Thread: Keeping special general`s unit after birbing

Default Keeping special general`s unit after birbing

Hi, this is one of my first posts but i have been followed this mod for a long time.
    I have 3 questions:
    When i successfully birbed a special General, for ex. Zhao Yun, his special unit (in this case Zhao Yun Qubu) disappeared and was replaced by a ordinary general unit (Zhongyuan General Qubu). It was a pity that the special unit no longer there for me. So:
    1) Is there any way for me to keep the original unit of the general after birbing.
    This also lead to my second question:
    2) After being birbed, on the campaign map, some special Generals`s appearance change to a standard one. Guan Yu was no longer holding a long big sword, Zhao Yun lost his cool amor, Zhang Fei became a thin guy. In short, every special General now look all the same and it is very boring to me. Is there any way to fix this problem?
    3) After being birbed, the stars of a general seems always drop, i can name some example, Lu Bu only have 8 command instead of 10, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei 7,... Can anyone explain to me why this happen? I am playing on VH, VH option, is the AI get bonuses when owning those generals or i am missing something?

Default Re: Keeping special general`s unit after birbing

yeah i saw this problem too when I recruit niu jin

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Quote Originally Posted by TTK154 View Post
    Hi, this is one of my first posts but i have been followed this mod for a long time.
    I have 3 questions:
    When i successfully birbed a special General, for ex. Zhao Yun, his special unit (in this case Zhao Yun Qubu) disappeared and was replaced by a ordinary general unit (Zhongyuan General Qubu). It was a pity that the special unit no longer there for me. So:
    1) Is there any way for me to keep the original unit of the general after birbing.
    This also lead to my second question:
    2) After being birbed, on the campaign map, some special Generals`s appearance change to a standard one. Guan Yu was no longer holding a long big sword, Zhao Yun lost his cool amor, Zhang Fei became a thin guy. In short, every special General now look all the same and it is very boring to me. Is there any way to fix this problem?
    3) After being birbed, the stars of a general seems always drop, i can name some example, Lu Bu only have 8 command instead of 10, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei 7,... Can anyone explain to me why this happen? I am playing on VH, VH option, is the AI get bonuses when owning those generals or i am missing something?
    1) In order for this to happen, the specific unit must have texture files, UI files, unit card files, BMDB entries, and EDU entries for every faction that you want it to be available for. In the case of Zhao Yun, his unit only has files/entries for Liu Clan and Youzhou. For him to be available to every faction, files/entries would have to be created for about 20 more factions. Needless to say, doing this for one unit is a bit of work. To do this for every unique bodyguard unit (75-100), it would be a painstakingly long process.

2) Each faction is only allowed 7 unique strat map models, with many factions having all of their unique slots filled up. To have a unique strat map model, a character must have a unique trait that assigns to a specific strat model for that specific faction. With our mod, it is impossibly for characters to retain their strat_models across all, or even another, factions.

3) Yes, AI bonus for that general.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Thank you for your quick answer. However, for the 1st question, what if i just copy those files from the original faction and put it into my current faction folder. That means i dont care about changing the color of the unit, appearance, etc... All i want is just exactly the same what it was, how can i do this? I tried copying the .tga files in data/ui/units and units_info but it still doesnt work. I know i am missing something, there must be something else i must copy, related to something like BMDB and EDU as you said. Can you give me more details on that?

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

You can copy over the .tga files as you did, but you need to do it for both ui/unit_info & ui/units. However BMDB will require that you know what you are doing. I HIGHLY recommend that you make a copy of BMDB before messing with it. I also will not give a full tutorial on how to change BMDB correctly, you will need to do research on your own. I will just give general info. If you mess up you game, you are on your own.

In export_descr_unit:
    - Find the unit you want to change (Zhao Yun's buqu is named JiangJun_ZhaoYun)
    - Near the end of the unit's entries, you will see the Ownership, Era 0, and Era 1 entries
    - Add whatever factions you want to this for all three of those entries
    - Find the "soldier" entry for this unit (soldier should be named yanyuntieqi)
    - As a note, you can add russia and aragon to this, as they already have the BMDB entries (for a different unit that uses the same model/texture). Although you would still need to copy over all sets of .tga files.

In battle_models.modeldb:
    - Find the soldier entry for Zhao Yun's buqu (yanyuntieqi)
    - You will see that each faction has 2 separate entries (one is 4 lines, the other is 3 lines). Those two entries are required for each of whatever factions you want to add.
    - Copy the entirety of the "aragon" entries and past them below their corresponding existing aragon entries.
    - change the words "6 aragon" in the new entries you just made to whatever faction you want. The number is how many letters are in the line after it (ie: 7 normans , 5 egypt, etc.)
    - Now, depending on how many factions you added, you need to change two more numbers. Locate the "4" located directly above both "russia" entries. Change those 4 entries by adding however many factions you just added. If you added 1 faction then change both 4's to 5, if you added 2 factions then change those 4's to 6, etc.

Now Zhao Yun's personal unit should be available to the other factions you added if he joins them. Be aware that this WILL NOT allow Zhao Yun's personal battle model to be used, as battle models are tied to traits and other files that require a lot of editing and messing with game files.

Adding only the england (Cao Clan) faction to BMDB will look like this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    11 yanyuntieqi 
    1 1 
    40 unit_models/sanguo/yanyuntieqi_lod0.mesh 6400 
    6 russia 
    47 unit_models/sanguo/textures/yanyuntieqi.texture 
    51 unit_models/sanguo/textures/yanyuntieqi_nor.texture 
    42 unit_sprites/norway_yanyuntieqi_sprite.spr 
    5 moors 
    6 france 
    6 aragon 
    7 england 
    6 russia 
    51 unit_models/sanguo/textures/yanyuntieqi_nor.texture 0 
    5 moors 
    6 france 
    6 aragon 
    7 england 
    5 Horse 
    13 MTW2_HR_Spear 13 MTW2_HR_Sword 
    21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    Last edited by Seether; January 06, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Ok, i got it. Thank you for your instructions

I think there are too many unique BGs. Like why do we need a Li jue buqu or a Yan Gang buqu. Maybe u guys could just replace their Buqu with the standard horse BG for the faction. seems like be easier. Only the extremely unique BG that actually have unique battle models from the standard BG model(like Zhao Yun) should be different and they should not be named Zhao Yun Buqu but an actual unit name.

Also I don't think you will ever get the bribed generals BG. If u play as gongsun zan and try to bribe a He bei infantry BG general from Yuan shao it still changes to the generic default he bei horse BG. I think it is a game engine thing with bribing generals.