Thread: [Question] towards the DeI modding team: Have you been playing Rome I - Roma Surrectum II?

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

Default [Question] towards the DeI modding team: Have you been playing Rome I - Roma Surrectum II?

It's probably a silly question, but I've been playing this mod so intensively, because of its extreme depth that I just needed to ask if you guys have been playing it as well. There are a lot of historical texts, informations, scripts, game mechanics, units etc. etc. etc. that might inspire you or be useful to be recycled into Rome II and DeI.

Link: TWC Roma Surrectum II

Personal Highlights:
    - Scripted Campaign (e.g. 2 Civil Wars)
    - Diplomacy Mechanics (e.g. take over settlements, build and tech them up and once reaching a certain high end level you need to decide if you turn those conquered provinces into a client states or give them full "roman citizenship"-rights which affects your entire relation to those provinces, changes recruitment, buildings available and how happy and loyal they are towards your reign.)
    - Recruitment Mechanics Part I (Prerequisites / Logistics) (e.g. to be able to recruit Post-Marian Units you need the research the Marian Reforms by building a certain political building in Syracuse (where the reforms were implemented I guess) BUT to actually recruit those Post Marian Legionaries you needed streets, certain resources, food supply buildings and weapon supply buildings. There were complete logistics and prerequisites to be made in every province before you could start to recruit legionaries.)
    - Recruitment Mechanics Part II (Diversity / Auxiliary Units): There were so many historical accurate units, the auxiliary system was fantastic, mercenary units were great.
    - Recruitment Mechanics Part III (Population): Units were recruited from population. Recruiting too many units in a small region could cause the region to die economically from taking away too many men. Those provinces would only slowly regain their population if depleted on high level. Therefore you will be very careful if to send men into a battle where you might use a couple of units! Because replenishment of those will take population away and therefore lower your growth and economy income.
    - Historical Characters / General (e.g. Historical accurate personalities, the roman campaign begins with the epic (full stack battle) vs Hannibal itself!)
    - Trait System: So many and so interesting traits!!! Also generals and commanders will be given roman medals such as curonas etc. depending on their success after combat!
    Much other stuff. Those are just a few examples of how deep this game was.

Default Re: [Question] towards the DeI modding team: Have you been playing Rome I - Roma Surrectum II?

Quote Originally Posted by alecwermuth View Post
    - Recruitment Mechanics Part II (Diversity / Auxiliary Units): There were so many historical accurate units, the auxiliary system was fantastic, mercenary units were great.
    only to be limited by rtw's hardcoded 500 unit cap...

Sigmagnat's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: [Question] towards the DeI modding team: Have you been playing Rome I - Roma Surrectum II?

Quote Originally Posted by sadlogic View Post
    only to be limited by rtw's hardcoded 500 unit cap...
    Is that seriously a thing?!

yes (we are talking about rome 1 here mind you)

We are fairly heavily influenced by Rome 1 mods like RS and EB. However, there are some limitations in terms of what we can do in the Rome 2 engine.

Eventually we hope to have a mod experience like those great mods of old. You have to remember, though, some of those mods took years.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    We are fairly heavily influenced by Rome 1 mods like RS and EB. However, there are some limitations in terms of what we can do in the Rome 2 engine.

Eventually we hope to have a mod experience like those great mods of old. You have to remember, though, some of those mods took years.
    You are so right, Roma Surrectum was an extreme workload / research / scripting / modding over the years. If I remember it correctly Rome Surrectum II got released in 2010!!! and its latest patch (2.5) got released in 2012. I even think there is a new desperation patch 2.6 for people disappointed by Rome II I can confirm Patch 2.6's existence (played it yesterday), but I can't confirm if its true that it was made because of Rome II's disappointment.

However looking at the battles and graphics, Rome I has no chance against Rome II, but I just wanted to make sure you guys know about this mod (which I knew would be a silly question, as it seems you know it very well) as the buildings, texts, units, recruitment mechanics (one of the premier highlights in RSII) and the historical research have been done before.

Thanks for replying and also many thanks for your efforts to continue the legacy of such great mods. If I can help with something, let me know. I can't really mod (just about to begin to learn how to balance units) with the new tools, but what I can is test, compare and give feedback.

Cheers

2.6 was in the works as soon as 2.5 was released, just like 2.7 is in the works already, its a steady worklow, as dvk never runs out of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by sadlogic View Post
    2.6 was in the works as soon as 2.5 was released, just like 2.7 is in the works already, its a steady worklow, as dvk never runs out of ideas
    He is still active? Cool! Maybe one day he will decide to work on Rome II as well (actually once CA finally accomplishes to finish this game hehe)

Working on my own mod which involves simple changes to varientmeshes and a few colour retextures made me realise how much work you guys have put into this! I am amazed buy the quality work they have done so far! Just like playing EB and RSII. At least CA did not make this game have such cartoony colours like Rome 1. Only good thing they did...