Thread: "The Physician"movie of the Noah Gordon novel (Winter 2013)

Default "The Physician"movie of the Noah Gordon novel (Winter 2013)

Great news for the lovers of historic novels, this last 25 of december was the premiere of movie "The Physician" which is based in the famous novel of Noah Gordon that has been read by millions of readers in around all the world.

Storyline

When nine-year-old Rob Cole felt the life force slipping from his mother's hand he could not foresee that this terrifying awareness of impending death was a gift that would lead him from the familiar life of 11th-century London to small villages throughout England and finally to the medical school at Ispahan. Though apprenticed to an itinerant barber surgeon, it is the dazzling surgery of a Jewish physician trained by the legendary Persian physician Avicenna that inspires him to accept his gift and to commit his life to healing by studying at Avicenna's school. Despite the ban on Christian students, Rob goes there, disguising himself as a Jew to gain admission. Gordon has written an adventurous and inspiring tale of a quest for medical knowledge pursued in a violent world full of superstition and prejudice.

More information about the cast in this link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2101473/

And here the link of its Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DerMedicusFilm

And here the Novel in which is based the Movie:

Summary:

In the 11th century, Rob Cole left poor, disease-ridden London to make his way across the land, hustling, juggling, peddling cures to the sick—and discovering the mystical ways of healing. It was on his travels that he found his own very real gift for healing—a gift that urged him on to become a doctor. So all consuming was his dream, that he made the perilous, unheard-of journey to Persia, to its Arab universities where he would undertake a transformation that would shape his destiny forever.

Besides this novel has tow continuations about the destiny of the Cole descendents along the centuries:

Summary:

Robert Jeremy Cole, the legendary doctor and hero of The Physician, left an enduring legacy. From the 11th century on, the eldest son in each generation of the Cole family has borne the same first name and middle initial and many of these men have followed the medical profession. A few have been blessed with their ancestor's diagnostic skill and the "sixth sense" they call The Gift, the ability to know instinctively when death is impending. The tragedy of Rob J.'s life is the deafness of his son, Robert Jefferson Cole, who is called Shaman by everyone who knows him. Shaman's life is difficult. First, he must learn to speak so that he can take his place in the hearing world, and then he must fight against the prejudices of a society where physical differences matter. As Shaman struggles to achieve his identity, the Coles, along with the rest of America, are drawn into the conflict between the North and the South.

Summary:

Down the long generations many sons in the Cole family have been drawn to medicine, but only a few have possessed "the gift," the ability to feel impending death in others. Now, in Matters of Choice the phenomenon emerges again in the brightly lit world of modern science - not in a son, but in a young woman doctor, Roberta Jeanne d'Arc Cole, known as R.J.
    The first time R.J. disappoints her beloved father is when she is born female; the second, when she chooses to study law rather than medicine. But destiny overtakes her when she discovers that she has inherited "the gift," which sometimes will allow her to intervene and save a life, and sometimes will just give her a chance to say good-bye.
    Hoping for a simpler, richer life, R.J. forgoes a career at a prestigious Boston hospital for a country practice, but she finds herself facing the same pressing issues she had opted to leave behind in Boston... and the agonizing intimate choices that confront all women.

Here the trailers and photograps:

The Physician Trailer

Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOj-Pn5WJkw

The Physician (Der Medicus) Official Trailer #1 (2013) - German Movie HD

Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFmZ-fHT7Po

PROROM: "THE PHYSICIAN" TEASER

Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8gaZll77FU

Photograps of some of the characters of the movie

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sir Ben Kingsley as Avicenna:

More Photograps and the Historical Context:

Altough the movie is about a fictional historic novel, it is based in the history of the first half of the eleven century of Persia, when the Ghaznavids were expeled of Iran by the Seljuks, which appear quite well represented in the movie.

Below in the next photograps the actor Oliver Martinez as the
    Shah Ala ad-Daula (a fictional character based in several iranian kings of the X-XI centuries, although, at least for what I can see in the movie, I think that he is based in Mas'ud I of Ghazni. Even there are some scenes of the movie where you can see some banners of the sha army that are very similar to the banners of the ghaznavids armies of Broken Crecent.)

On other hand I think that the movie has the perfect persian and turkic characters to make several new portraits for Broken Crecent:

And here some pictures of the Seljuks (the guy in the midle of the next three photograps it seems that is based in Tughril the founder of the Seljuk Empire):

And more photograps of the movie:

Last edited by Rampante-Cid; January 12, 2014 at 03:27 PM.

Default Re: "The Physician"movie of the Noah Gordon novel (Winter 2013)

Thank you for sharing this, I will add this to my dvd "to get" list. Hopefully it will have a directors cut which shows all the film locations, etc. Also thanks for sharing the images.... I see a few new portraits here in the near future. LOL +rep

Thanks! It´s a truly pleasure for me to share the fantastic news about this excelent historical movie with everyone. And I add some more photograps of the Avicenna pupils, the Sha and the Seljuks!
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; January 12, 2014 at 03:23 PM.

Looking forward to your updates, looks like you've added an update for the jewish_physician and physician (Muslim) (IIRC) ancillaries!! I haven't been to a movie theater in years, not even for the Hobbit. I may go see this one. It looks like a very good story, from what I can tell the costumes are all period and it will be a good look at Medieval Iran. Do you know if it was filmed there? Anyway, thank you again.

The film was not film in Iran if not in these localitations:

The Physician (2013)

Filming Locations

Showing all 4 filming locations

Germany
    4 of 4 found this interesting

Morocco
    3 of 3 found this interesting

Rüdersdorf, Brandenburg, Germany
    3 of 3 found this interesting

Berlin, Germany
    2 of 2 found this interesting

I think that it´s a shame but probably today anybody has the enough courage to film in Iran for the fear to a terrorist bomb, the high cost of to film in a far away country, etc. and probably the main reason is fear to the possible censure of the islamic regime, which I think is a silly way of acting because the iranian government should protect and promote movies like this that show to the world the real face and the importance of Iran for the history of the Humanity.
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; January 13, 2014 at 03:05 AM.

To explain to you in majorities point of view,Iran is not an "Islamic" country as they would like to show the world by naming theirselves as "Islamic Republic"....the reason no people will film in Iran specially foreigners is because of Iran's strict policy that if you want to film in their country then they would need to become a "co-director" and that means controlling half of the scenes where they will change it to the way they pleases it to be.......there are no bombings in Iran but the most feared thing in Iran is kidnappings and discrete detention sometimes that will lead to torture and even execution.

If you closely study Iran and with its "Shia" way of life then you will see a very big difference in it to the point you yourself will say that they are not actually Muslims.

anyways,nice post! If you haven't posted this then probably I wouldn't know about this film......just to add I don't quite agree how Christians are not allowed in the Islamic Universities when one of its features is of it having sponsorship and apprenticeship to Christians and Jews.

(No offense to anyone here.)
    Last edited by hameem123; January 19, 2014 at 05:10 AM.

*IGNORE*