Thread: What's up with the campaign map?

Brivime's Avatar Ordinarius

Default What's up with the campaign map?

there is an Ottoman faction but the map ends in Istanbul I don't really get that also not to mention one of the most interesting parts of WW1 was the Arab revolt which happened in the levant

The original vanilla map goes up to Iraq at least, how come there is not even the rest of Turkey let alone an Arab revolt?

i mean it just seems messed up

I mean the European factions are cool and all but I personally would rather a playable Arab faction to fight the Ottomans and an actual ottoman empire to fight the arab revolt considering it's one of the most important parts of Ottoman history

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Re: What's up with the campaign map?

The original vanilla map goes up to Iraq at least, how come there is not even the rest of Turkey let alone an Arab revolt?
    I think you're confusing this with Empire Total War, vanilla NTW includes the same ares as TGW does.

I agree that the middle eastern theatre is one of the most interesting campaigns in the entire war, because of this we are planning on releasing a middle eastern campaign using the Egypt campaign from NTW. It is rather limited but will still give us a great deal of enjoyable gameplay.

Part of this campaign will include the Arab revolt with custom Arab units.

EDIT: Heres a map of the vanilla Egypt campaign we will be using...

Last edited by B-DizL; January 01, 2014 at 01:49 PM.

awesome, will they be new units or some battle map custom ? : D

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    awesome, will they be new units or some battle map custom ? : D
    There will be lots of new everything.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    I think you're confusing this with Empire Total War, vanilla NTW includes the same ares as TGW does.

I agree that the middle eastern theatre is one of the most interesting campaigns in the entire war, because of this we are planning on releasing a middle eastern campaign using the Egypt campaign from NTW. It is rather limited but will still give us a great deal of enjoyable gameplay.

Part of this campaign will include the Arab revolt with custom Arab units.

EDIT: Heres a map of the vanilla Egypt campaign we will be using...

All of Cyprus and Egypt, including desert regions, should be owned by the British. The Arabs should start owning only Hedjaz, and be allied to the British. The Ottomans should own the rest. The French could appear as a "guest faction", but they should not own any territory at the start.
    A message to CA:

Either care about history or improve modding support.

as much as I want the Middle-East conflict,I suggest to finish the polishing and fixing first....like completing the appropriate rifle models of each nations,fixing bugs and errors (specially the top level barracks bug) and give unit cards to every nation not just major factions,and to give pictures to unit information card......also add more varieties because it seems many faction have identical units like the Ottomans where their Elite,Line and Militia are all identical and look alike to each other,no distinction in their uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by hameem123 View Post
    as much as I want the Middle-East conflict,I suggest to finish the polishing and fixing first....like completing the appropriate rifle models of each nations,fixing bugs and errors (specially the top level barracks bug) and give unit cards to every nation not just major factions,and to give pictures to unit information card......also add more varieties because it seems many faction have identical units like the Ottomans where their Elite,Line and Militia are all identical and look alike to each other,no distinction in their uniforms.
    I agree. There is still a humungous amount of work to do on the main campaign before starting the Arab one.
    A message to CA:

While we appreciate suggestions, and especially reports of bugs/balancing issues, it's very difficult for someone outside the dev group to gauge a) our goals and b) the most efficient allocation of labor. I recommend waiting until we actually announce our next update to comment on priorities.
    Last edited by King Sama; January 09, 2014 at 04:20 PM.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

What Sama said, but also, making all of the rifles for every nation and texturing then would take 2-3 times longer than making a middle eastern campaign. The amount of work that goes into making just one rifle is immense. Same goes for making unit cards for every single faction.

forgive me for my "standpoint" because to be honest I know nothing about complex modding,my post was just merely a suggestion....also just to let you know if you guys know anything about it,I have this problem where I crash at exactly turn 30 after ending the turn no matter what nation i choose in the campaign.

MiG-23Flogger's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr Vasilyevich Suvorov View Post
    All of Cyprus and Egypt, including desert regions, should be owned by the British. The Arabs should start owning only Hedjaz, and be allied to the British. The Ottomans should own the rest. The French could appear as a "guest faction", but they should not own any territory at the start.
    You forgot that Egypt was semi independent
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultanate_of_Egypt
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Egypt

MiG-23Flogger's Avatar Foederatus

And the French could appear on the Syrian or Lebanese coast owning a single region.

Quote Originally Posted by MiG-23Flogger View Post
    With strong emphasis on the "semi". Egypt was not independent until 1922, hence the Universal Declaration of Independence and the 1919 protests, and even then it remained a British puppet until the 1952-1953 revolution. Egypt was a British protectorate, but it was very much British during World War 1. Therefore, it should be owned by Britain.

The western desert of Egypt could be owned by the Senussi who, supported by the Turks and Germans, fought the British in Western Egypt and Sudan. The rebellion did not begin until 1915, but if it could be scripted it could add more depth to the campaign.

No French colonies, mandates or anything similar existed in the area during the war. The French and Italians should only appear as expeditionary forces. By the time France gets Syria, the campaign is over.
    A message to CA:

Libertus

This mod is not realistic enough, thoughts, Technologies, units are ok but German Empire is the biggest power in that mod. Especially Great Britain is not active that it was in real ww1. Also AI is not agressive enough.

Grand campaign is the biggest problem but if it is possible it must be prepared.

wouldn't want seeing this theater campaign as being based on those funny depiction movies that is full of inaccuracies.

What "funny depiction movies" do you mean? Lawrence of Arabia? That film is extremely inaccurate, but I expect the developers know that already.
    A message to CA:

Inaccurate? We base all of our modding on movies. Our combat is straight from Warhorse, and the AI was modelled after Joyeux Noel.

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    Inaccurate? We base all of our modding on movies. Our combat is straight from Warhorse, and the AI was modelled after Joyeux Noel.
    If combat was based on War Horse then why do my cavalty keep getting mown down? ;P

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianReject View Post
    If combat was based on War Horse then why do my cavalty keep getting mown down? ;P
    Its called "Sarcasm" lol hahahaha!

also would be better guys if you focus on the Ottomans now if you are going to make this....because the Ottomans in the Grand Campaign have less features and content than other Major Nations.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

The Ottomans are planned to have a boost to content when we go ahead with the Middle East campaign.