Thread: dont understand the game

ash874's Avatar Campidoctor

Default dont understand the game

so i got some new hardware lately but dont know what to do with it
    i dont get any of the new games and i have really stretched the time i can play with my usual games (cs1.6 civ4 and mtw2)
    i am really trying to get hooked on shogun2 (everyone says its the best tw) but it doesnt happen for me
    same with rome 2 but not relevant to this subforum
    the choices to make seem not important at all
    at first i thought its because i tried on normal and so can win no matter how i go
    but playing on vh didnt change much
    i play shimazu (since im noob) got to the point where i took my island and some 3 provinces from the adjacent mainland
    i set my taxes on the lowest to get growth without thinking too much and i have no problem (as in mtw2 i dont see why i even need any other options)
    i dont see the point in building castles and market improvements since im quite sure that over the long term, surplus food will give me much more benefit (assuming ill expand more and more)
    so there goes a whole chunk of buildings out the window
    cant understand which units im trying to build
    those who are a little better are also a little less in size so its hard to say what im trying to reach
    compared to the simplicity of mtw2 where dismounted feudal knights kill anything or as muslims opt for javelins

i want to see the AI moves but endless time of watching fleets moving around killed it for me and i prefer to just take the risk of being invaded than watch this

i do not enjoy the battles at all - dont know exactly for what reason
    so i resort to autoresolving - which is the only reason for me to build well balanced armies
    im guessing they have better shot at autoresolve than just a stack of samurai infantry with a little bit of archers so that the AI wont kite
    otherwise i would not have built most of the buildings at all
    why do i need yari for example when i can go for katana and stand behind walls
    the strategic map is such that bottlenecks are a constant viable strategic option
    i have say 10 regions but need only 2 armies
    in short dont get the game at all and cant find a lets play where things are explained

to say the truth (and i know that will piss some people off), i have a hard time finding professional plays on youtube of any tw game
    most players seem very amateur
    if compared to players like absolute zero from civ4, it seems this game is a straightforward do whatever you want type of game
    i think i got too old to get new games
    Last edited by ash874; January 16, 2014 at 09:58 AM.

Default Re: dont understand the game

Hmm perhaps you might like Europa Universalis IV more, if you do not like the battles. However perhaps you should give modding a shot, and download some mods like radious or something to try and up the fun.

Artifex

That's the problem with all new TW games. They have been consequently dumbed down to please the MP casual players who would be overwhelmed if you forced them to think about strategies. Maybe a realism mod might keep you interested. Try DaVinci's Shogun 2 Realism+.
    Otherwise, try Paradox games. Although they don't have 3D battles, Paradox games offer complex gameplay, working AI and many diplomacy options.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    That's the problem with all new TW games. They have been consequently dumbed down to please the MP casual players who would be overwhelmed if you forced them to think about strategies. Maybe a realism mod might keep you interested. Try DaVinci's Shogun 2 Realism+.
    Otherwise, try Paradox games. Although they don't have 3D battles, Paradox games offer complex gameplay, working AI and many diplomacy options.
    That makes no sense when MP has been the most barebones experience with essentially no support nor any decent balance/ new (good) mechanics since Medieval 1/ RTW BI. (Infact MP community of TW has been long standing since the days of Shogun 1 and at that time the community was good and tight knit.)

I just think TW simply sucks now and I don't have the time to waste being a beta tester for an mediocre product at the end with holes everywhere.
    炸鸡