there are although campaigns with walls
    add walls in file descr_strat.txt: example
    building
    {
    type defenses stone_wall
    }

please read tutorials

@straticus
    its done with purpose to make the game more challenging: many pirates and difficult economy.
    play H/H

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Default Re: BBW 8.0 Feedback and Suggestions

So repman i continue from the bugs/tech issues thread.
    ...Played the mod more thoroughly - awesome trully in every aspect -best graphics off all mods in unit/sky section-ground-grass in truth a sight to behold
    - ai behaves awesomely -trully many mods claim and in some extent they do act as supposed but i cannot explain why in this mod (which uses parts of other mods) the ai behaves so much better! There is no case still when the ai didn't try to flank me yet.
    I found out also that there are secondary weapons but for the phalanx formations only -correct -hoplites are spearmen and phalanxes more like pikemen so they need the sword more ok no issues here but i would prefer (like eg darthmod) that some spearmen units get a secondary sword like triarii or armoured/standard hoplites.
    Moreover i have the following suggestion: Since you have made walls so special and so expensive which is very fine and accurate why don't u make them
    TRULLY special??. I explain: In many movies (as awesome this mod is) sieges last loooong So why don't you make them walls (stone class and above) much more hardy?? I didn't like the fact you pay so much for a stone wall which behaves more or less like the vanilla one in the aspect that still you can get sieged for a few turns and surrender much like a wooden one so plz if you could bolster the siege turns in cities having walls. Also you could probably make sieges much more epic by making the gates harder to damage with rams and tone down a lot the machine-gun arrow towers effectively making sieges last much-much longer with archers around them firing (they need more ammo for this and probably less damage rating or maybe not) and actually the only easy way to take a stone class and above wall accessible only by storming it with ladders and towers much like in real life !!! In everycase you probably have noticed that the ai until its siege towers or rams get to the wall / gate they stay within turret-arrow tower and get tottaly beaten - so this would help the ai too! Last night during a siege a full stack of romans got 50 % losses until they reached my 500 troops in the central plaza in guard mode..and got slaughtered...
    So plz think of it all and also think that no other mod has implemented anything like this before... archers arround the walls shooting - while a full five minutes or more of ram battering the gate to breach it with very slow but steady losses from defender towers & archers shooting the units ramming! Many men perish trying to smash the gatea nd finally the only solution to breach the impregnable fort using ladders! And admit it who uses ladders ... or is it realistic to break down the gates of an epic stone wall so fast??? is it?? In lord of the rings the forces of mordor brought a huge ram carried by huge trolls only to break the gates and after some serious efforts. The only exception would be catapults something which is accurate but in that case also the walls should be much more stronger so that concetrated fire makes more sense - and no field battle problems like say a normal stone wall should have the strength of the epic one and epic one should have epic strength :tooth: Eitherway stone walls and above ,if not only, are trully rare on the map so why not rare epic sieges?
    plz think of it all - i think this mod should be more special in some aspects because its already special ! (and if you could tell me the files to mod i would beta test this feature gladly!- i got confused with the additional files in bi folder so export_descr_buildings file values did nothing....novice here )

By the way i have started already by myself fixing the few unit descriptions that are faulty so if u dont object u can pm with details on what to take care of and correct this minor flaw.
    Also my music mod is complete and works with your mod(and others too) so if u agree tell me a way to upload it - i just can't decide on a minor feature (the music retrigger should it be
    20 secs or 0 ? its just a personal preference for everyone)! pm me for that too!

with respect_the impereceptor of bane (soon to be cyricist)
    Last edited by Imperceptor of Bane; October 11, 2006 at 09:22 AM.
    There can be no peace while the Emperor's enemies still draw breath

@imperceptor
    thanks for the praise and ideas
    i will reduce the fire rate of the wall towers in 8.1
    i don't like the epic stone walls, so they are very expansive and nearly never built by the AI
    I'm looking for a volunteer for the english unit text descriptions so if you raise your hand feel free to overwork the file...?

What is a cyricist ?

repman

Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

@cherryfunk
    there are although campaigns with walls
    add walls in file descr_strat.txt: example
    Any chance you could do an 'add walls' patch for those of us who like them? Sieges were a huge factor historically and I have a hard time playing a mod that won't let me build walls in my frontier cities. Is there a gameplay reason that you prefer no walls?

I'm looking for a volunteer for the english unit text descriptions so if you raise your hand feel free to overwork the file...?
    I've got alot of experience editing, I'd be happy to help. Send me anything you like and I'll polish it for you until it shines.

Quote Originally Posted by repman
    @imperceptor
    thanks for the praise and ideas
    i will reduce the fire rate of the wall towers in 8.1
    i don't like the epic stone walls, so they are very expansive and nearly never built by the AI

What is a cyricist ?

repman
    1.No praise really - its this only rtw mod still in my hard disk man its units are awesome.
    2. Yes do reduce the fire rate to almost a zero but make them gates - too hard to batter down and increase wall hit point by a respectable amount. Bring [B]-[B]urning oil back so a human player foregoes going the easy way knowing that 2 or more units might be killed trying to smash the gates open and this makes the use of archer & ladders and even more onagers a must in the rare event a stone fort exists and is sieged also towers can be removed ... oh and plz do not remove the epic flavor! Its just like building a wonder for your civilization just increase more its cost hehe - in hard the ai does build walls but many turns must pass and only large faction do it (found out last night) and this is accurate .
    About the file if its ok with cherryfunk we can work together - he can polish the text and i can do the research on additional info on units that are described with few words or on addons in existing ones because of the fact that he may know better english than me.
    Anyway let us know of the timeline because i'm already heavy on duty building a network domain forest..

