Thread: Questions concerning graphics settings

Default Questions concerning graphics settings

Hello,

I haven't played in some time, and I am looking forward to playing this great mod once again after some time away, being busy and all.

I just have a few questions concerning settings:

1. Why are there two different areas to configure settings: one in the in-game menu and one in the launcher? Do I need to set both or set one and forget about the other one?

2. What is the recommended graphics settings for the best possible aesthetics? I seem to recall that someone on these forums said that I should set the unit details to high instead of highest because they were better that way for this mod, for some reason. Is this true?

3. Should AA be enabled? Does it work?

Default Re: Questions concerning graphics settings

Anyone?

umm. everything on high if your computer can handle it, if it starts to lag, start take some things down. Start with AA, it works but isn't worth the FPS, imo. Vegetation and grass probably takes up the most resources everything else pretty much cost very little in the way of performance. All computer configs are different, you just have to experiment and find out what works best for your machine. You can use Fraps (its free) to see your FPS and for in-game pics, I recommend. Good luck.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by the man, the myth, the legend View Post
    umm. everything on high if your computer can handle it, if it starts to lag, start take some things down. Start with AA, it works but isn't worth the FPS, imo. Vegetation and grass probably takes up the most resources everything else pretty much cost very little in the way of performance. All computer configs are different, you just have to experiment and find out what works best for your machine. You can use Fraps (its free) to see your FPS and for in-game pics, I recommend. Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply.

I realize that setting everything to maximum should, in theory, make the game look its best; that is the case with most every game. However, I recall reading somewhere in these forums that setting unit detail to high in this particular gives the same exact result as highest. I was just wondering if that was common knowledge and if it is true or not.

Also, I don't understand why the launcher asks you to set graphics options when you are still able to edit them from the main in-game menu?
    Last edited by pokeytrev; January 02, 2014 at 06:52 PM.

it doesn't matter where u will edit graphics. it's just editing in launcher is better. if u edit settings in game, next time u go to settings in launcher, it will change to what u have setup there.

neep's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by the man, the myth, the legend View Post
    In older posts, and in some excellent background material from the developers, it was explained that the unit and vegetation details are the same between 'high' and 'highest'. So you don't get better looking objects displayed.
    There is 'trick' where, after a certain distance from your viewpoint, the 3D models are replaced by 2d models. You don't really notice the difference and it reduces the graphics load on your machine.
    What the 'highest' option does is tell the program to use 3D models for all distances. This won't give you a better looking picture and it will just overload your GPU - unless you're using NASA's mainframe to play the game.
    Recommendation - Use 'HIGH'

Ant-Aliasing - again I saw this when playing archeologist in the forums. Switch off in the application and have your GPU manage this, ignoring the application settings.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 with 1GB, that runs everything on 'High' and hardware anti-aliasing.
    It runs at 95-99% utilization for the battles and the temperature never gets above 55 degrees C

SD_Man's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by neep View Post
    In older posts, and in some excellent background material from the developers, it was explained that the unit and vegetation details are the same between 'high' and 'highest'. So you don't get better looking objects displayed.
    There is 'trick' where, after a certain distance from your viewpoint, the 3D models are replaced by 2d models. You don't really notice the difference and it reduces the graphics load on your machine.
    What the 'highest' option does is tell the program to use 3D models for all distances. This won't give you a better looking picture and it will just overload your GPU - unless you're using NASA's mainframe to play the game.

Ant-Aliasing - again I saw this when playing archeologist in the forums. Switch off in the application and have your GPU manage this, ignoring the application settings.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 with 1GB, that runs everything on 'High' and hardware anti-aliasing.
    It runs at 95-99% utilization for the battles and the temperature never gets above 55 degrees C
    Everything? Even vegetation, shadows, and bloom? I doubt it, unless of course you have a monster CPU.

Look, i used to run everything almost on high on my old computer with a pentium 4 3,2 ghz, 2 gb ram and a geforce 270( 1 gb )
    The only thing that matters is processor speed, as everyone else said
    Of course i didn't set bloom, nor vegetation models/unit models to high resolution
    I tried high resolution vegetation( the one you can set from the launcher) on my new laptop, but it couldn't handle it, even with an i7 3,4 ghz
    It can handle high resolution units
    Still got to try bloom
    One of the things i've alwais found to be cutting significantly the performance( you can appreciate the difference without fps program) are the shadows
    Last edited by LoGaL; January 06, 2014 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neep View Post

Yeah, I knew there was an older post somewhere; I just couldn't find it.
    So, there you have it: high will work just as well with this mod.