves, disabled the fog of war and then letting the AI take their turns? If you do that you should be able to see which unit is causing the crash in England's turn. Alternatively if you upload your crash log here and then I'll have a look through and see if I can find the problem.

Hope this helps and enjoy the mod!

Libertus

Outstanding, thank you my friend! I appreciate your prompt and detailed reply as well as the link for the download of the file in question. I will implement your advice and place this file in the proper location later this evening. I’m guessing that I will probably have to restart my campaign for this to take effect however?

Regarding the random CTD’s associated with England’s turn, I have indeed attempted to monitor the AI activity via your recommended protocol before and it does seem as though their naval units tend to generally be the culprit, though I have no idea as to why.

Anyways, thanks for the very helpful reply sir and again, a tremendous thanks to you and your compatriots for producing this magnificent modification masterpiece!

I don't really know if it is save game compatible or not. I guess it's worth a shot, if it doesn't work you'll just have to start again anyway so there's nothing to lose in trying.

I don't actually have anything to do with this mod by the way, I just keep an eye on it as I quite like it and the creators have been absent for some time so I might as well help out where I can with stuff like this and reuploading etc.

Libertus

Well considering you're not even officially associated with this mod then I can say that your helpful assistance is even more valued and respected. Unfortunately that file didn't seem to have much of a discernable effect. Initially I was optimistic though, as the first battle I tried against the Scottish did work fine, but as soon as I followed that up with a second engagement, my old familiar CTD occurred yet again. The message from Windows was "Medieval 2 has encountered a problem and needs to shut down" or something to that effect. I copied my error log content and am pasting it below for your consideration. Any suggestions, sir?

19:52:13.532 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    19:52:13.532 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Aug 3 2007 version bld-medieval2-kingdoms-104 (45562) ===
    19:52:13.547 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    19:52:13.547 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    19:52:13.547 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    19:52:13.547 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    19:52:13.547 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    19:52:13.547 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    20:19:17.587 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Libertus

OK my friend, I think I've resolved the dilemma. After consulting the technical support thread once more I noticed other issues arising from Scotland’s use of the swordsmen militia unit. I made some adjustments to the descr_strat file and have since not encountered a single CTD despite having been engaged in a constant campaign of subjugation against the Scots for the past 3 hours. I've fought at least a dozen battles since and the game seems to be working fine now. Thanks again for your assistance and helpful guidance.

Well, glad I could help out a bit then.

If you want the log to actually say something useful by the way, you need to change the settings in the medieval2.Rule_Britannia.cfg file as below:

Code:
    [log]
    to = logs/RB.system.log.txt
    level = * error
    ;level = * trace
    ;level=*script* trace
    to this:

Code:
    [log]
    to = logs/RB.system.log.txt
    ;level = * error
    level = * trace
    ;level=*script* trace
    It's pretty much just changing it to be in trace mode rather than just error reporting so you'll end up with a rather larger crash log, but it should actually say what went wrong somewhere in it.

Libertus

Great, thanks for the information!

If we are just downloading v1.7 now, do i have to go an install the Scotland hotfix and change the cods as mentioned above to play properly?

Thanks

codes*

Quote Originally Posted by HouseArthus View Post
    If we are just downloading v1.7 now, do i have to go an install the Scotland hotfix and change the cods as mentioned above to play properly?

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure that you still need to download the Scotland Hotfix as I don't think that the main download link has been updated to include it at all. I posted with the location you need to extract it to in the Download Links thread, or it's in one of my posts above in this one.

As for the changes to the .cfg file, that's just to change your crash logs so that they show more details of what went wrong when your game crashes. It's useful to have it set to trace rather than error mode as then someone here can help you out more if needed. It won't effect the actual gameplay or anything though.