Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Mac Mod Guide

Default Re: Mac Mod Guide

Hi again lol,

I followed your ESF EDitor how to and it still doesnt up a ESF EDitor window. Whenever I tried to edit my startpos.esf file, nothing pops up. It just brings up the icon of the wrapper on the dashboard and thats all. Any ideas why its like this? Thanks.

Hi, whenever I try to install the ESF Editor I always get this error. "Installation Did Not Succeed; .NET Framework has not been installed because: HRESULT 0x8007007b"

Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?

The_Athenian's Avatar Civis

Update: I have uploaded a new version of the esf editor package on page 1 of this thread. It includes a file wrapper with the necessary .NET Framework pre-installed.

Hi, whenever I try to install the ESF Editor I always get this error. "Installation Did Not Succeed; .NET Framework has not been installed because: HRESULT 0x8007007b"

Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?
    This Might Help:
    I intend to upload an updated wrapper, but I haven't had a a chance yet. For now try to follow these directions:To access the esf editor1.4.8 you need to update wineskin.

a. unzip ESf editor.zip & open the folder, inside you will see:
    ESf editor1.4.8.exe
    ETW turns editor.exe
    file wrapper

b. double click on "file wrapper", this will open Wineskin.

c. Click on Advanced -> then -> Tools -> then click on -> Winetricks

d. Under the drop down menu "dlls" scroll down to "dotnet40" it's description reads:
    "MS .NET 4.0 (Microsoft 2011)"

e. Check that off and click on "run". This will initiate a process and wineskin should try to download a new .NET framework with your browser. In the same window the tasks are running in, wineskin will give you instructions on where to put the files once they are downloaded. once this is downloaded, and put in the correct folder, run the dotnet40 thing again in wineskin. this should work, and now your wrapper will have the .net framework needed to run ESf editor 1.4.8

Right click on EsfEditor 1.4.8.exe -> select "open with -> select the file wrapper included in the download (which you just updated).
    Last edited by The_Athenian; July 31, 2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: New version of esfeditor now on page 1

Quote Originally Posted by The_Athenian View Post
    This Might Help:
    I intend to upload an updated wrapper, but I haven't had a a chance yet. For now try to follow these directions:To access the esf editor1.4.8 you need to update wineskin.

a. unzip ESf editor.zip & open the folder, inside you will see:
    ESf editor1.4.8.exe
    ETW turns editor.exe
    file wrapper

b. double click on "file wrapper", this will open Wineskin.

c. Click on Advanced -> then -> Tools -> then click on -> Winetricks

d. Under the drop down menu "dlls" scroll down to "dotnet40" it's description reads:
    "MS .NET 4.0 (Microsoft 2011)"

e. Check that off and click on "run". This will initiate a process and wineskin should try to download a new .NET framework with your browser. In the same window the tasks are running in, wineskin will give you instructions on where to put the files once they are downloaded. once this is downloaded, and put in the correct folder, run the dotnet40 thing again in wineskin. this should work, and now your wrapper will have the .net framework needed to run ESf editor 1.4.8

Right click on EsfEditor 1.4.8.exe -> select "open with -> select the file wrapper included in the download (which you just updated).
    Thanks for the reply but things havent changed. Attached is a picture of what I get.

Here is the link for the image http://postimg.org/image/jherwee9p/ // of what I get

OK, jriguis,
    I am going to upload a wrapper with the .net framework pre installed…let's see if it works:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/CunCltYOc..._Package.html?
    Last edited by The_Athenian; July 31, 2014 at 10:33 AM.

Hey, how about Pack File Manager or something similar?? do u know any .pack editor that works on a mac?? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 007Jua007 View Post
    Hey, how about Pack File Manager or something similar?? do u know any .pack editor that works on a mac?? thanks
    007Jua007,

Let me see what I can come up with...

Edit:

Ok, 007Jua007, I have a working .pack manager on my mac.

1. Go To http://sourceforge.net/projects/etw-...ckFileManager/

2. I Downloaded 1.5, but you can try a newer one, should work the same.

3. Open the Pack File Manager 3.2.1.zip -> open the resulting folder -> scroll down to "PackFileManager.exe"

4. Open "PackFileManager.exe" with the "file wrapper" I included with my ESF Editor Package.

5. The program will now query you to find RTW2, click cancel, then STW, click cancel, then NTW, click cancel. Then ETW...

6. Empire Total War File Path -> "/" -> Applications -> Empire Total War .app -> Contents -> Resources -> Data -> data

7. Z:\Applications\Empire Total War .app\Contents\Resources\Data\data
    once this is entered in, click "ok"

8. Two messages will appear, click "ok" then "no" (We may need to investigate these messages further at a future date…)

9. This will open the pack file manager, you should be able to figure it out from here. Let me know if you have any luck using it.
    Last edited by The_Athenian; August 04, 2014 at 10:38 AM.

007Jua007,

Let me see what I can come up with...

Edit:

Ok, 007Jua007, I have a working .pack manager on my mac.

