Thread: Auxilia

Default Auxilia

Why can't I recruit auxilia units in italy after the reforms? Having to ship skirmishers from Iberia to complete my legion that was formed in Italy is kinda strange to me.

Default Re: Auxilia

Just to be clear, I know I can change this in export_descr_buildings but I want to know the gameplay or historical reason for this

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

i'm not too familiar with the game post reforms, but i expect its done to resemble roman citizenship. Only roman citizens could join the legions, which wasn't availiable to everyone in the empire (republic) people who weren't citizens would join the auxillia. so i guess in pure game terms that legion cities have citizenship, so those cities recruit legions, while other cities have auxillia.

Keep in mind that almost ALL auxillia was recruited from other non Italian cultures. Syrian Archers, Barbarian Alae, etc. So you couldn't get certain units made in Italy, Roman Legions were basically just heavy infantry with Alae attached to them.

Early Empire 70-80% of Legions were Italians, later in the Empire the Legions were not longer composed of Italians and were more foreign, but for ingame purposes this adds logistical challenges.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

It sure is a challenge. Thanks for the answer, guys