Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famous Generals in WWI

Default Famous Generals in WWI

I liked how in Napoleon the major countries had great historical generals that would not die but rather be wounded and return to the capital. Each of the major powers in WWI had a general that could be given this attribute. Here's a list of the ones I think would be the best.

UK: Douglas Haig
    France: Ferdinand Foch
    Germany: Erich Ludendorff
    Russia: Alexei Brusilov or even Tsar Nicholas
    Italy: Luigi Cadorna
    Austria-Hungary: Conrad von Hotzendorf
    Ottoman Empire: Mustafa Kemal (aka Ataturk)
    Belgium: King Albert I
    U.S.A: John J. Pershing (custom battles)
    Last edited by CanadianReject; February 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Re: Famous Generals in WWI

The team decided not to do this, its very hard to say that these generals could survive some of the battle in this mod. You will see all of those and over 150 more historic generals more popping up in the campaign though.

If you want however you can make a submod .

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedge Knight View Post
    The team decided not to do this, its very hard to say that these generals could survive some of the battle in this mod. You will see all of those and over 150 more historic generals more popping up in the campaign though.

If you want however you can make a submod .
    I don't really see how generals not surviving is a problem. Just like in vanilla, they could just be wounded instead of killed.

RNV's Avatar Campidoctor
    Regio Septima, Tuscia, Italia, Res Publica Romana

Well I think the problem is that usually ( at least for me) when I lose my general is because of artillery... a 105mm shell hit is not something you can heal...
    "There is no ugly woman, there is only too few Vodka" - Oleg Pouzanov (ex Soviet fencing team coach)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianReject View Post
    I don't really see how generals not surviving is a problem. Just like in vanilla, they could just be wounded instead of killed.
    I agree with this.
    ------ An American Civil War Modification for Total War : Shogun 2 ------

Quote Originally Posted by Murat ÖZCAN View Post
    I agree with this.
    Really? I modded my Napoleon to change "wounded" to "killed". Do you think that Napoleon could survive a cannonball going straight through him? He did in my British campaign. One of my cavalrymen then "wounded" him again, only for him to appear once more before we finally conquered France! Players who can't protect their generals don't deserve to have them immortal; they shouldn't die anyway.
    A message to CA:

Either care about history or improve modding support.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr Vasilyevich Suvorov View Post
    Really? I modded my Napoleon to change "wounded" to "killed". Do you think that Napoleon could survive a cannonball going straight through him? He did in my British campaign. One of my cavalrymen then "wounded" him again, only for him to appear once more before we finally conquered France! Players who can't protect their generals don't deserve to have them immortal; they shouldn't die anyway.
    Sometimes you can't help it. And it's not really a matter of anyone deserving anything, it's a matter of these are the most famous generals of the war and they survived the war so let's add a bit more historical accuracy to it.

There is no limit of realism... How can Napoleon stay one part after a cannonball shot? At least,if someone makes a submod,he should make this and put in his submod.
    ------ An American Civil War Modification for Total War : Shogun 2 ------

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Hundreds of generals died in ww1 unlike ww2, so it would be odd to have some be immortal. But i get why you would want that feature, mostly so AI nations wont lose those generals as the Ai isnt as careful with them as human players are.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Hundreds of generals died in ww1 unlike ww2, so it would be odd to have some be immortal. But i get why you would want that feature, mostly so AI nations wont lose those generals as the AI isn't as careful with them as human players are.
    Not to mention the minor nations could have a fighting chance with a good general in the beginning. I understand balancing isn't truly important for nations like Serbia and Sweden because those are the harder nations to use and it's a test of skill to use them. But with their weak economies being mostly devoted to troop recruitment (especially in your mini mod that makes it far easier due to lowered upkeep), a general isn't going to be a top priority to shell out 1700 dollars when you could buy five or six conscript units for that. And five or six conscripts spread out in light infantry formation is fairly effective. So really what I'm trying to say is, it would be cool to have Haig and Foch and Ludendorff be immortal in a way, but the better reason is so that the minor factions have more of a fighting chance. Especially considering I have a glitch where I can't attack a city directly without a general.

Sometimes you can't help it. And it's not really a matter of anyone deserving anything, it's a matter of these are the most famous generals of the war and they survived the war so let's add a bit more historical accuracy to it.
    Generals surviving a direct hit from a howitzer shell is obviously accurate... A historical outcome should not be engineered at the expense of common sense.
    A message to CA:

Generals surviving a direct hit from a howitzer shell is obviously accurate... A historical outcome should not be engineered at the expense of common sense.
    OK come on. The artillery can fire across the entire map. That's not really fair to lose your best generals permanently because they were hit by a weapon that the game itself has decided is the most powerful thing ever.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

OK come on. The artillery can fire across the entire map. That's not really fair to lose your best generals permanently because they were hit by a weapon that the game itself has decided is the most powerful thing ever.
    This really would be a great submod, if you could compile a list of Generals that the minor powers would use it may help to convince some one to assist in making this a submod.