1. Go To http://sourceforge.net/projects/etw-...ckFileManager/

2. I Downloaded 1.5, but you can try a newer one, should work the same.

3. Open the Pack File Manager 3.2.1.zip -> open the resulting folder -> scroll down to "PackFileManager.exe"

4. Open "PackFileManager.exe" with the "file wrapper" I included with my ESF Editor Package.

5. The program will now query you to find RTW2, click cancel, then STW, click cancel, then NTW, click cancel. Then ETW...

6. Empire Total War File Path -> "/" -> Applications -> Empire Total War .app -> Contents -> Resources -> Data -> data

7. Z:\Applications\Empire Total War .app\Contents\Resources\Data\data
    once this is entered in, click "ok"

8. Two messages will appear, click "ok" then "no" (We may need to investigate these messages further at a future date…)

9. This will open the pack file manager, you should be able to figure it out from here. Let me know if you have any luck using it.
    so, I don't know why, but my empire is installed in "/Users/'myname'/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Empire Total War/EmpireData" and the data folder is there with the icon, the fx_cache and languages folder, so even thoughi put to browse this on PFM, it wont find it... should i put the location of the application, the data folder or the .pack files? thanks

EDIT: I got the version 1.11 working, it crashes sometimes but its good enough to change some stuff! hahaha Thanks man!! version 3.2.1 was not working, maybe it could not recognize the path... but its fine
    Last edited by 007Jua007; August 05, 2014 at 12:06 AM.

007Jua007,

Ok, I'm glad it is sort of working. That is good news!

I am not using the steam version, so our file paths are different, the is probably why my version 3.2.1 works and doesn't work for yours.

Hey again, I got the 3.2.1 working finally, i just needed to create a file named "Empire.exe" inside EmpireData folder, but i cannot open db files, does it happen to you also?? they say is a problem with registry, but im using mac so i got confused..

Just a footnote: The mods "The American Revolution" and "Imperial splendor" also work if you do the same as the darthmod (run the installer with wine, install in another folder with anything called "Empire.exe" inside, copy the files and paste on the original ETW data folder, then activate on the feral's launcher..)
    Last edited by 007Jua007; August 08, 2014 at 06:48 AM.

The mods "The American Revolution" and "Imperial splendor" also work if you do the same as the darthmod (run the installer with wine, install in another folder with anything called "Empire.exe" inside, copy the files and paste on the original ETW data folder, then activate on the feral's launcher..)
    Cool, I'll give Imperial Splendor a try tonight. That would be very cool. I think my process will need to be a little different just because you are using steam, we will see...

Hey again, I got the 3.2.1 working finally, i just needed to create a file named "Empire.exe" inside EmpireData folder, but i cannot open db files, does it happen to you also?? they say is a problem with registry, but im using mac so i got confused..
    Glad to hear you got the 3.2.1 working, that is very interesting about the empire.exe thing since I didn't need to do it on mine. It's probably because you have the steam version. I haven't tried to open any db files with it, I'll give it a shot when I'm home and see what happens.

I've probably tried downloading 3 or 4 different MODs and I can't get any part of of them to work..including this one. None of the download appears in my 'data' folder. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by camtheman290 View Post
    I've probably tried downloading 3 or 4 different MODs and I can't get any part of of them to work..including this one. None of the download appears in my 'data' folder. Any ideas guys? Thanks.
    Ok, let's see if we can get you going here. Getting any mod working on Empire improves the game dramatically...

1. When you download a mod it will not "appear" in your data folder.

a. Check the download folder on your computer (should be under <username>)
    b. Check the download window on your web browser -> when you find the download click "Show in Finder", or right click -> Reveal in finder

2. Any mod you download may include two types of files.

a. ".pack" files. Files ending in .pack, these make changes to the game adding new graphics, units and so on. These files you will place in your "data" folder.

b. "startpos" files, ending with "esf" & ".lua". These make changes to the campaign map, such as start time, turn length, factions unlocked… These files will be placed in the "main" folder inside your "campaign" folder. The campaign folder can be found within your "data" folder.

3. You must manually place the new mod files into the correct folders.

a. Go to you empire total war app, right click on the icon, select "show contents"

b. for .pack files follow this file path: resources -> Data -> data

c. for .esf and .lua files follow this path: resources -> Data -> data -> campaigns -> main

d. When placing .esf and .lua files save your original startpos.esf and startpos.lua files. To do this, what I do, is before pasting the new modded startpos files, I change the name of the vanilla files to "startpos.esf vanilla" & "startpos.lua vanilla". That way the original vanilla files won't be overwritten, and I can always go back to them if the mod doesn't work.

Note: It helps to use the "File" -> "Label" option on your desktop, to color code the .pack files. That way you can easily find them, so you can remove, and put in a new mod later.

4. Once you have done this, you will need to activate the mods in the Empire: Total War launcher

a. Double click on empire total war

b. click on the "options" tab in the window/launcher that opens.

c. There will be an option which says "Advanced Options" with the ability for you to type in text.

d. Enter the .pack mods you added to your data folder:
    for example something like this: mod "empiregraphics.pack"; mod "stonedafghan.pack"; mod "opiumtrader.pack";
    You must enter them in using this exact format, if you don't use semi colons, or put quotes in the wrong place the mod will not work.

