Thread: Looking for a new Laptop for Fall 2014

Default Looking for a new Laptop for Fall 2014

Hey guys.

I'm planning on getting a dedicated gaming laptop for Fall 2014 to replace my old one, so I'm curious if you guys got any suggestions.

Essentially, anything below 2.5k dollar works fine.

My only desires is that it should be portable & be easily transported around in a backpack, and be able to run most games to an acceptable level. If it's resistant to shock & damage that would be nice as well.

Also, what are the best gaming laptop manufacturers in your opinion? I've heard a lot of good about MSI.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Default Re: Looking for a new Laptop for Fall 2014

MSI and good things? That's something that doesn't happen often

If you can wait till Monday I can give you a better answer and a questionnaire for you to fill out.

And fall... Is what time of the year for you?

dosed, mixed and stirred, not shaken, from taptalk

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Autumn. It's just that they call it Fall in the US, and a lot of the media I consume is from that place

And what's your opinion of MSI?
    Last edited by SinerAthin; January 12, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

They make things that resemble PCs from time to time most of the time its something that you may want to use as a Frisbee

And autumn is very very far from now, I would ask you to open a new thread or revive this one when the time comes, we have 3q till that time and by them Intel will have launched new CPUs, nvidia and AMD with some help from the spaghetti flying monster may launch new GPUs

So a new line of PCs is going to come

dosed, mixed and stirred, not shaken, from taptalk
    Last edited by karamazovmm; January 12, 2014 at 09:15 PM.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Mythlogic. Clevo reseller, but they do full assembly and burn in. Great boutique.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by xcorps View Post
    Mythlogic. Clevo reseller, but they do full assembly and burn in. Great boutique.
    i like those guys very much, while they cost more, they also have the upgrade program, meaning you got one of their notebooks now and a couple of years and you pay less for the replacement

aside that they are our main vendors for parts, because they do custom vbios for gpus and so forth

They also have a nice accidental insurance policy. The replacement plan is supposed to upgrade parts at their cost, no labor for install plus testing.

I'm actually using the insurance now. My laptop fell off a desk and broke the LCD. They emailed me a shipping label, received it Tuesday and replaced the LCD today. They are testing tomorrow and shipping Monday. Won't cost me a dime.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

that as well, which is something that you don't see outside of aw

because asus barely makes something that works without you returning several times and they have terrible service

msi service is a joke and I don't think they offer ACD as well

I had high end Asus gaming laptop, I had to get 5 fan replacements. Even brand new, to run crysis 1 at 60fps you had to tolerate 100-102 temps on the video card with a cooling pad.

I did a lot of reading about MSI, I can't see spending 2 grand with them.

I will buy from Mythlogic again, but if they weren't available I'd probably go with falcon northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by xcorps View Post
    I had high end Asus gaming laptop, I had to get 5 fan replacements. Even brand new, to run crysis 1 at 60fps you had to tolerate 100-102 temps on the video card with a cooling pad.

I did a lot of reading about MSI, I can't see spending 2 grand with them.

I will buy from Mythlogic again, but if they weren't available I'd probably go with falcon northwest.
    asus quality assurance doesn't exist, thats why for people like the like ultra mobility with some power the UX302 doesn't exist, its supposed to be something good, but people buy that with the thought of how many times do I have to return that to get a notebook without a bended chassis, with fans that work, without backlight bleed from the monitor, with a functional touchpad, without bricking it because they can't make a decent UEFI and launch with it, so you need to update to actually get the performance you paid for and so on... thats a problematic list for a single notebook isn't it? its pathetic. and thats the UX line, their high end consumer line

To be fair what you are physically buying is a clevo chassis, what you are actually buying is the service, I don't know the service from falcon