Thread: Proposal: An Expansion into the the late 17th Century

Winston Churchill, PM's Avatar Foederatus
    Gravesend, Kent, United Kingdom (Great Britain)

Default Proposal: An Expansion into the the late 17th Century

I was thinking that perhaps we could create an expansion/sub mod to incorporate the late 17th Century, such as the Franco-Dutch War, The Glorious Revolution and the Battle of the Boyne, the Anglo-Dutch Wars, the War of the Grand Alliance, and much more. It would be a lofty challenge, but also a glittering and remarkable addition to this brilliant modification. I am not really a modder, but I am a knowledgable historian and would be happy to help in any way I could. Please post your opinions on this matter.

Winston.

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Proposal: An Expansion into the the late 17th Century

Well there's the Two Towers mod they made/are still working on which I think hasn't been translated yet which is focused on the Balkans in the 1600's. But work on that stopped due to a currently unsolvable map CTD bug. But I agree, I think Infracta should have just went all out and made a mod from 1600-1700 covering all of Europe.

Winston Churchill, PM's Avatar Foederatus
    Gravesend, Kent, United Kingdom (Great Britain)

Yes, I don't think the expansion would be too difficult a task. Really, the boundaries of Europe changed very little following the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648. Basically, only Louis XIV's France gained a significant amount of territory in the 1670's, 80's, 90's. As for the units, the basic reform across Europe was for a more widely standard uniform, so we see the beginning of professional, uniformed armies. I should think this would be much easier to mod as compared to the pre-1648 varied armies. We should get in touch with modders who would be willing to try this. I will contact Gigantus.

Winston.

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

I don't think they will be able to do it, Infracta working on two or three mods right now and I believe Gigantus is working on another mod all together. They're busy.

Domesticus

Sounds like an interesting idea. Not sure how you'd really do Anglo-Dutch though, that'd cause the need for an entirely new map, no? Or would England have land in the Netherlands? I'd say if you went out of your way to make an entirely new map, it'd probably be better just to make a "sister" mod that'd be Western Europe during the 1600s.