Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the current General bodyguards and what should the be?

Emrys's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: What are the current General bodyguards and what should the be?

Balance can be achieved by changing the availability of the units. Yes the Ordonan General might be more powerful than the general of the Lanayru, but the goat lords are not as accessible. Make it so that the standard goat lords are harder to get leaving only the militia level troops of Ordona to make it balanced. The Roster itself balances itself out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    Balance can be achieved by changing the availability of the units. Yes the Ordonan General might be more powerful than the general of the Lanayru, but the goat lords are not as accessible. Make it so that the standard goat lords are harder to get leaving only the militia level troops of Ordona to make it balanced. The Roster itself balances itself out in the end.
    I think that is a bug.

--------
    "Honor, Wisdom, and The Freedom of the Common Man"-- The Code of The Republic

Mattwensley's Avatar Primicerius

A general's bodyguard can be overpowered, as Total War is not won through these units alone. Ordona has a weakness in lacking strong line units and professional troops as a whole, whereas Lanayru has an advantage in this area. Goat Lords are powerful yes, and maybe need to be nerfed a little, but are the core of a Ordonian battle group's hard hitters. Horsemen don't last long in melee and decent line soldiers are few and far between, whereas Lanayru gets professional soldiers far earlier. Goat Lords themselves suffer from ranged attacks and have low numbers, compared to other bodyguard units.
    ~~Knowledge is power, and I do not like the feeling of weakness~~
    ~~If it's a million to one shot, I'll make sure I'm the one~~

Quote Originally Posted by Mattwensley View Post
    A general's bodyguard can be overpowered, as Total War is not won through these units alone. Ordona has a weakness in lacking strong line units and professional troops as a whole, whereas Lanayru has an advantage in this area. Goat Lords are powerful yes, and maybe need to be nerfed a little, but are the core of a Ordonian battle group's hard hitters. Horsemen don't last long in melee and decent line soldiers are few and far between, whereas Lanayru gets professional soldiers far earlier. Goat Lords themselves suffer from ranged attacks and have low numbers, compared to other bodyguard units.
    ...However the one thing general's units can't be is the weak link in an army (especially early-game). Thus Bodyguard units in vanilla tend to be armoured, versatile units like heavy cav.

There's also a lore aspect; bodyguard should seem like an elite (possibly even handpicked) unit and one that the general can rely upon for security as well as safety. Thus Sheikah Truthbearers, Twili Messengers, Ordona Goat Lords, Ikana Nobles, that sort of thing.

And now for some random thoughts...
    -Having low-numbers Goat Lords as bodyguard also makes the Ordona general into a miniboss of sorts, something that takes centre-stage of the battlefield, and might make pretty interesting fighting (which, given the usual quality of Ordona melee, they kind of need).
    -Zora, they need survivability in their bodyguard, so Shock Troops will do better than the more assault-oriented Blademasters.
    -Lizalfos may need something tougher than Song Sayers to protect the general (although imediate access to the 'inspire allies' thing is useful). I support Aroun's choice of Dinalfos, actually.
    Taram Chalco - Elizabeth Westcliffe - Kesaris - Erika Homewood - Kalian Benton Galhansen

--The Infinite Notebook of Perpetually Unfinished Squirrel Sketches--

Apani's Avatar Senator

Aren't Shock Troopers just as Combat-oriented, if not more, as Blademasters? Zora Infantry, with their "Spears" (Halberd/Poleaxe thingies) should be the best defenders. That, or Bigocto Riders.

Shock Troopers have slightly higher stats than Blademasters, and are unlocked later. Bigoctos are less survivable, I've found...
    Taram Chalco - Elizabeth Westcliffe - Kesaris - Erika Homewood - Kalian Benton Galhansen

--The Infinite Notebook of Perpetually Unfinished Squirrel Sketches--

Apani's Avatar Senator

I think generals should be mounted, regardless of protection.

Typically, vanilla's generals bodyguards are just made of the strongest mounted warriors around, regardless of protection; I remember some generals from vanilla games using War Chariots.

That said, current stats should not be accounted for, they're more placeholders than else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12