Thread: Gold or Alexander?

Default Gold or Alexander?

Hey, folks! I looked but don't have a whole lot of time before work to do a thorough search, so I apologize if this has been answered already: is there a difference between installing this game in the Gold folder as opposed to the Alexander folder? Or if you have the Alexander expansion, will it take that into account regardless of which folder you save the mod to (I use Steam, if that makes any difference).

I think I'm going to try the Dacians first... Being right in the middle seems like a good place to see some action, and I love their historical background!

SD_Man's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Gold or Alexander?

I just plopped my Alexander into my Gold folder and it works fine. Of course make sure to copy and paste the RS2 files after and not before you plop in the Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_Man View Post
    I just plopped my Alexander into my Gold folder and it works fine. Of course make sure to copy and paste the RS2 files after and not before you plop in the Alexander.
    Thanks! Did you use the Alexander.exe for the Steam shortcut?

Nah I used the launcher. Here are steps to avoid steam error:
    When you press the "Steam: Yes" button you need to enter your "login username" not your "profile name." Also try copying the "steam.dll" to the main folder where all your RS2 files are. This should stop the "Failed to find Steam" error and allow you to choose your preferences and such.

Nah I used the launcher. Here are steps to avoid steam error:
    When you press the "Steam: Yes" button you need to enter your "login username" not your "profile name." Also try copying the "steam.dll" to the main folder where all your RS2 files are. This should stop the "Failed to find Steam" error and allow you to choose your preferences and such.
    I managed to install it (just by manually placing the files where they need to go, not with the traditional launcher), I'm just not sure if there's a difference between doing it the way prescribed in this thread (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ered-for-steam) which uses the native RTW, or if there's a way to do it that incorporates Alexander, or if doing it the way mentioned in that thread uses the Alexander expansion.

I used the same method of install. For the Alexander, simply take all the contents within the "Alexander directory folder" and paste them into your "RS2" mod-folder (the subfolder within the "RTW directory"), copy and replace. After this, recopy the Roma Surrectum 2 files if you didnt already into the "RS2" folder, copy and replace. Thats what I did.

I used the same method of install. For the Alexander, simply take all the contents within the "Alexander directory folder" and paste them into your "RS2" mod-folder (the subfolder within the "RTW directory"), copy and replace. After this, recopy the Roma Surrectum 2 files if you didnt already into the "RS2" folder, copy and replace. Thats what I did.
    Hmm - well, all of it seems to have worked (the game will boot up using the Alexander.exe), but when I get to the RS2 main menu, it doesn't recognize the faction I've put in (for example, -mod:pay_Sparta -show_err). It gives me the Battlefield option, so I know it's working, I just can't seem to get it to find the path to the specific faction folders.

Nix that; it seems the Spartan campaign didn't want to start, but the Dacians are willing to give it a go. I've come to the conclusion that expanding north isn't worth the effort, because SCREW the horselords of arrowy death.

Well I use the launcher so I cant help with the manual steam parameter method. You can look at post #4 if you would like to setup the launcher but i wish you good luck anyways.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

(for example, -mod:pay_Sparta -show_err)

should be:

(for example, -mod:play_Sparta -show_err)

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I actually went back to the files and noticed I had a 'pay_Sparta' folder in my files. I have NO idea how that happened, but it's fixed. Thanks again!