View Poll Results: Should I buy Rome 2 while it's on SALE?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - you mean you haven't already?

19 46.34%
  • No - it's crap, your crap for even thinking about wasting your money!

20 48.78%
  • I don't know, and I don't care! Get a life and buy a real game!

2 4.88%

Thread: Rome 2 on Steam only $29.97. SHOULD I BUY?

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Rome 2 on Steam only $29.97. SHOULD I BUY?

Rome 2 is on sale and tomorrow is pay day. I have put off purchasing it for a while because of money and the awful reviews I read after release. Now it's 50 percent off..... so should I pull the trigger or what?

Yes or No and why?

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Default Re: Rome 2 on Steam only $29.97. SHOULD I BUY?

Buy it when it gets under 10$.

Yes if you plan on getting all the extras as well. Otherwise wait for Gold Edition.

Agreed Ishan.

I think January 1st is a good date.

IIRC Shogun 2 sold for max 7.49 USD on Jan 1st @ Amazon. Some other sites probably had similar sales.

Rome 2 might get the same treatment.

No shame in buying cheap for yourself as it's probably not a gift for someone else.

(Or get Gold Edition, heck that can be on sale too...)
    炸鸡

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Do you want it?

Depends really. If you just wanna try it out because you're curious about the latest TW, then sure, though there will probably be better discounts in the future, as others have stated. However, if you're looking to get a fun game for your money, then I would say no. No matter what the price is, the game still has a plethora of flaws which may very well render you unable to enjoy it at all, as was the case with many of my clanmates. In this scenario, you'll have wasted your money andtime on a poor game which you didn't like. Then there's the unlikely possibility that you'll actually enjoy the game. If so, then go for it.

All I can say is that as a TW player of 8 years, I didn't/don't rate the game at all.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

It'll be 75% off before the sale end. Wait for it. Then buy 2 and gift 1 copy to me.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Absolutely worth it for that price.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; December 30, 2013 at 09:34 PM.

DaciaJC's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    It'll be 75% off before the sale end. Wait for it. Then buy 2 and gift 1 copy to me.
    No, it won't. The daily deal, flash sale, and community vote discounts are the same for a given title and will remain the same for the duration of a sale.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by DaciaJC View Post
    No, it won't. The daily deal, flash sale, and community vote discounts are the same for a given title and will remain the same for the duration of a sale.
    Daily deals most if not all the times will get more discounts. You are correct about flash sale and community vote but I didn't remember Rome II have flash sale this time and they certainly lost to CIV V for the community vote.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Don't buy it.

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

It depends, do you really want it? If you really want it by all means, buy it; if you just want it so that you'll have all TW games, wait for a future steam-sale when it's like 10$ or 5$.

In it's current state is not really "unplayable" and there's a lot of people having fun with it, but don't expect too much, there are also a lot of people who really don't like it, it's not the same old TW you are used to, for me it's not worth 30$, but who knows, it might be worth it for you.

To be honest, I think that for 30$ you could probably get at least 3 games, all better than Rome II, in my opinion, when there are things like The Witcher 2, Mass Effect 2 at 5€ and Fallout New Vegas at 2.5€ and some really, really good indie games also around that price, getting a single mediocre game instead of all these seems foolish.

DaciaJC's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Daily deals most if not all the times will get more discounts. You are correct about flash sale and community vote but I didn't remember Rome II have flash sale this time and they certainly lost to CIV V for the community vote.
    Rome II had a flash sale and you could see the discount it was slated to receive had it won the community vote. It was 50 percent off, just like the daily deal, just like it is with every game.

Quote Originally Posted by DaciaJC View Post
    Rome II had a flash sale and you could see the discount it was slated to receive had it won the community vote. It was 50 percent off, just like the daily deal, just like it is with every game.
    There's other sites to check too like Amazon at certain dates.
    炸鸡

Watch the sane critique video...

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Wow - 10 yes and 9 No - Not much help there. I do appreciate all the posts and advise.

I have been reading Colleen McCullough Masters of Rome series and it has me jacked up to dive into the Roman world. Don't think Rome 2 will quench that thirst but it is something. I have heard from quite a few people that it really doesn't have the feel of a "Total War" game. I'm really sad to hear that and that just may keep me from purchasing it. If I do get the game should I get Caesar in Gaul too?

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Rome II is much better now than it was at release when it got all of the hate. The major technical issues have in my experience all been fixed (except for the still mediocre Siege AI) and the game plays much better now. I'd say get it now if you want it, if you just want to see it and try it wait for a bigger discount.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I vote yes for that price. I paid 42 + 3$ for the blood dlc, and considered it worth it at the current stage.

only 2 problems ca needs to solve atm is the need for big end game ai empires on the campaign map(fighting ai factions with 1 or 2 settlements gets boring super fast) + a 100% working siege ai(8.1 seems to be very promising with a few glitches)

everything else is just a matter of taste and opinion. so I vote yes with a price tag of 30$ + all the dlcs besides the cig dlc = 40$ not bad at all.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Lathrim's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Buy it when it gets under 10$.
    Agreed.

Some bugs and optimisation issues may have been resolved, but the core gameplay is still really, really poor. As a TW vet you'll probably loathe it and be disgusted by the vast number of mind-bogglingly stupid design decisions made and the general direction the series seems headed towards. Have a look at Dr. Sane's 'critiques' if you have time - he outlines why this game is such a fail perfectly.

The game seriously isn't owrth playing over modded RTW.