Also the issues with auto resolve may have been completely fixed because King Sama is awesome We havent fully tested them yet but the early results look very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    This really would be a great submod, if you could compile a list of Generals that the minor powers would use it may help to convince some one to assist in making this a submod.

Also the issues with auto resolve may have been completely fixed because King Sama is awesome We havent fully tested them yet but the early results look very promising.
    I don't have any modding ability. I'm pretty new to PC gaming entirely.

I'd say this feature needs to be implemented for the AI, but not for the player. This is because the player can always make it so his general (and I don't see how artillery is such a big deal) survives in the end. The AI on the other hand, does not have this capability. It would be fair and balanced if generals belonging to AI factions would have this "resurrect" script, because they're too prone to lose their best (and most famous) generals. It would also make it more likely for the player to square off against a historical "celebrity", who otherwise would have likely perished at the beginning of the campaign.

Artillery was the number 1 killer in World War 1, and heavier pieces could fire from far behind the lines. So, yes, it was the most powerful thing ever. I fixed my Darthmod Napoleon not to have pop-guns for artillery, and I do not want to see the artillery here turn to pop-guns either. The only problem is reload speeds and accuracy for larger pieces, and these can be fixed by submodding.

78 British and 70 German generals perished during the war.
    A message to CA:

Artillery was the number 1 killer in World War 1, and heavier pieces could fire from far behind the lines. So, yes, it was the most powerful thing ever. I fixed my Darthmod Napoleon not to have pop-guns for artillery, and I do not want to see the artillery here turn to pop-guns either. The only problem is reload speeds and accuracy for larger pieces, and these can be fixed by submodding.

78 British and 70 German generals perished during the war.
    No, rail guns were the most powerful thing ever. By your logic, swords are more powerful than the atom bomb. It's not kill count historically which you seem to be stuck on, it's the fact that artillery ruins the balance of power bar. I've had entire enemy armies route because the balance of power went from the middle to completely in my favour because I destroyed their guns. I took both Berlin AND Vienna like this. And I think Istanbul too. Same general all three times. It doesn't matter how many men died in the war really, it's a game. It's also never going to be completely historically accurate because battles were not two armies meeting on an open field like it is in the mod. Fun should be the main aim with historical accuracy taking a side line. Artillery in this mod makes it almost impossible to keep you general alive sometimes because it can fire anywhere on the map.

No, rail guns were the most powerful thing ever. By your logic, swords are more powerful than the atom bomb. It's not kill count historically which you seem to be stuck on, it's the fact that artillery ruins the balance of power bar. I've had entire enemy armies route because the balance of power went from the middle to completely in my favour because I destroyed their guns. I took both Berlin AND Vienna like this. And I think Istanbul too. Same general all three times. It doesn't matter how many men died in the war really, it's a game. It's also never going to be completely historically accurate because battles were not two armies meeting on an open field like it is in the mod. Fun should be the main aim with historical accuracy taking a side line. Artillery in this mod makes it almost impossible to keep you general alive sometimes because it can fire anywhere on the map.
    If you were a World War 1 soldier, wouldn't you flee if the enemy had heavy artillery and you didn't? Heavy guns were usually far behind the lines. If those have been captured, the battle is usually over.

Swords are not more powerful than the atom bomb, but there were no atom bombs or railguns in World War 1. The first railgun was 1944, and the first atom bomb 1945. At this time, heavy artillery was the King of Death. The only thing that needs changing is its value in auto-resolves. Even a Napoleonic cannon could fire across most of the map in Napoleon Total War.
    A message to CA:

Sorry to wade in, but the first railway gun was not in 1944. The first 'proper' railway guns were around by 1916 of WWI, though it had been around as an idea since the 1860s. And it was a form of heavy artillery, being former naval guns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_gun , although I suspect I've misinterpreted what you've said, and am sorry if I have.
    As to the main topic, I would REALLY love for this idea to be implemented, though I understand the people saying 'it's not realistic'. However, you have to remember that all of the major generals listed above (as far as I know), survived the war, therefore having them survive in game is not really defying realism. As really, the general in game could represent the Field commander appointed by the General, whereas he sits comfortably 20 miles or so behind the line (Oh Dougy). So if they're killed in the battle, it would still make sense that the 'important' general survives, and would actually likely return to the capital to give a report of something, like the convalesced message in game.

If you were a World War 1 soldier, wouldn't you flee if the enemy had heavy artillery and you didn't? Heavy guns were usually far behind the lines. If those have been captured, the battle is usually over.

Swords are not more powerful than the atom bomb, but there were no atom bombs or railguns in World War 1. The first railgun was 1944, and the first atom bomb 1945. At this time, heavy artillery was the King of Death. The only thing that needs changing is its value in auto-resolves. Even a Napoleonic cannon could fire across most of the map in Napoleon Total War.
    I said by YOUR logic swords are more deadly than the atom bomb because they killed more people historically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast