Thread: V4 Sycorax Fan Thread

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

Default V4 Sycorax Fan Thread

After countless hours playing Thera i finally decided to try a campaign as the Sycorax, they certainly make for a fun campaign. The mamucs are deadly and the Thunder Braves are straight up terrifying . My only confusion with the Sycorax is how quickly they are able to train these musket wielding units. In the description it's said that this unit is armed with muskets stolen in raids.. So let's look passed the fact that no one native to the Sycorax area uses muskets and therefore would make it hard to find muskets to raid in the first place, the lack of places to raid muskets from aside, the rate at which these units can be recruited is equal or greater then some native units that would be easier to equip. Currently the Thunder braves make up the backbone of my army, muskets seem to be in such great supply that it is hard to imagine they are getting such weapons through raids. In my opinion it would make for a much more interesting Sycorax campaign if these units were not available until later in the campaign or at least available at a much lower rate.

My mounted Thunder braves made short work of the Viking hordes in the east and quickly removed them from our lands entirely, they simply stood no chance against my mounted gunmen.

Default Re: V4 Sycorax Fan Thread

Never had good luck with gunmen. They seem to get so few kills against enemies.

What I do love them for is how quickly they rout enemies. The Mounted Thunderbraves are pretty awesome since they can cut down the routing units while causing lots of morale shock.

As for the muskets I guess it would make sense they are advancing very fast technologically by the time all the natural disasters start dispersing. They come into contact with the firepowder using factions pretty frequently so it would only make sense they adapted their neighbors' most powerful weapons.

P.S. Can anyone start a fan thread? There's some faction that don't have one that would yield interesting discussions.

I'd say go for it with starting fan threads, just make sure to check that there isn't already one for that faction.

It's been a long time since I played as the Sycorax, although admittedly it's been quite a while since I've actually played Thera at all really but I do remember those Thunder Braves being fantastic! It does seem a bit cheap to just spam them out, but they work so well compared to most of the other Sycorax units, other than the Mammucs which are just plain brilliant like all of the elephant type units.

With the muskets they're not too far from the Faustian colonies so I guess that'd be where they picked them up from? Must have been quite a few raids though to build up such a huge stockpile.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

They area good faction i never played campaign with them I have many times in custom battles, i love several of their units

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Macrath View Post
    Currently the Thunder braves make up the backbone of my army, muskets seem to be in such great supply that it is hard to imagine they are getting such weapons through raids. In my opinion it would make for a much more interesting Sycorax campaign if these units were not available until later in the campaign or at least available at a much lower rate.
    They're getting the weapons from the League of Privateers, from further to the east.
    There lies one of their provinces. I'm surprised you haven't met them yet.

The pirates need the Sycorax to act as a buffer between them and those pesky Paynals.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    They're getting the weapons from the League of Privateers, from further to the east.

The pirates need the Sycorax to act as a buffer between them and those pesky Paynals.
    Actually I remember reading somwhere that they had large trade connections with a certain "rebel" group of city-states near the Faustian Reich or the Merovangi (can't remember their name). But it said they were a wealthy city-state that got rich off the trade to the new world. Anyway your explanation does make more sense though .

Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post

I Have focused my expansion more to the east, taking Valhalan lands and Wotan Lands. Dracule Trembles in fear while taking refuge in their one remaining settlement. The Vashta stand strong as steadfast allies, the Pynal and Kuklukan hold the lands to the south and stay in good relations with the Sycorax, they make war on the Privateers and Faustian Reich. Just for the hell of it i sent an expeditionary force to assault Avalon, Taking Glastunbury and poised to strike at Castle Avalon shortly.

The privateers simply handing over thousands of guns does not make sense to me at all, especially when i have had no relations with them, and am not an enemy of the Paynal. Also the units description clearly says the weapons are received by raiding other peoples. Other theories as to how they are getting them is fine, But my issues has never been with the fact that they have the guns.. but instead with the fact that they have SO MANY guns so readily available so early in the game. The Thunder Braves are literally the backbone of each one of my forces, and if they are having trouble the Mamucs step in to dominate..pretty much anything..lol
    This is a great faction, and i am clearly a fan, i did start a fan thread afterall lol but being honest the Sycorax, so far are the easiest 100+ turn VH/VH campaign i have had so far(not saying it's a bad thing).. and i am only 4 factions away from a 100+turn campaign with every faction so thats saying a lot... Haven't used the Faustian Reich yet, looking forward to that, probably my last campaign.
    Last edited by Macrath; January 04, 2014 at 08:50 PM.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Cool I only used 4 factions in campaign mod my self I really should explore the others too.