View Poll Results: Will you play Total War Arena?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, hey its free

18 46.15%
  • No, matter of principle

21 53.85%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Will you play Total War arena after Rome 2?

Default Re: Will you play Total War arena after Rome 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    The stench of f2p makes me gag.
    I can understand why you would feel that way, but they aren't all terrible money grabbers. Some are pretty decent imo. Tribes: Ascend, TF2, dota 2.

Besides, In Shogun 2 you basically paid £29.99 for the game and £1.99/£5.99 for units. It was actually sort of worse than Free2play.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoBo1 View Post
    I can understand why you would feel that way, but they aren't all terrible money grabbers. Some are pretty decent imo. Tribes: Ascend, TF2, dota 2.

Besides, In Shogun 2 you basically paid £29.99 for the game and £1.99/£5.99 for units. It was actually sort of worse than Free2play.
    The only thing CA copied from Shogun 2 was the DLC fad and multiplied it by 10x.

​Scoodlypooper Numero Uno

?

Originally Posted by MrBoBo1

Say what? like wtf really bro? I played Tribes back in the day.... I loved Tribes.... Tribes Ascend is gross... you have to pay real money for vehicles (WHICH WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF TRIBES IN THE FIRST PLACE) ... and not only do you have to pay for them, (from how I understood it, maybe I was just too stoned) you have to pay to get them to respawn... and it looked like you can pay again to make that vehicle respawn even faster...

You need to pay money to make any progress in your class... old Tribes was balanced... the light inf. could out fly/dodge the heavy inf... and the havy inf.. obivously packed more punch and had more fire power than the light.... In Tribes A... you just pay money to get better.... pure ...

Also... Tribes original had the feel of being a trooper in this world... you were in a huge server, hopping in fighter vessels or transport vessels.... hoping your pilot can get you to the enemy base safe... lazers everywhere, then you get to destination and fly out to assault the base... die and do it again... Tribes A... you do all this... die... then have to pay more money to try to do it again.. or even spawn the vehicle required to do so....

ALL PAY TO WIN GAMES ARE THE SAME... UTTER CRAP... I gave some a try... lots.. Tribes A being one (since I am an old tribes fan).... I even used to play never winter nights back in the day so I tried that... WHAT THE ... like really? people who pay 100 bucks get drow warlords to start as while everyone else is a level 1 whatever.... bunch of Drizzt wanna bes....

Anyways... however you look at it pay to win sucks.... you cant say ANY of the games you listed above are good at face value 0$.... hell nothing that costs 0 $ should be that good in the first place.

ALSO DLC and Pay to win are 2 different things.... like in Rome 2.. I dont have to pay for the blood pack to win... nor do I have to pay for the Sythians or Greek states to win... I can win using any of the free factions.... Same goes for Shogun 2.... if you feel ROTS players had an advantage online? only play with regular Shogun 2 players.... plus ROTS was an expansion pack... an entire campaign and more... not just extra units that will give you the edge in online play....

Ya ya maybe the unit packs are alittle Pay to win... but you can win just as easily without them... if they gave some crazy unfair advantage.. then it would be pay to win.... or if you could like pay to get more armor... pay to get better retainers... pay to get that is already there that you either have to work 1000's of man hours to get... or buy... Extra content I dont consider Pay to Win.. I consider it buying extra content..... like the expansion to Diablo 2 didnt make diablo 2 pay to win.... nor did the expansion to age of empires (1 or 2) make the game pay to win.... nor did any expansion ever.....

However.. buying some item in game that makes ytour dude UBER LEET over the other fools... is pay to win and plain stupid.
    Last edited by C.Maximus; January 16, 2014 at 07:31 PM.

But Tribes Ascend is good.

But Tribes Ascend is good.
    Must of never played Tribes 1 or 2

I just don't like f2p in general, even when it's "good". I even found LoL's system oppressive and that game's a huge success. DoTA2 might be better (since it has no runes and all that crap afaik) so I might concede on that example but I don't really like mobas either. All f2p games have a sleazy feel to them that repulses me. The way CA/SEGA are using Arena to sell R2 is a good example of that.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; January 16, 2014 at 07:35 PM.

I'm not against f2p games, I'm against a TW game that doesn't have empire building as its focus.

​Scoodlypooper Numero Uno

I just don't like f2p in general, even when it's "good". I even found LoL's system oppressive and that game's a huge success. DoTA2 might be better (since it has no runes and all that crap afaik) so I might concede on that example but I don't really like mobas either. All f2p games have a sleazy feel to them that repulses me. The way CA/SEGA are using Arena to sell R2 is a good example of that.
    Well, I mean, it's Sega. Totally ignoring Total War, looking at the current price points of aliens doesn't exactly put them in a good light. Be very surprised if it was a decent free2play model.

Turbo's Avatar Civitate

After Rome2? Why would I want to throw my money and time away?
    Work of God

Nope. I am intrigued by the Warhammer game though. Maybe CA can make it fun again?

Sun Jetzu's Avatar Vicarius

Well, I mean, it's Sega. Totally ignoring Total War, looking at the current price points of aliens doesn't exactly put them in a good light. Be very surprised if it was a decent free2play model.

I'm not excited for arena, but optimistic if it gives life to total war again and in a new direction.
    As for Aliens....
    Well here are my thoughts.
    One Punch Man Series VS My Hero Academia Series - Who's Better?

The stench of f2p makes me gag.
    Seconded...

Somewhere over at CA headquarters:

"HEY GUYS... WE HAVE NOT DRIVEN THIS FRANCHISE INTO THE GROUND ENOUGH YET... IDEAS?

I KNOW... LETS GO F2P... HAHAHA..."

The level of stupidity is mind-boggling...

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

no way i buy a CA game anymore untill the next tw is back to basics
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

I'm not a big fan of multiplayer, so no. Also, F2P? Defo not, thanks.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Interested to arena? I don't think so.

No, as others have said the F2P tends to be obtrusive and sleazy.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

No. I think CA has great trouble to understand its fanbase. I for one am looking for complex challenge to face in long gaming experience when I buy a sandbox strategy game. Not some kind of quick daily experience like a flash game. Also TW games are quite demanding in term of resource, even when properly optimized. For most part it seems reasonable to me as the game support thousands of detailed soldiers models on the battlefield. On the other hand F2P game tend to be extremely low requirement needed as they attempt to reach the broader audience.

F2P sub-game, alien licensed game, warhammer licensed game ... I am not sure what CA is becoming but in he light the stripped R2, it looks to me that the studio isn't anymore devoted to "true" TW games

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    F2P sub-game, alien licensed game, warhammer licensed game ... I am not sure what CA is becoming but in he light the stripped R2, it looks to me that the studio isn't anymore devoted to "true" TW games
    So true. I think people get confused about what Rome II represents...they see a botched release when in truth TWR2 is a fundamental shift in approach to games.

LeicsFox's Avatar Tiro

sure why not, CA's games are generally good so on balance I will try their new product
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast