Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why is Shogun 2 prettier than Rome 2 on ultra settings?

Sun Jetzu's Avatar Vicarius

Default Why is Shogun 2 prettier than Rome 2 on ultra settings?

Does anyone know the reason why? From a technical point of view maybe.
    I just feel like Shogun 2 is so vibrant, clean, crisp and alive in higher settings.
    Rome 2 I find dull, less vibrant, less fluid, on higher settings than shogun 2.
    I still think rome 2 is beautiful to look at. But it seems less beautiful to look at then shogun 2 on higher settings.
    Just a question
    Thanks for the answer in advance, I know someone here should have some theories
    One Punch Man Series VS My Hero Academia Series - Who's Better?

Default Re: Why is Shogun 2 prettier than Rome 2 on ultra settings?

I agree.

Then again... Every single thing about Shogun 2 is better...

The sieges... The AI... The variety of units...

Its all in your head. Rome 2 is visually pretty good. Once you get the hate out you'll see it. And this is coming from someone who hates almost everything about rome 2. Graphics aren't even on my list.

Hmm actually you're not the only one that thinks this. I always felt like Shogun 2 looked nicer and cleaner. I get that Rome 2 was going for a grittier, dirtier feel (soldiers come into battle with dirt and dented shields before fighting haha), but textures seem... muddier? than Shogun. Idk.

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

It was those reflections - they made every man look interesting, but also a bit like he was covered in grease.
    Plus contrast between men and land was much higher
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

In terms of graphics and stylistic output, it's Shogun 2 for me. It's simply amazing. Rome 2 may be on its way, but it has a long way to go. To tell the truth, I'm just begining to see good Rome 2 graphics.

TWC is still broken down... I can't upload any images... Well, whatever! Here you go, see for yourselves ETW, Shogun 2, and Rome 2 maxed out on my computer.

http://imageshack.com/a/img15/4272/yb6g.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img38/3713/jwid.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img22/156/owgg.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img841/5343/kwrd.jpg

Maybe not entirely what you meant, but I see the battles most of the time from above, and when looking from above I think R2 looks worse than previous games. I think it's mainly because all (campaign) battlemaps are dull, bald, empty, be it in north africa or northern europe, it's the same everywhere. Often it's a brown/greenish plain with few hills (which are often too steep) and 5 trees scattered over a square kilometer. I prefer the battlemaps of Shogun 2.

I was very impressed with the battle map from the historical battle between US/GB in the demo of ETW, it was beautiful and had strategical options. There was a small river that could be crossed at several places, there were hills, a farmhouse, a small forest, some farming fields. I loved that, I expected all battles to look something like that. Guess I was too naive back then

I don't have Shogun 2, but it looks amazing from the pictures I've seen, and it does seems more crisp than Rome 2. I think it's in part due to equipment in Rome 2 having a worn appearance, and also if I'm not mistaken Rome 2 doesn't have proper AA support yet. However I definitely prefer Rome 2's campaign map. The Shogun 2 map is just too dark and desaturated from what I've seen. Rome 2's map has lots of variance in colour and lighting, with the bright and welcoming sun of the Mediterranean, and the colder, darker atmosphere of Gaul that makes venturing there more intimidating. It might not be particularly accurate, but it sure looks great.

If you're trying to defend Rome Total War 2's graphics then wow... Just wow...

Med 2 had better graphics...

Rome 2 is not well polished, but the real problem of this game is the serious lack of features, no family three and speeches makes me wonder what CA was thinking

Lionheartx10's Avatar Youtube Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post

I must be playing a different game to you then. Rome 2's graphics are better than M2TW's.
    “To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.”

http://www.youtube.com/user/lionheartx10

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post

Maybe Rome II would look better than Medieval II if you replaced the toaster you have for a GPU.

I agree that this game has a loooooot of problems, but saying Medieval II looks better is just plain stupid.

Errabundi's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Hellscythe View Post
    Rome 2 is not well polished, but the real problem of this game is the serious lack of features, no family three and speeches makes me wonder what CA was thinking
    Actually there are generals' speeches in Rome 2 and they're pretty good! Just after you hit START BATTLE button go to your general unit and zoom as close as possible to hear it well. Enjoy
    So finally I bought Total War: Rome 2. Regarding I payed 7.5$ for it, it's not a bad game at all!

Play Rome 2 with some of the graphics mods like GEM and Aztecs mod. Rome 2 certainly has the wow effect. For Rome 2 to shine you need a powerful PC.

alkis6's Avatar Civis

Grass and trees are way better in Rome2. The terrain though is better in Shogun2.

I personally have no idea about technical issues in PC games,but I asked my cousin(who works professionally on PCs and knows much about them obviously) why Shogun 2 has better graphics than Rome 2 and he told me that the answer is horrible optimization.Technically Rome 2 has better graphics,but they look so much worse compared to Shogun 2's graphics because of horrible optimization.I have no reason or knowledge to doubt his word,so...

I dont think its technical though. Rome 2 may have better graphics but the style of Shogun 2 is much better, namely Shogun 2 has a particular Medieval Japan style in everything from unit cards, buildings, abilities, hell even formations which makes you more immersed and is visually much more pleasing. Even the blood and gore are stylised to emulate old Samurai movies.
    Rome 2 on the other hand has that modern minimalistic UI, single coloured unit and building cards, "gritty, more realistic" style to units which I think kinda backfired when animations and bugs come into play , putting them in the uncanny valley imo.

Its why Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time looks so much better than Warrior Within or The Two Thrones, if anyone played them recently it would know which one is still gorgeous and which ones look aged.

Look up Extra Credits Graphics vs Aesthetics if you want it explained by industry professionals.

If Rome 2 was of an engine like RTW, and not like ETW, we would be making a different kind of fuss.

I think it boils down to optimisation. It seems that some people can get utterly amazing graphics, and then there are those of us who have exerything maxed out and it still looks poor. Unfortunately I fall into the latter category - played it recently and honestly, the graphics were like M2TW in terms of textures etc. Chainmail didn't look like metal, looked like thick grey leather armour.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast