Thread: Target of total assassination?!

Default Target of total assassination?!

I'm very new to Medieval Total War so I have a question.

Some info first:
    I started playing my first campaigne with Italy. I built, built and built again... prospered of course. I've managed to avoid war. Well I had one battle in the sea but I settled it. My army is big and so on... blaa blaa... Now I am constantly bombarded by assassins from all over the place. About 3 attempts every move and all working for my allies(mostly). SO WTF!

So the real question is that is this a common tactic for CPU players or is this because I'm strong and I have powerful allies? I made multiple counter assassination with a big smile on my face but is there any other way to stop murders except border forts? Does it help if you have your own assasin in a province... you know to stop the other hitters?

Comments, please.
    Thanks!

KaerMorhen's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Target of total assassination?!

Yes it may help to have an assassin "guarding" your important characters. I can't say much about AI because I haven't played MTW for "ages", I remember sometimes it behaves very annoing but it's only AI. Hope in M2TW advancement and improvement of AI will be huge.

Having your own assassin won't prevent enemy assassins. Having a spy in the province should though. And yes it is a common tactic. Doesn't matter how friendly you are with a faction they will still always try to assassinate your men.

So if your own assasin won't help you spotting enemy assasins, what is the point having a assasin counterspying?
    It works like an emissary would... just spying...
    Last edited by DonIthe1st; October 04, 2006 at 02:40 AM.

Now that I think about it, they might help. However, if you have a big assassin problem you will need spys counterspying. Also you could strike back. After training an assassin you need to valor him up. Have him target only emissaries passing through your territory at first. As he starts getting valor stars move onto more dangerous targets. Once you have an assassin with a couple stars he should be able to take down enemy generals. If one of those assassins is lucky enough not to get caught and it gets a bunch of stars, you can use him to take out faction leaders. My favorite tactic when I played single player was to have hordes of assassins and assassinate every factions heirs and leader.

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

another fun thing to do (when bored) is to launch an assasin bomb on a rival leader. Train up about 20 assasins and send them out all at once. At least one of them will get the old bugger. Great thing to do to a pope who has excommunicated you.
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

yeah, I noticed that prinsesses are easy targets when they are not in their own land. Even with a poor valour your success is pretty certain. Cold but excellent way to train assassins

wopup2's Avatar Laetus
    In the suburbs of Philidelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

Happens to me ALL THE TIME. Fortunately, if you expand your empire, there seem to be a bunch of weaker targets for assassins. (That can be good or bad). Fortunately, I've lost only a handfull of generals that were remotely valuable.

Having your general in larger stack of soldiers helps a lot. (Understandably; a general with more men is harder to kill)
    Having several espionage units in a province helps too. Praticularly spys and assassins.
    Edit: OOps! Almost forgot. I think having a general in the casle building may help. I may be wrong. :hmmm:

As I start the next turn(in MTW), I just quickly go through all the message bars. Most of them thell me of failed assassination attempts.
    Last edited by wopup2; October 11, 2006 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Gramitical errors
    Never spend an hour to save a thousand soldiers, when you can spend a thousand soldiers to save and hour.
    --So-Crates