Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Love Roma Surrectum Campaign but Battles takes way to long - Any fixes ?

Default Re: Love Roma Surrectum Campaign but Battles takes way to long - Any fixes ?

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Gamey, very gamey - might as well play Vanilla. In all honesty, if you want faster battles and a more absorbing Campaign (in terms of variety, etc) - then Rome2 is probably the best thing.

The battles in RSII are the/can be the closest to reality that I've seen - if you let them.
    Care to elaborate?

I get that some tactics might seem "gamey" either because they take advantage of some flaw in the game engine or a mod design, but flanking your enemy and striking from the rear seems like a fairly effective battle plan to me. After all, I don't play to purposely lose.

Default Re: Love Roma Surrectum Campaign but Battles takes way to long - Any fixes ?

Quote Originally Posted by the man, the myth, the legend View Post
    So does vh\vh make it easier or too hard, most people just say its broken but really arent sure what effect it really has, I personally think its the same as h/h but there is just no peaceful diplomacy with the ai, like vh/vh is just "total war" with hard boni. I've tested hard vs vh to see if I get more or less money like some people claim but it's the same.
    I dont play RS2... I have just seen that statement as well posted several times without proof.

However in plain RTW or the version I play (A lightly modded one)... You can clearly see from the start that you do in fact take in less income from your cities on the VH level... Also as you said diplomacy is much tougher and I tend to notice armies from far away nations at times trying to take a province from me on VH while on H mainly regional armies are in the area...

(Carthaginian/Spanish (Iberian) armies in Rome for example on VH...

You have to take into account variety... So just because a few beta testers say they experience a tougher game on H than on VH is a here and there statement...

I guess we can do our own testing if we are curious... Maybe it is a more complex thing they speak of than something on the surface...

Same Version... Same Faction...

They could however be absolutely right and VH campaign difficulty can very well be flawed... But I am yet to see the proof...

I guess we will all play what we like/prefer...

Good games to all...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 23, 2014 at 02:13 AM.
    Interesting Fact?
    Only the emperor or triumphant generals could wear all purple, anybody else doing so would be killed.

Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Version 2.8

by iLeeT_PeeP

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Works View Post
    Care to elaborate?

I get that some tactics might seem "gamey" either because they take advantage of some flaw in the game engine or a mod design, but flanking your enemy and striking from the rear seems like a fairly effective battle plan to me. After all, I don't play to purposely lose.
    Sure - the majority of Ancient Battles are long pushing and shoving matches (writers condense); Archers take years to train and were not as widely available - 1-2 units max in all Western factions; Cavalry does not commonly charge infantry, again is not as widely available in many factions, and should mainly be used for scouting, covering flanks and pursuing routing enemy. The main thing, however, that no player is restricted by, is that there were no radios in the ancient world. Control of troops is sketchy at best - co-ordination of clever flanking moves a tricky proposition.

For a really good challenge, keep your armies balanced at historical levels and win with skill and perseverance - don't cheat yourself, unless you're just playing to see silly things happen. There's no point in playing a Mod balanced to achieve all that, unless you want to play it like that. M2CW

Quote Originally Posted by iLeeT_PeeP View Post
    I dont play RS2... I have just seen that statement as well posted several times without proof. .................
    There is a sub-culture of gamers who just really have to show to the world that they're 'leet'. I include the quote from the man who said it - who got it straight from one of RTW's original designers. That's all the proof I need. You are free to PM him and ask.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Sure - the majority of Ancient Battles are long pushing and shoving matches (writers condense); Archers take years to train and were not as widely available - 1-2 units max in all Western factions; Cavalry does not commonly charge infantry, again is not as widely available in many factions, and should mainly be used for scouting, covering flanks and pursuing routing enemy. The main thing, however, that no player is restricted by, is that there were no radios in the ancient world. Control of troops is sketchy at best - co-ordination of clever flanking moves a tricky proposition.

For a really good challenge, keep your armies balanced at historical levels and win with skill and perseverance - don't cheat yourself, unless you're just playing to see silly things happen. There's no point in playing a Mod balanced to achieve all that, unless you want to play it like that. M2CW

There is a sub-culture of gamers who just really have to show to the world that they're 'leet'. I include the quote from the man who said it - who got it straight from one of RTW's original designers. That's all the proof I need. You are free to PM him and ask.
    I dont mean to be confrontational ur... Just curious is all.

I will just forget the subject... is no big deal to me.

Good games...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 23, 2014 at 05:06 AM.
    Interesting Fact?
    Only the emperor or triumphant generals could wear all purple, anybody else doing so would be killed.

by iLeeT_PeeP

I dont play RS2... I have just seen that statement as well posted several times without proof.