[PS] Bane is[was] a dark god in the tabletop RPG fantasy campaign world ''forgotten realms'' soon due to be overthrowed by its even darker successor god Cyric - Lord of Strife and i'm cleric class priest in this game ...only.. :tooth:

ps2 Hey repman have u noticed that greek peltast do no fire in towns? I mean they do the animation of firing their javelin but actually no missile gets flying.

ps3 What about my music mod? Its rather large (600mb+) but it rocks - its got all music from all mods and even more!
    There can be no peace while the Emperor's enemies still draw breath

About the file if its ok with cherryfunk we can work together - he can polish the text and i can do the research on additional info on units that are described with few words or on addons in existing ones because of the fact that he may know better english than me.
    Sure thing Imperceptor, I'm happy to help, email any text you want checked to iceblink42@yahoo.com

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Imperceptor of Bane
    ps3 What about my music mod? Its rather large (600mb+) but it rocks - its got all music from all mods and even more!
    You should host it somewhere for download

Gavmundo's Avatar Senator
    Morecambe, UK ... in the realms of the North!

I downloaded this mod at weekend. I'd never been to keen on it as I knew it basically used the Vanilla positions which meant the 3 Roman factions. After having played unified Rome mods for ... well a long time I wasn't sure about going back to factions. Course I didn't realise there were additional campaigns with unified Rome etc....

I decided to try going back to the old Roman factions game as Julii and am loving it! Only had one problem and that wasn't a bug but my own fault. I moved an 8 star general with a very experienced army to take Sparta but a large Greek Army appeared as I neared the city and decided discretion was the better part of valour and to retreat so I wouldn't have to fight the garrision as well as this army .... my army was immediately destroyed and the general killed! I assume this was because I didn't have a path to retreat without being in the enemy zone of control!? Never experienced that before but wasn't having that! It's an EIGHT STAR GENERAL and 90% of my veteran troops! So went to load the autosave ... forgetting that It was the end of the turn so the game had been saved after the army was wiped out!! ARGHHH! So had to take the defeat and am slowly rebuilding my army but it all adds to the game experience I suppose

One thing I noticed though was the huge price of fortifications! A basic wooden wall costs close to 20k. It takes me ages to make that sort of cash so this means no extra defences. I like the idea of making walls expensive so the player can't quickly create many heavily fortified cities but it does seems a little OTT. I'm lucky if i make a couple of thousand a turn and this goes into improving the settlements economy. There's no way i can afford to upgrade any of my city walls and can't see anyway to do so even into the far future which is a little annoying.

Oh yea I also like the use of many pirate navies. Its the first game I've played when where its been a real struggle to keep my navy afloat. In all previous mods its been very easy to take control of the seas from an early stage. Now it's a constant fight.

I also like the use of historical information each turn via the advisor. You can gauge how far ahead of Historical Rome you are (assuming you're a roman faction of course).

Great mod. Great fun! Very interesting, full of information, looks great, love the skies, battles have actually been tough instead of complete walkovers, very atmospheric. Well done!
    Last edited by Gavmundo; October 18, 2006 at 05:48 AM.

Someone can tell me which campain work better? I dont know how start. maybe bare bones map have less bugs?

@fabiocorr
    better,...it depends what you want
    look in the graphics thread for more information regarding maps

repman

So went to load the autosave ... forgetting that It was the end of the turn so the game had been saved after the army was wiped out!! ARGHHH!
    If you get into the habit of quick-saving just before ending every turn, you can avoid this kind fo thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk
    If you get into the habit of quick-saving just before ending every turn, you can avoid this kind fo thing.
    Well its never been a problem before. You don't expect to lose battles too often lol.

Quote Originally Posted by repman
    @................
    don't understand you post exactly
    there is a vanilla bug of hand weapons sometimes disappearing

repman

um... i meant like wen they die their weapons dissapear instead of like in reality that its still there i hope i said it better this time

edit:uhh.... is it hard coded? can someone tell me?
    Last edited by ...; October 20, 2006 at 09:50 AM.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

repman. first off, great mod. A minor complaint is the general blah to the roman skins (I've been playing Res Gestae, but due to its unofficial death, I only had to experience the roman skins, which blew me away). Could you possibly include the Res Gestae Romans in the next patch?

Default Re: BBW 8.1 Feedback and Suggestions

Repman,

Good mod, I just have one question. Is there a way to make
    the unit costs in their home territory and foreign territory the same
    as the 7.0 version of your mod?

@tigercat
    copy the old script file script_4tpy_dates.txt from BBW 8.0 into BBW 8.1
    path data\scripts\show_me

repman

Just downloaded 8.1. Was really enjoying my Julii campaign but couldn't resist 8.1 so will start again with that. I checked out the preview on 8.1 but have to admit I can't quite understand what this leadership system is? I had a look at the screenshots but don't understand how this works in the game? It mentions getting a general promoted and he has to leave the army then go back in a couple of turns? How does this work? Are you told when your general is promoted?

@gavmundo
    here is the thread with information about the leadership system:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50109

repman

Quote Originally Posted by Gavmundo
    Just downloaded 8.1. Was really enjoying my Julii campaign but couldn't resist 8.1 so will start again with that. I checked out the preview on 8.1 but have to admit I can't quite understand what this leadership system is? I had a look at the screenshots but don't understand how this works in the game? It mentions getting a general promoted and he has to leave the army then go back in a couple of turns? How does this work? Are you told when your general is promoted?
    Gavmundo, I was wondering the same thing last night. Thanks for
    the thread link Repman.

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERCAT
    Gavmundo, I was wondering the same thing last night. Thanks for
    the thread link Repman.

Yea I had a look at the link and it looks very interesting

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast