Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A House Divided [A SAI 355 Campaign AAR]

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Default Re: A House Divided [A SAI 355 Campaign AAR]

Try it Vikior. Not that I want competition. Your AAR is pretty good.
    "It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought." -Scipio Africanus

"We will either find a way or make one." -Hannibal Barca

vikior's Avatar Semisalis

Hey guys! Long time no see. After I've ended this aar so abruptly in March, I thought that this was over and that I was never going to see this save game again. Well, that changed this morning when I took the hard drive from my old PC and plugged it into my new machine.

If there's one thing that I hate, then it's unfinished business. I want to write something, and I've got more than plenty of time on my hands lately. So, I'll most likely get back to this aar in the days to come.
    I've edited out the last two chapters after reading through the whole thing again. They just felt too rushed and just.... bad.

Well, wish me luck.

Chapter XVI: The State of the Empire

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    In the year 360, the Gallic Wars of Caesar Julian were at an end.
    After a difficult campaign against the Quadi on the Danube, the Caesar retired to the city of Arelate along with the rest of his field army.

The that the Caesar arrived to Arelate with his entire army just as the Augustus, Constantius II summoned him to Mediolanum was a bit strange, but he had no reason not to.
    The forces were in need of rest after five years of endless battles.

The veterans of the Ioviani and the Herculiani, along with the newly raised legion of the Prima Flavia Fortis, commanded by the Caesar in person.

A bit further to the north was the army of Valentinianus Flavius. A Christian, but a loyal soldier nonetheless. He was new to this post of commanding such elite troops, having been promoted from the commander of an ad hoc army that showed bravery in the Gallic Wars.

Then there was the army of Gaius Macrinus, the commander of the Auxilia Palatina. Most of the men were newly raised, mostly from the tribes that the Caesar Julian subjegated in his wars. It was strange that, in one moment, those wild tribes from across the Rhine were fighting against Rome, and in the other, they were the stalwart defenders of the Roman way of life.

Some of the more veteran troops were those of Aurelius Domitianus. He himself was from Italy, but he was here, on the frontiers, defending Rome. His men were those of the Flavia Victrix Constantina and some Pseudocomitatenses, bolstered by auxiliary German cavalry.

Next, there is Julius Athenaeus, a followere of the old gods and one of the Caesar's most loyal generals. He commanded the Cornuti and the Brachiati, men sworn to defend their Caesar until the death. Using his personal wealth, this man even raised a unit of cavalry to serve the Caesar.

And finally, last but not least, there was one of the heroes of the Gallic Wars, the Praetorian Prefect, Florentius Flavius. His men saw action in almost all major battles of the wars, having been across the Rhine three times. He was a follower of Christ, but, unlike many, he put his loyalties before his God, earning the Caesar's respect.

The men were getting restless. They have been without work for too long, and they were just waiting for the sign to go, ready to dismantle their camps and start their march in mere hours. Now, there is talk of a march on Italy amongst the troops, and the men are sharpening their swords, ever ready for war.
    But surely, they are just rumours...

Elsewhere, the situation... Well, it could be worse. It could always be worse.

Germania was at long last at peace, with the Franks being reduced to foederati and the Alemanni wiped out. One army, stationed in Argentoratum under the command of Arintheus, was enough to keep the Pax Romana there.

Hispania was at peace. All rebels, or people with rebellion on their mind had a change of heart after the fall of Tarraco. That day, the Caesar proved that no rebellion would be tolerated. Now, he was so certain of Hispanic loyalties that he removed the garrison from the province, sending it to the Limes Africanus, where those troops proved their bravery against the Berbers on numerous occasions.

The only real frontier that the Empire still had in the West was the newly conquered province of Caledonia.
    Britannia to the south was at peace, but the Scotii and the Picti constantly revolted against Roman rule in Caledonia.

North of the Aelian Wall, the Romans tried to keep control by building a number of forts to keep the local population in good order, but the strategy wasn't really all that successful.

That province, although frequently on the Caesar's mind, is still lacking troops, and with Constantius II in Mediolanum, the Caesar can't afford to send any troops to Britannia. The province will have to fend for itself...
    Last edited by vikior; January 07, 2015 at 05:01 AM.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Great to see you return to this. You've carved yourself quite the Empire there. However, that is quite an interesting situation in Scotland there. Like a powder keg ready to explode. +rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Great to see you return to this. You've carved yourself quite the Empire there. However, that is quite an interesting situation in Scotland there. Like a powder keg ready to explode. +rep

Thanks, Scottish King. I'm quite determined to finish this, despite any setbacks. As for the situation in Scotland, well, the new update will deal with that more closely, I think.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234