However in plain RTW or the version I play (A lightly modded one)... You can clearly see from the start that you do in fact take in less income from your cities on the VH level... Also as you said diplomacy is much tougher and I tend to notice armies from far away nations at times trying to take a province from me on VH while on H mainly regional armies are in the area...

You have to take into account variety... So just because a few beta testers say they experience a tougher game on H than on VH is a here and there statement...

I guess we can do our own testing if we are curious... Maybe it is a more complex thing they speak of than something on the surface...

They could however be absolutely right and VH campaign difficulty can very well be flawed... But I am yet to see the proof...

Good games to all...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    end turn and see what your income looks like?

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Works View Post
    Well, I didn't get that memo and started a Roman campaign on H\H. And for the record, it's hard.

I've managed to survive and even start to grow, but every battle that I fight on the battle map is a grind. At first, I thought it really was just that the battles were taking too long, but no, I lose a lot more battles as Rome now than I in any other instantiation of this game or any mod (I haven't played every mod, of course).

I tried to take Carthage with three legions and no spies (to skip the garrison script). It was brutal. I fought for two days (evenings after work) just to take Carthage and the surrounding area. I ended up fighting five or six stacks (some weren't full stacks, but close). But the time I was done, my legions were thinned and if one more stack had come, I might have lost.

Maybe I'll go back and start a M/H campaign.
    TBH, that is the kind of thing I rather enjoy. But I am a player who has never been in a hurry. I play long drawn out campaigns over months, and don't care if I have to fight a battle for an hour. Guess I just draw my sense of accomplishment from 'winning it'....not necessarily from winning it faster.

Good games to all...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    This isn't the first time that someone has said: "You have given me no proof". Does this prove anything:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...AMPAIGN-VH-BUG

Probably not if people don't want to believe it. But here's the thing, I have had others post that they 'did a test', and thus have proved that this is wrong. My question is, which I ask in charity and friendliness, is your test more valid than the testing of beta testers from multiple mods who have tested for thousands of hours? Have you run hundreds of -ai campaigns and watched the results of each for 50-70 years or so to see what the differences would be between VH and H and M campaigns.

We did.

But you're absolutely right. People will play what they want, and that's fine. We simply 'recommend', as is our right, how to play our mod for the best challenge, based on thousands of hours of testing.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

I would love an option to make battles faster. After fighting 5 or 6 Carthaginian armies it begins to become a drag.

All that shows is that AI bonuses that players aren't supposed to get don't show up well on the city UI. I think the money is just added at the end of the turn, your Financial sheets don't show it in advance, you just end up with more than you're supposed to have.

Not sure if you also get the kind of bankruptcy protection the AI does, I never checked.

onmy6's Avatar Miles

I like things just the way they are, I like the long battles when they happen, so be it, anyways if you really cant be bothered or want a short battle roll the dice and hit auto-resolve, the only thing i dont particularly like is the diplomacy but there is nothing that can be done about that, it is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    TBH, that is the kind of thing I rather enjoy. But I am a player who has never been in a hurry. I play long drawn out campaigns over months, and don't care if I have to fight a battle for an hour. Guess I just draw my sense of accomplishment from 'winning it'....not necessarily from winning it faster.
    And I'm not talking about speed necessarily. When you factor in the number of battles, it's not just an hour, it's a lot longer and even if you're playing the one-turn recruitment version.

The implication that I'm "rushing" or "really cant be bothered" to fight battles is based on the fact that I can't spend four hours a night playing this mod. I can't even spend every night playing this mod. The nature of my employment, the classes I teach, and my life is that I can have several days in a row (as I do now) to play the mod, then I'm working long days for a week to ten days. I have responsibilities - just as I know others here do, too. This isn't laziness or a desire to play in a gamey manner; it's the reality that I'll probably never finish a campaign with this mod.

Maybe my biggest problem is that I like to finish what I start.

This isn't the first time that someone has said: "You have given me no proof". Does this prove anything:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...AMPAIGN-VH-BUG

Probably not if people don't want to believe it. But here's the thing, I have had others post that they 'did a test', and thus have proved that this is wrong. My question is, which I ask in charity and friendliness, is your test more valid than the testing of beta testers from multiple mods who have tested for thousands of hours? Have you run hundreds of -ai campaigns and watched the results of each for 50-70 years or so to see what the differences would be between VH and H and M campaigns.

We did.

But you're absolutely right. People will play what they want, and that's fine. We simply 'recommend', as is our right, how to play our mod for the best challenge, based on thousands of hours of testing.

Well respected dvk...
    Shame they did not fix such a crucial detail...

Neither your fault or mine...

Good games...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

couldnt you prove it by opening the console the start of your turn and going through the last commands?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12