So to restate: mod<space><quotation_mark><name_of_pack.pack><quotation_mark><semi-colon>

5. Once you have done this, click on play, and your mod will load. To check if it worked you need to know what your mod is effecting.

a. TROM (The Rights of Man) will alter the main menu, main menu will now say Empire The Rights of Man

b. For mods that change units, try playing a battle, and seeing if you new units are there.

EDIT:
    6. If you downloaded a .exe mod, and are installing using a wrapper

a. Do not try to install directly to you Empire Total War app. Direct the .exe to install the files into a separate folder. The best way is just to create a folder on your desktop for this, so that you can easily locate it.

b. If you still can't find the mod files it is possible the .exe installed the files directly inside the wrapper. So check the wrapper you used to run the .exe | Do this simply by right clicking on the wrapper and selecting "show contents". Take a look around and see if you find you files.

Give it a go, and post your results here!
    Last edited by The_Athenian; August 15, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

um hi guy namcobra here it has been a productive month since I've got etw steam version i cannot get mod such as ACW American Revolution mod or darthmod or minor faction revenge any idea

Yes, take a look at this post:

This guy has the Steam Version:

007Jua007
    Just a footnote: The mods "The American Revolution" and "Imperial splendor" also work if you do the same as the darthmod (run the installer with wine, install in another folder with anything called "Empire.exe" inside, copy the files and paste on the original ETW data folder, then activate on the feral's launcher..)
    1. So, create a folder with like a text file inside called "Empire.exe"

2. Use WINE to run the installation program for any windows mod, you can use the wrapper I included with the "ESF Editor Package"

3. Direct the installation toward the folder with the dummy "empire.exe"

4. I would color label the .pack files using the options in the finder menu. (that way you can easily find them again)

5. Copy and Paste the files you would like to run into the original ETW data folder,
    *American Civil War has Confederate and Union startpos files, so just choose the startpos.esf and startpos.lua you want to use and place in your campaign->main folder.

6. then activate using the advanced option in the launcher window. I tried this on my version and totally crashed, but I bought mine off Amazon (sorry gamers gate), so it's not the same as the steam version. Maybe it will work for you.

Notes on ACW
    I think it is all about picking the right .pack files to use. Remember, on windows a launcher is run which chooses which .packs to activate when you launch. For us on the mac we have to do this manually.

The best, but most time consuming method, is to move the .packs over one at a time:
    -move a .pack to your data folder, launch, no crash? good, quit empire, paste another .pack, launch, no crash? good, quit empire…paste the next .pack in, crash, , quit empire... take that .pack out of your data folder, add the next one, launch. no crash? good…and so that will be your life for a few hours.

(obviously don't start a game each time, just get to the main menu, if you get there without crashing, good. Quit, and try again with another. The only time you will need to start a game to test it is when you run your Startpos.esf and Startpos.lua files.)

*Also, mods will crash if there are conflicting .packs in your data folder. (two .packs trying to do the same thing). Some .packs are more like patches, they don't need to be activated in the launcher, they are always running, these can give you issues. Make sure you only have vanilla files in your data folder, then start adding ACW .packs.
    Last edited by The_Athenian; August 24, 2014 at 02:58 PM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by namcobra123 View Post
    um hi guy namcobra here it has been a productive month since I've got etw steam version i cannot get mod such as ACW American Revolution mod or darthmod or minor faction revenge any idea
    Is anyone on the Mac version aware you need the Warpath DLC for it to work? http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14046184

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Is anyone on the Mac version aware you need the Warpath DLC for it to work? http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14046184

This is a good point.

1. Warpath comes with Empire: Gold Edition. Irishron, how does it normally load up in windows? On mac the normal empire menu loads, then we have to select Warpath, as a menu option. Is it same for windows? Because if windows uses a launcher to run warpath we could have an issue right there.

2. This also means that you need to put the startpos files, perhaps in a different folder. Maybe main_2?

3. If this is the case be careful, to load warpath, you probably need to click on Warpath Campaign, if you select Grand Campaign the game might crash.

Those are my guesses anyway. I have the ACW files around somewhere I may give it a shot when I have some time.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

I can't answer this one as I have not bought the Warpath DLC.

(...) I tried this on my version and totally crashed, but I bought mine off Amazon (sorry gamers gate), so it's not the same as the steam version. Maybe it will work for you. (...)
    So, its good to note that the TAR mod has some .pack files with different options inside the "DATA/TAR" folder where you installed it, for example: "TAR_Deploy.Close" and "TAR_Deploy.OFF"; it doesn't say .pack but they are .pack files and you should choose one of each and rename: "TAR_Deploy.OFF" to "TAR_Deploy.pack"... then you can add to your empire data folder.

Also, inside the "BACKUP" folder where TAR was installed, there are (I believe) the most important .pack files (without variations), that you should also copy to your empire data folder..

this is a picture of my working TAR , that i separated in another folder for easier installation:

* the "tarscripts.txt" is just a file with the names of the .pack that i have to put when i open feral launcher..
    basically, you just select the variation of the .packs you want and put to your empire data folder...
    Last edited by 007Jua007; August 25, 2014 at 09:39 PM.