Thread: Great War Mod Machinima

Sun Jetzu's Avatar Vicarius

Default Great War Mod Machinima

Testing out how the great war mod looks as machinima/ cinematic.
    Was playing as Great Britain when Spain declared war on me. I began raiding their buildings with 1 unit squadrons when they sent cavalry after me. This skirmish took place outside of barcelona. The cav unit fired then charged my trench and were mowed down in force. Showing that cavalry is pretty much outdated in this game.
    Having alot of fun with this mod, havent had any crashes yet. But I also havent played for very long. Also dont have any of the patches installed either.
    Can anyone let me know if theyre worth adding? Alot of people say they make the game crash but I'm just not sure.
    One Punch Man Series VS My Hero Academia Series - Who's Better?

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Re: Great War Mod Machinima

Your good at that man + rep

You should definitely install the patches, they fix alot of issues and make it easier to get father in the game. Id love to see you do some work with tanks and heavy artillery involded.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Your good at that man + rep

You should definitely install the patches, they fix alot of issues and make it easier to get father in the game. Id love to see you do some work with tanks and heavy artillery involded.
    Thanks
    Total War Cinematics/Machinima's are kinda my thing.
    I was actually thinking of doing The Battle of the Mons Machinima next but am now looking into battles that had tanks as well.
    I'm always looking for help to reanact so if anyone wants to help who has the game hit me up on steam. Steam name is Sun Jetzu
    You"ll be happy to know I love this mod and its actually gotten me to learn more about ww1 battles through the net or barnes n noble.
    Also I'm still playing as great britain and im almost at 1916 without any crashes. Do the two patches only fix crashes or do they change base game?

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

I checked out your work and its very impressive sir

Glad you enjoy the mod. I didnt know much about WW1 either when i started working on the mod and ive learned so much these past few years but even at this point theres still more to learn.

Thank you that means a lot
    So ive chosen to work on a battle of the somme cinematic, and maybe a charge of the light brigade or d- day cinematic also. Know they are not in the same time period but I think I can make it work. And I agree, theres still aloy i also need to study on the great war myself

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Jetzu View Post
    Thank you that means a lot
    So ive chosen to work on a battle of the somme cinematic, and maybe a charge of the light brigade or d- day cinematic also. Know they are not in the same time period but I think I can make it work. And I agree, theres still aloy i also need to study on the great war myself
    Considering D-Day was in WWII it's gonna be a bit hard to do. Also, as far as I know, there isn't a map that could be usable for that. If you're going to do the Charge of the Light Brigade you might as well do it in vanilla Napoleon. Also, do the Thin Red Line, and I'm in. I'll do the whole Battle of Balaclava with you. that is if we can find a map. Also, we'll need DarthMod Napoleon if we want it to be very historically accurate. And I'll need a better computer.

D-day will be hard to do but there are alot of units that are to what the allies and Germans look. Also some weapons look similiar as well. So im fairly confident it will work. As for the map. It will be hard but I need to find a map with some sand and rocks. I saw the map the battle of galipoli if im not mistaken. Havent played it but it mighy be close. The charge ofthe light brigade I'm gonna need a valky style map where there could be a couple of hills and knolls. It shouldnt be too difficult. I'm not familiar with that battle but the ones im 100% doing is the somme. And for that one in using a mixture of trench a no mans land maps. Then I would be intetested in doing verdun, marne, tanneberg, and the mons. But im not 100 % sure on those yet. I could use the help from anyone thatvhas the game i welcome it.

For the Somme I'd recommend using the Trench maps for some clips but mostly using the Hundred Days Offensive map for the charge scenes. But if you are going to do Crimean War stuff I highly recommend using the more historically accurate Napoleon vanilla. The British wore their red coats after all.

Cavalry is obsolete, you say? Captain Nicholls would like to challenge that...

Calvary is without a doubt, outdated and is very demanding in how it gets from the point of Police to being useful.

For one thing, when the game progresses to high techs, Cav really does loose most of its good points. A good old fashioned sabre charge is always good, its just a matter of making it to the enemy. And we all know its a hard to make it when chemicals, machine guns, and grenades come into play.

But I would NEVER consider taking them out of my military either, they make good police, can chase and effectively kill special forces (Snipers, flamethrowers) because even with their fancy equipment, don't have the numbers or rate of fire to take down an entire cav regiment before it reaches its target. Machine guns being an exception.

I've actually employed mass cavalry charges quite usefully before. I remember using a couple lancers and a couple horse guards and chargin the German lines and breaking like half their infantry. Big army too.

On a sidenote, Captain Nicholls's last charge was nice and all, but he also was one of, if not the first, to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jester View Post
    Calvary is without a doubt, outdated and is very demanding in how it gets from the point of Police to being useful.

For one thing, when the game progresses to high techs, Cav really does loose most of its good points. A good old fashioned sabre charge is always good, its just a matter of making it to the enemy. And we all know its a hard to make it when chemicals, machine guns, and grenades come into play.

But I would NEVER consider taking them out of my military either, they make good police, can chase and effectively kill special forces (Snipers, flamethrowers) because even with their fancy equipment, don't have the numbers or rate of fire to take down an entire cav regiment before it reaches its target. Machine guns being an exception.
    Special forces, that I did not think of lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jester View Post
    On a sidenote, Captain Nicholls's last charge was nice and all, but he also was one of, if not the first, to die.
    Yeah, I know. But I called it Captain Nicholls's Last Stand since

a) It was a successful cavalry charge, and
    b) The War Horse soundtrack (which I modded TGW to feature) was playing when it happened.

Also, here's a proper Machinima that I made, loosely based off a Polandball strip I saw based off the Attack of the Dead: